Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4000 rpm going uphill bad for the car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe it was not 5 minutes lol but definitely more than 1... maybe around 3? It was not a ramp. You merge onto the freeway that continues to gradually incline. The car did feel a little underpowered that day for some reasons... I have driven uphill many times and never hit 4000 rpm. I swear the CVT has the mind of its own

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're absolutely not hurting anything revving this engine to 4000 rpm for 5 minutes, or 5 hours. Might be using more fuel than necessary, though.

The CVT has some strange programming, though. The short period I spent with one (road trip from FL to KS earlier this year) in a 2018 that hadn't had the CVT reflashed would do some weird stuff occasionally.

Relevant to this thread, a couple times I found myself going up a slight incline or with a constant headwind (or both) and because there was constant load, the trans would never "shift" into its highest gear. At least, that's they way you'd think of it if it were a typical automatic transmission. It would stay there for a long, long time. Probably forever. As long as the load never changed. But, as soon as I noticed that the revs were higher than they should be (maybe 4k or so) and just lifted off of the throttle for a millisecond... then the computer would sense that I was done "accelerating", and go into cruise mode with a higher gear ratio and lower RPM.

If you're going up a SIGNIFICANT hill, then the CVT is going to keep you in an appropriate gear range to get you up the hill. You might see 4-5k rpm, maybe even more if you're giving it hard throttle. It's okay! The engine is designed to rev up to 7,000 rpm!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last year, I remember this drive (around this area) was pretty hardcore for my rental. We rented a Toyota Corolla. It wasn't struggling but man, it was trying really hard to keep up with traffic speeds. Because there are spots where it's just going up.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 9.35.51 AM.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  96.9 KB

Like others have said, I don't think it cause major issues unless you're really low on oil/fluids.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I usually drive mine on a 45 degree slope hills of Anaheim Hills where in it takes me 5-10 mins to get to the top of the hill...rpm are between 5000-6000...the only problem I see is that you'll get to the top really slow...turn off your ac to gain a little power...I release the gas for a millisecond just like Loren said and the you can feel the car like shifting gears...the fan automatically kicks in if you reached a certain temp on your engine...