Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Stalled, Won't Start, Running Rich (Please Help!)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Car Stalled, Won't Start, Running Rich (Please Help!)

Hello! I'll try to be as detailed yet concise as possible. To start off, I did work as a mechanic several years ago before switching careers. I was by no means a master tech, but I have a pretty strong grasp on how cars work and how to repair them. That being said, drive by wire/the amount of electrical components controlling the engines is a bit out of my wheelhouse so please be understanding if I'm not super knowledgeable!

Okay, so I have a 2015 Mirage, about 85k on it. The car is not throwing any codes. Never had an issue, kept up on oil changes, etc. Over the last 6 or so months, the car would idle a bit rough at times, and maybe stall out once or twice. I'd hold the pedal down to trigger clear flood mode and all would be good. Flash forward to two nights ago. I'm driving home from work and every time I get to a stop the car stalls. It wouldn't start unless I initiate clear flood mode. Okay, clearly running rich. No worries, I figure I'll park it and see what happens tomorrow. Well, yesterday the car doesn't start. I google and see we have a TSB on these cars for this reason. I call a dealer and they confirm my car does need an ECU reflash. Wonderful! I get it towed down there. I get a call saying the reflash is done. I ask if it's running and the service writer says no, it needs spark plugs. Okay, makes sense, I guess they could have been so fouled from the rich condition. I thank him, and tell him I'll take care of it. I go to the dealer, throw some plugs in, and... no start. I go in and ask if his tech was absolutely sure it only needed plugs. He explains to me that no, that was just a starting point, but that the plugs were so fouled we had to start there to get it running. I asked him if the reflash would have helped that, and he explains to me that the reflash I got was for the SRS system. When I tried explaining to him that the 2015s have an issue where they run rich, and show him the TSB, he says it doesn't come up for my car, and shows me in the system that it doesn't show up as needing it. He then tells me that my ECU might be fried, it could be more trouble than it's worth, etc.

I left the car and am awaiting a call back, but I'm not super hopeful this dealership knows what's going on. All that being said my questions are:

1.) Are ALL 2015 Mirage's plagued by running rich? Or is their validity that it wouldn't show up if it didn't need it?
    2.) Anything else I should check?

Thanks guys!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Is_Edge View Post
    Are ALL 2015 Mirage's plagued by running rich?
    No. I have a late build 2015 (December 2015) and my car has never had this TSB done.

Check this post: TSB Rich Air Fuel Ratio at Cold Ambient Temperatures

AFFECTED VEHICLES: Certain 2014 - 2015 Mirage vehicles built before February 18, 2015

But it sounds like your car has been stalling at idle throughout the summer. This just didn't start happening when it got colder, right?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-16-2020 at 05:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Anything else I should check?
    What kind of fuel are you using?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    No. I have a late build 2015 (December 2015) and my car has never had this TSB done.

Check this post: TSB Rich Air Fuel Ratio at Cold Ambient Temperatures

AFFECTED VEHICLES: Certain 2014 - 2015 Mirage vehicles built before February 18, 2015

But it sounds like your car has been stalling at idle throughout the summer. This just didn't start happening when it got colder, right?
    Correct, it has happened a few times, but not with any consistency in all temperatures.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What kind of fuel are you using?
    I don't go to any place with consistency, but always a reputable gas station and I do add fuel cleaners once every 1,000 miles or so

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If it still won't fire with new spark plugs, try a quick shot of starting fluid in the throttle body just to see if you can get it to turn over. That might help narrow down whether you have a fuel or ignition problem...and it will only cost you a $1.99 can of starting fluid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I have a 2015 but it got the update before I drove it off the dealer's lot so I'm not sure that there's anything there to help you.

What you are describing isn't a very common problem, at least that I can recall. Flooding usually occurs after running for a short time on a cold start. Your problem isn't happening on a cold-start shutoff, unless I missed that in your description. Maybe you have a fouled injector? Can't tell from here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Did you buy the car new? Did the 2015's come with a 10 year powertrain warranty? If so, tell them it's theirs until they fix it.

However, what it sounds like to me is that something is going wrong that is not affecting a sensor. Here's an example but the example doesn't seem to fit your scenario. I had a Corolla that it's original intake manifold gasket would let air slip by (leak) at low temperatures.

When cranking when it was cold, the engine would rev to near 3,000 rpm. Because the air was getting in after the MAF sensor, everything was fine at the sensor (no codes). The engine was trying to "choke" by overfueling a bit when cold. But mix extra fuel with extra air and you get higher rpm. It was a simple fix, but since there were no codes, it was not a simple diagnosis. Until it happened many times and Toyota made a TSB.

Anyway, I'm guessing something similar is going on with yours. Maybe your engine is getting some air blockage? Probably not the cause, but when is the last time you replaced the engine air filter?

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't go to any place with consistency, but always a reputable gas station and I do add fuel cleaners once every 1,000 miles or so
    How do you drive the car? Easy, frequent, short trips? Long commute? Thinking carbon buildup on valves is another issue that wouldn't throw a code...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealership says no compression, needs a new engine. Does anyone know if the 2019 engines are interchangeable? Thats the only one I can find around here.