Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2018 Mirage's Birthday

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My 2018 Mirage's Birthday

It has been exactly 2 years since I brought my 2018 Mirage SE home from the dealership. 2 years, 39,843 miles. A full set of pads and rotors for the front. 2 flat tire repairs. 1 full set of wipers, Full replacement of the spare tire cover, completely ruined back of the rear seat carpet, $1500 front end damage from hitting a racoon and an average 41.4 mpg combined. To say these little gas sippers lack power would be wildly understated, but I didn't buy it run a race. I bought it because of the great gas mileage. The brakes are the most disappointing thing about this car. They are terrible at best. Since I am putting 500 miles per week on the highway, the brakes are rather important. However, on my little Mirage, they suck.
    Ultimately, the car should last a few more years. Maybe 3 for me. Well served the purpose I bought it for. She isn't a luxury car, I would never drive across country with her, but for what I use it for, it is almost a perfect car.
    In conclusion, these cars have a pretty bad rating just about everywhere I have looked them up, but I am pretty glad I made this choice.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iriegnome For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-06-2020),Eggman (10-06-2020),inuvik (10-06-2020),MetroMPG (10-09-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Happy birthday, car. Very honest.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I agree. Here’s to many happy motoring years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats....I do agree that the brakes could be a little stronger, but its not awful. Overall I am pleased with mine as well.
    2018 Mirage SE CVT "ColorLine"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TJ18CVT For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-07-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    It has been exactly 2 years since I brought my 2018 Mirage SE home from the dealership. 2 years, 39,843 miles. A full set of pads and rotors for the front. 2 flat tire repairs. 1 full set of wipers, Full replacement of the spare tire cover, completely ruined back of the rear seat carpet, $1500 front end damage from hitting a racoon and an average 41.4 mpg combined. To say these little gas sippers lack power would be wildly understated, but I didn't buy it run a race. I bought it because of the great gas mileage. The brakes are the most disappointing thing about this car. They are terrible at best. Since I am putting 500 miles per week on the highway, the brakes are rather important. However, on my little Mirage, they suck.
    Ultimately, the car should last a few more years. Maybe 3 for me. Well served the purpose I bought it for. She isn't a luxury car, I would never drive across country with her, but for what I use it for, it is almost a perfect car.
    In conclusion, these cars have a pretty bad rating just about everywhere I have looked them up, but I am pretty glad I made this choice.
    Your only banking on your car lasting to 100k miles? You should get another 5 to 7 years if your only doing 20k miles a year. Car still looks good too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your only banking on your car lasting to 100k miles? You should get another 5 to 7 years if your only doing 20k miles a year. Car still looks good too.
    If it weren’t for rust and accidents we could make these little cars last for a long long time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If it weren’t for rust and accidents we could make these little cars last for a long long time.
    I see it as a win every year the 5-speed manual powertrain is sold in North America. Since the 2021 update has the same powertrain, it may just go another 4-5 years (if Mitsubishi survives in North America) at least. That could make it 10 years of used Mirages to pick from.

What are the odds of a little old lady selling a low mileage 5-speed manual Mirage 10-15 years from now?

I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva in 2004. It's the only vehicle I regretted selling afterwards. I should have kept it until the wheels fell off. Years later, I thought about filling that economy car void with a used Festiva & later a used Toyota Echo. Life at the time kept me from doing so.

New cars for $9,000 or less got my attention in 2017. I see myself keeping my Mirage for a long time. Unless someone make a better car for way less money, I will be content with what I have. I don't see someone making a better car for less money in the future either. My Mirage will be 3 years old on October 20th. No regrets so far!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I see it as a win every year the 5-speed manual powertrain is sold in North America. Since the 2021 update has the same powertrain, it may just go another 4-5 years (if Mitsubishi survives in North America) at least. That could make it 10 years of used Mirages to pick from.

What are the odds of a little old lady selling a low mileage 5-speed manual Mirage 10-15 years from now?

I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva in 2004. It's the only vehicle I regretted selling afterwards. I should have kept it until the wheels fell off. Years later, I thought about filling that economy car void with a used Festiva & later a used Toyota Echo. Life at the time kept me from doing so.

New cars for $9,000 or less got my attention in 2017. I see myself keeping my Mirage for a long time. Unless someone make a better car for way less money, I will be content with what I have. I don't see someone making a better car for less money in the future either. My Mirage will be 3 years old on October 20th. No regrets so far!
    This is funny only because we drove Festivas for a very long time. My father-in-law had 14 of them. Drive one until the front end dropped, push it aside for parts and start driving another. Great cars. Much more solid than the Mirage. But just as great for mpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    This is funny only because we drove Festivas for a very long time. My father-in-law had 14 of them. Drive one until the front end dropped, push it aside for parts and start driving another. Great cars. Much more solid than the Mirage. But just as great for mpg
    Those Festiva's were great little cars. Mazda 121's correct?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Those Festiva's were great little cars. Mazda 121's correct?
    They were called Mazda 121 & Kia Pride in other parts of the world. Tough little cars. 12" rims with 145SR12 tires.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (10-08-2020)