Thread: Piddles :: 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage ES Hatch (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Piddles
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES Hatch
    Infrared Metallic
    CVT

Details

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"
    Daox Rear Sway Bar
    OEM Rear Bumper Garnish
    OEM Fog Lights
    OEM Side Sill Extensions
    S-V.4 LED Bulbs (Headlight + Fog Lights)

•  

OEM Armrest
    OEM Cruise Control
    OEM Weatherproof Floormats / Trunk Liner
    USB Charger (Button Blank Left of Steering Wheel)

•  

JVC CS-J620 Speakers (Replaced OEM)

•  

Stock

•  

Stock

•  

Maxxim Maze SIlver 15x6.5"
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus Touring ECO Tire 185/55R15

•  
    Comments: 9 / Views: 4434
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally have (mostly) everything installed on the car that I want. Still waiting on the roof rack from Mitsubishi...

Was able to take Piddles out today and go for a drive on the Cascade Loop here in the Pacific Northwest. Ended up hitting the "Seattle Northcountry" and "Stevens Pass" section of the loop and having a relaxing time. The country here is beautiful. Was raining most of the day with areas of standing water on the road. Was moving pretty fast (60mph+ on twisty mountain roads) on 40psi+ tires, but luckily didn't run into any issues with hydroplaning. The tires are new, but still happily surprised (and alive). I previously owned a Monte Carlo SS and can remember the front tires turning into skis on more than one occasion. May have been going a little faster than 60mph at the time, though...

That being said, let it be added to the logs that Piddles was able to push ~95mph for a short period of time today. Had it flat out on a straight and clear section of mountain road. I think the Mirage land speed record is ~112mph, so we were getting there. Good times! The Subaru WRX behind me did not want to have anything to do with my speed experiments, though, which was a shame. Always nice to have a pace car!
    Last edited by PityOnU; 10-11-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Looking good and to me your experience with driving your Mirage “assertively” lol is one of it’s selling points. You can flog it and still get decent mpg’s. Triple digit speeds are definitely possible as you know. Electronic speed limiter is 118mph I believe but I could be off by a few mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad the Subie didn't want to keep up lol. I do the same thing flogging my Mirage. I did it today on a back road driving too my friend's house...2nd gear and a whole lot of pulling...the 3cyl makes a unique sound and l like it. The back road felt like a rally course.

Edit: l skip gears and shift from 1st to 4th to get good fuel economy and slowly reach speed from there.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 10-12-2020 at 01:07 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Too bad the Subie didn't want to keep up lol. I do the same thing flogging my Mirage. I did it today on a back road driving too my friend's house...2nd gear and a whole lot of pulling...the 3cyl makes a unique sound and l like it. The back road felt like a rally course.

Edit: l skip gears and shift from 1st to 4th to get good fuel economy and slowly reach speed from there.
    Not sure that's gonna do much except cause bad lugging.. can't be good for the car. The car is meant to be shifted.. it's a 5 speed manual, not a CVT.. I'm sure others will chime in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Not sure that's gonna do much except cause bad lugging.. can't be good for the car. The car is meant to be shifted.. it's a 5 speed manual, not a CVT.. I'm sure others will chime in.
    I often skip gears depending on conditions. No 'bad lugging' when driven easy - just allow the Mirage to make it's own way without forcing anything.

"Patience, Grasshopper." lolz

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went out to the Tulip Festival in Skagit County over the weekend. Took the opportunity to get some glamour shots of Piddles Hope everyone had a happy Easter!

Name:  IMG_20210403_132606.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20210403_151544_1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20210403_144414_1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20210403_154058.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20210403_165711.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20210403_182703.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  94.7 KB

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-06-2021),inuvik (04-06-2021),vintzend (02-05-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Those wheels look good! Whats the weight difference vs OEM wheel and tire combo? Any rub or drop in mpg?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is that a sunroof I see. Looks nice!
    Aftermarket I assume??!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Those wheels look good! Whats the weight difference vs OEM wheel and tire combo? Any rub or drop in mpg?
    Thanks! I picked the wheels specifically because they mirrored the style of the chrome finish on the front of the car. No need for you to be jealous, though, Dirk - your car's new wheels look fantastic as well (especially with the color combo you got going on)! I would actually love to see some updated glamour shots in your garage!

W.r.t. to the wheel/tire combo, the weight is comparable to stock, and MPG seems largely unaffected. I swapped wheels/tires immediately after buying the car, though, so I don't really have anything to compare it with. No rubs or anything that I have experienced. However, I don't do autocross or anything, so take that with a grain of salt - my daily 2 mile commute doesn't exactly push the suspension system to its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil B View Post
    Is that a sunroof I see. Looks nice!
    Aftermarket I assume??!!!
    Thanks! And yes, it's aftermarket. From what the shop told me, it was one of the last ones available in the United States. Seems aftermarket sunroofs are going the way of the dodo.