Thread: Spark discontinued in Australia

Spark discontinued in Australia

Welp, this was old news, but I somehow missed it... or I forgot that I knew it. Either is possible.

Spark axed in Australia

In May of 2018, just 67 Australians bought a Spark, compared to a whopping 484 Kia Picantos (the segment leader). That's why they killed it.

As a result, it appears the Mirage has slightly grown its market share in the city car segment, while the overall segment is still shrinking.

Related thread: Mirage vs Kia Picanto

---

Funny that it's the opposite situation in Canada. In the last couple of years, the Spark has absolutely dominated the Spark/Mirage/Micra fight.

EG: last month's sales

Spark: 663
    Micra: 413
    Mirage: 96

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow thats crazy that the Spark is winning in Canada. That car is so hated that even GM hates it. =)

Its a completely inferior product compared to Mirage. I would wager that it has to do with SEO and Google search results. Goggle probably showing that hit-piece video from Dan Demuro on the first page of results.

When I test drove the Spark in 2016 it was such a piece of shet. Underpowered golf cart with a fancy touchscreen radio is how I remember it. It was a toy, a joke and associated with General Motors reputation for reliability.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)