Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using bike handlebar tape as a steering wheel cover

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Using bike handlebar tape as a steering wheel cover

https://www.amazon.com/Novpeak-Handl.../dp/B07D72SXJZ

I was thinking of wrapping my steering wheel in the same tape that is used on a road bike's curly handlebars:

Do you think it will come out well? The price is $6.99 shipped

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Do you think it will come out well? The price is $6.99 shipped
    Personally, I would think twice about it. Kinda like getting a tattoo - might be irreversible. Actually I put a sticker on my PS3, and then took the sticker off years later.. there's still a mark. Just one thing to think about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Why not give it a try?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i just noticed that this brand has no adhesive at all so i wonder how I will "glue it down" when I get to the very end. Maybe i will use some crazy glue. Or wrap the very last part in Super Tape from Harbor freight tools.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or just buy a steering wheel cover for the mirage?
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Apparently there is tape for exactly what you are trying to do and it all looks pretty snazzy.

There's lots of things that use tape to improve grip - tennis rackets & hockey sticks come to mind as well as handlebars. Materials include simple cotton cloth, string, cork, leather and good old plastic. Some have adhesive, some do not (because of their grippy makeup they just don't need it.) Some grip tape comes with a small strip of tape to finish off the end. All need periodic replacement.

It's not something I would consider doing to my steering wheel, but I can see what you are going for and definitely encourage it.

PS be careful with leather, it gets slippery when wet. A leather wrapped steering wheels sounds good until your palms get sweaty, maybe more of a problem in Florida?
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-03-2020 at 05:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, i think I will abort on this idea. And just get a dedicated steering wheel cover.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There's lots of things that use tape to improve grip - tennis rackets & hockey sticks come to mind as well as handlebars. Materials include simple cotton cloth, cork, leather and good old plastic. Some have adhesive, some do not (because of their grippy makeup they just don't need it.) Some grip tape comes with a small strip of tape to finish off the end. All need periodic replacement.

It's not something I would consider doing to my steering wheel, but see what you are going for and definitely encourage it.
    Yeah I see many members have their steering wheel start to flake off so i want to take steps to prevent that from happening by wrapping the steering wheel. This way when I sell the car used I can just take the wrap off andf the steering wheel will be in mint condition. I also removed the factory floor mats and put them into storage and i just got some generic rubber ones to use. For same goal: When i sell the car used i can put the factory mats back in and they will be perfect.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No reason it wouldn't work. Wrap it nice and tight with proper overlap. Plan it so that the end is in an inconspicuous place where you're not going to hit it with your hand and tie it off with some string. Glue won't do it. Tape would peel up. Wrap the end with a couple wraps of string and tie securely.

But, really, I'd spend a few more bucks and get a nice leather Wheelskins cover. Take the time to install it properly and it will last forever. Also adds just a little bit of thickness to the wheel, which I like.

This one may or may not be the correct size, but this is what I'm talking about:
    https://www.amazon.com/Wheelskins-WS.../dp/B00A2VKU0W
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I am going to go with this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBFL1MU

Its a chinese generic version of the Wheelskins. 10 dollars