Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Source for rear shocks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    Is it possible the cupping problem is misalignment, and not the shocks?
    Cupping is a shock problem. When a Mirage rear wheel alignment is really bad, one or both of your tires will typically look like this.

The factory rear shocks are pretty weak. I replaced them on my 2015 at 90,000 miles. I was amazed at how little effort was required to move them. The replacement shocks (new, take-off shocks from a 2017) weren't a lot better. For $30 each, the Monroes are a no-brainer.

If the shop quotes you $400 to replace your rear shocks with those Monroes, you need to find another shop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How often do you rotate your tires? Were they the original dunlops or???? How many miles are on your car?
    My car is at 115,000 miles now. I replaced all four tires at 70,000 miles (Vredestein Quatrac 5). I neglected to get them rotated, so the front tires had been stripped down and I replaced them at 105,000 miles. The rear ones have been in the back this whole time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Cupping is a shock problem. When a Mirage rear wheel alignment is really bad, one or both of your tires will typically look like this.
    Hmm...maybe it's not "cupping" then. Here's a photo:

Name:  IMG_20210115_085207.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  95.5 KB

The factory rear shocks are pretty weak. I replaced them on my 2015 at 90,000 miles. I was amazed at how little effort was required to move them. The replacement shocks (new, take-off shocks from a 2017) weren't a lot better. For $30 each, the Monroes are a no-brainer.

If the shop quotes you $400 to replace your rear shocks with those Monroes, you need to find another shop.
    My normal mechanic looked into it, and he too said he can only get the shocks from the dealer, and quoted me at $400. I'm guessing the Monroe ones are out of stock everywhere.
    Last edited by tbird89; 01-15-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm...maybe it's not "cupping" then. Here's a photo:
    It's hard to tell from that photo which wear pattern you have on those tires. It does look like a cupping pattern as opposed to a diagonal wear pattern.

If your car has 115,000 on the original rear shocks, they are toast. Have you called your local O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. to see if anyone has the 5558's in stock?

Your rear tires will be noisy with that wear pattern. But don't bother replacing them until you can get the shocks done at the same time. Otherwise you're just going to ruin your new tires again.

When you get new tires, try to find a place that will check your alignment for free so that you know your rear alignment isn't way off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's hard to tell from that photo which wear pattern you have on those tires. It does look like a cupping pattern as opposed to a diagonal wear pattern.

If your car has 115,000 on the original rear shocks, they are toast. Have you called your local O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. to see if anyone has the 5558's in stock?

Your rear tires will be noisy with that wear pattern. But don't bother replacing them until you can get the shocks done at the same time. Otherwise you're just going to ruin your new tires again.

When you get new tires, try to find a place that will check your alignment for free so that you know your rear alignment isn't way off.
    This is super helpful, thanks! In the meantime, is there much risk to driving the car? Unless I can find the 5558s in stock, it sounds like it'll be at least a week before I can get the shocks replaced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just called an O'Reilly Auto Parts near me. The guy said they'd have to special order the 5558s, but he's not sure if they're still available. He went ahead and put in a request for me, and should let me know by tomorrow whether they can order them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...is there much risk to driving the car?
    No risk...it's not hurting anything. I had a car with really badly cupped tires once (I was too cheap to buy shocks!) and they were just really noisy. My car sounded like I had 33" Super Swampers on it. That was a lesson learned the hard way. I ruined an expensive set of Michelin tires because I didn't want to spend another $200.

Let us know if they can still get the 5558 shocks.