Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brakes longevity, front and rear - ballpark average lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    We need to save fossile fuel,
    I save fuel in my car. Then in the summer I probably burn through a few years worth of fuel in my truck, generator and side by sides. I might have to pick up one of those e-hummers https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    165/65R14 winter tyres on now, legal requirement here. There is absolutely no shortage of winter, all-season or summer tyres in these parts.
    There are plenty of similar sized or smaller cars in these parts. We need to save fossile fuel, and have already done a lot to reduce our carbon footprint, albeit there's plenty more to do.
    Ya eh, I read in National Geographic that Germany can power their entire electric grid with renewable energy some summer days, when the sun, and the wind, is strong. With the optimal conditions. Renewables is the wave of the future.

Big fossil fuel rocket going up into space later today in Florida.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Ya eh, I read in National Geographic that Germany can power their entire electric grid with renewable energy some summer days, when the sun, and the wind, is strong. With the optimal conditions. Renewables is the wave of the future.
    That already created as many jobs as in the auto industry.
    Cars with combustion engines can not be registered as new vehicles or be re-registered to a new owner after 2030.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    11 billion - projected world population by 2100. There is no amount of renewable energy that can cope with that amount of resource drain. It's the elephant in the room that scientist are scared to talk about. Either we support a mandatory 2 child policy for the world and re-embrace nuclear technology or continue on to the future resource wars. Sounds like science fiction I know.

It's crazy to imagine everyone driving electric cars. I guess it was crazy to imagine the world before internet, smart phones and bluetooth.
    Looks like there may be some work to do...California banning gas and diesel by 2035?

"The oldest American power lines date back to the 1880s, and most of today’s grid was built in the 1950s and 1960s with a 50-year life expectancy. When these poles, wires, and transformers went up decades ago, the system was initially overbuilt, with growing demand anticipated, says Alexandra von Meier, an electrical engineer at the University of California, Berkeley. But now, it’s reaching capacity and old equipment is flickering out." https://www.popsci.com/story/environ...0more%20common.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you inspect the inside pads? Last time I rotated my tires, I tried to check the front pads, but I could only see the outside ones. Seemed like there was junk in the way to see the inside pads. And on previous cars, the inside pads always wore out first.

Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    How do you inspect the inside pads? Last time I rotated my tires, I tried to check the front pads, but I could only see the outside ones. Seemed like there was junk in the way to see the inside pads. And on previous cars, the inside pads always wore out first.
    Umm, pull the wheel and look at the pads. There is a little window cutout on the caliper where you can see both pads just fine.

If in doubt either post some pics here or take it to a shop and have them sell you new brakes while you still have 50-60% left.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Fummins. I'll have to look for that window.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks again. That's helpful.