Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Stalled, Won't Start, Running Rich (Please Help!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Is_Edge View Post
    Dealership says no compression, needs a new engine. Does anyone know if the 2019 engines are interchangeable? Thats the only one I can find around here.
    Did your dealership pull a spark plug or fuel injector and run a borescope camera inside the combustion chamber and see what the problem is? Because I would think carbon deposits would be easier to clean than replacing the whole engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Dealership says no compression, needs a new engine. Does anyone know if the 2019 engines are interchangeable? Thats the only one I can find around here.
    A popular member in here just did this from about April this year. Not Daox, but I can't remember his UN because I'm new here. But he had a 2015 also, and put a 2017 engine in it. Said it was not a problem at all.

But no compression? I think they mean low compression. Is yours a manual? And have you ever over revved it by downshifting it to the wrong gear?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if they checked for carbon, they're not being very informative. That being said, the more I think about it, the more I realize the car has likely been running rich for a while.

The fact someone put a 2017 in a 15 is promising. I'd love to get the 2019 engine, ecu and wiring harness and swap out everything, but I can't drop the money if I'm not sure it'll fit. I wonder if there's a way to cross reference the mounts? The dealership informed me the engine assemblies are different part numbers but I know that could be for a variety of reasons. If anyone has any info on ways I could confirm fitment I'd be super grateful. I'd be getting a steal on the 2019 engine + harness + ECU, but it's only a steal if it all bolts up haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Read the following thread. 2017 engine in a 2015. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...into-2015-car).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why get the ECU?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Read the following thread. 2017 engine in a 2015. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...into-2015-car).
    Thank you!!! That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why get the ECU?
    My thought is that the ECU might have been a reason that the car was running rich, and that it might just be better to use the one that comes with the 2019. Do you think that's excessive? The engine is a 2019 with 9,000 miles on it for $400, and the ECU + wiring harness would be $250. I might be way off here, and I know my car doesn't fall under the "running rich" TSB, I just can't think of another reason the car would run rich without throwing a code if not for the ECU.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    JJ - I didn't catch if you bought your car new, or used. I suppose if it's used, maybe the powertrain warranty didn't carry over.

All I know is that the car that I have purchased but not taken ownership of yet, I'm not doing anything to void the warranty or running over (what is it, 100k) miles for 10 friggin years. At 11 months and 29 days, if it even hiccups, back to the dealer it goes. Ha!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    JJ - I didn't catch if you bought your car new, or used. I suppose if it's used, maybe the powertrain warranty didn't carry over.

All I know is that the car that I have purchased but not taken ownership of yet, I'm not doing anything to void the warranty or running over (what is it, 100k) miles for 10 friggin years. At 11 months and 29 days, if it even hiccups, back to the dealer it goes. Ha!

I bought it used from a dealer, so only got 5 years/60,000. It's at 5 years 85,000 :/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think that's excessive?
    I’m pretty sure the new ECU would need to be programmed to the rest of your Mirage. I’m also wondering if the rich condition was being caused by a leak somewhere like on the intake manifold? Just wondering.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Again, how do you drive? Do you baby the car, or did the previous owner? I'd take it to a trusted independent shop for a second opinion. These engines are pretty reliable, I'd be suprised if yours lost compression at that mileage. Possible, but unlikely.