Thread: What Head Unit Do You Use?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What Head Unit Do You Use?

I was considering upgrading the head unit in my Mirage as there are kits available which let you have a standard double din slot in your dash.

I was thinking about going balls-to-the-wall with a fancy 10" head unit from Kenwood, but I noticed as I was driving yesterday that the windshield wiper lever is actually really close to where the head unit is (I suppose because the car is narrow). Given that, it seems as though such a large head unit probably wouldn't fit.

I'm curious as to what head units other members here on the forum are using - esp. with regard to fitment. How large is your display? Does it get in the way of any of your levers?

For me, I'm still just sitting here on the base touchscreen unit (no Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay). It actually works really well for what I want it to do, which is why I would only consider upgrading if it was to something really reazy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I have a standard 6.2" Kenwood head unit...
    Name:  ddx396.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  53.4 KB

It fits the dash well, has lots of features, and didn't break the bank. I'm not sure what benefit I would get from a larger display. Do you want to use it for navigation or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both my Mirages have the OEM CarPlay/Android Auto headunits from the 17-20 SE and up trim levels.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have a standard 6.2" Kenwood head unit...

It fits the dash well, has lots of features, and didn't break the bank. I'm not sure what benefit I would get from a larger display. Do you want to use it for navigation or something?
    There would, for certain, be absolutely zero benefit. Maybe /slightly/ better Bluetooth audio quality? But meh, that's a stretch.

Figured it would just be something fun to do and mess with. I actually don't really like using the display for navigation or anything because you end up having to look so far down and away from the road to use it, as opposed to my phone which can be mounted very high on the dash. Android Auto also kind of sucks, tbh. Even on that high end unit I linked, if you look at any videos online, the interface ends up being super laggy. There is the kind of "for jokes" option, making such a cheap car have a huge fancy display like a Tesla or something, but that's "meh" as well.

The biggest thing that could actually usefully come out of swapping for a high end unit is that some of them can actually tap into your OBD port and display a ton of information (like gauges and stuff) in real time and even be used to read and clear engine codes. But then you have to worry about whether or not it will work properly all the time and cross your fingers it doesn't error out at some point and really screw up your ECU.