Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for rear shocks!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    Just looked these up, and they sell them at O'Reilly for $30 each. I might call my mechanic and mention them.
    I had to get my rear drums from a dealer. My private shop put them on for $300 plus front pads, but that was only because he honored his original quote. Even after having to spend $600 at the Mitsu dealership. He uses NAPA parts and had no problem getting aftermarket front pads but twice, the brakeshoes didn't fit from what he ordered. It was a real pain. I think Mitsu does this to make a lot of money on the back end. $700 radiators too. Unbelievable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Just looked these up, and they sell them at O'Reilly for $30 each. I might call my mechanic and mention them.
    Have you ever had a 4 wheel alignment check done?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Just looked these up, and they sell them at O'Reilly for $30 each.
    Make sure they have them in stock. Looks like Rock Auto and Amazon don't have any stock of this model (see below). I also found them at NAPA.

The factory shocks are nothing special. If you can get those Monroes, go for it.

Mechanic quoted me at $420 for parts and labor.
    The list price of rear shocks is $140/each from the dealer. Add a slight mark-up for the parts, an hour of labor, tax, shop supplies, etc...and you're at $420.

If he can source these at O'Reilly, this job should cost you under $200.

Name:  monroe_5558.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  76.4 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-15-2021 at 01:18 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Have you ever had a 4 wheel alignment check done?
    I replaced the front tires about four months ago, and a wheel alignment was done then.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I replaced the front tires about four months ago, and a wheel alignment was done then.
    A 4 wheel alignment?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    What did the alignment report say about your rear axle? There are known problems with rear axle alignment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    A 4 wheel alignment?
    Haha, very good question. I assumed it was a 4-wheel alignment, but maybe not? The last time I know for sure I got a four-wheel alignment was about two years ago.

Is it possible the cupping problem is misalignment, and not the shocks?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What did the alignment report say about your rear axle? There are known problems with rear axle alignment.
    Didn't see or get an alignment report, unfortunately. It was an American Tire Depot. They replaced my front tires, and the service included an alignment.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Haha, very good question. I assumed it was a 4-wheel alignment, but maybe not? The last time I know for sure I got a four-wheel alignment was about two years ago.

Is it possible the cupping problem is misalignment, and not the shocks?
    The Mirage rear axle cannot be adjusted for alignment.

You ought to get an alignment check with a report and let us know how this turns out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I took my 2015 Mirage in for a tire pressure light that kept coming on. Turns out my rear passenger tire is "cupping," and the mechanic said the culprit is worn rear shocks that need to be replaced (along with the rear tires, which are almost due to be replaced anyway). But he's had trouble finding shocks that will work, and the dealer said it would take 7 to 10 days to get in.
    How often do you rotate your tires? Were they the original dunlops or???? How many miles are on your car?

Monroe makes shocks, unless yours are leaking or have a **** ton of miles and bounce down the road like a low rider, I'd save myself $400. Besides it'd take a shop 30 mins to replace both shocks unless they're only tool is a crescent wrench they work on the floor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)