Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2021 goals: no more netflix, no more Mirage car payments

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    My mom had a new 2010 Forester no matter how you drove it in the winter 9-11 mpg. Didn't matter type of tires, driving habits, idling. On long highway commutes without wind and sun you'd be lucky to get 13-15 mpgs tops. Our first and last Subaru. Summer 18mpg tops. Was not impressed with the AWD system, and passenger seat was set lower.
    I have a 2011 Forester 2.5X 5-speed manual. I never see mpg that low. I am pretty much get 25+ most of the time, unless I am doing a lot of towing with it.

The older Foresters had a 4 speed automatic transmission. They may not have done as well?

The passenger seat is lower, & that is dumb. I've never been a passenger in mine, however. Not a big deal to me.

There are some things that I really like about my 2011 Forester, but I liked my 1st generation 2000 Honda CRV LX AWD manual better. 1st generation Honda CRV was a bit quirky like a Mirage, but it was my favorite vehicle of all time. I like simple & basic. If a vehicle is not offered with a manual transmission, I lose all interest, too. Thus, not much interests me these days.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Who knows? Maybe they have Canadian Tire in Texas, and not Ohio.

I know they have the very Canadian Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) in various Caribbean countries. So these days borders don't matter as much in some ways. I think some border towns in Alaska and Canada are basically gonna join together as a bubble because of the whole covid situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    ...I'm just confused as to why people buy really big vehicles...herd mentality? Safer in a crash? IDK?
    Personally, I think it is ALL about image. Here where I live that is. Sure, a bigger vehicle has the potential to be safer in a crash. But I would lay money that the soccer moms around here don't care one iota about crash safety it's all about the image. Here it's, "I need a Range Rover to get little Chloe to Lacrosse." It's either a Range Rover or the square Mercedes box SUV thing. The Mercedes box has to be the most worthless thing on the road. Whatever, it's their money. I like nice vehicles, but not for the image.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2020),MirageRally (10-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Personally, I think it is ALL about image. Here where I live that is. Sure, a bigger vehicle has the potential to be safer in a crash. But I would lay money that the soccer moms around here don't care one iota about crash safety it's all about the image. Here it's, "I need a Range Rover to get little Chloe to Lacrosse." It's either a Range Rover or the square Mercedes box SUV thing. The Mercedes box has to be the most worthless thing on the road. Whatever, it's their money. I like nice vehicles, but not for the image.
    Around my neighbourhood, the thing is have is a truck. I find trucks great - if you need them. I think it's needlessly excessive, too-much-car if you use your vehicle for weekly grocery runs. Honestly in my life the truly high class types, usually aren't very materialistic. I think the wisest realize it doesn't matter what brand your t-shirt is. Education and being cultured, whatever that means, can be something. But I don't know the nitty gritty about raising horses in the Hampton's. But there are folks who know how to play piano, have an MD from Harvard.. real polymaths right. They don't care what brand you wear hopefully. Lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, where I live it's SUV central. Being in winter really sucks, especially when...-Dang it Magic Bra AD get out of here!!! I don't use those, I'm a man!!!...Now as I was saying....winter sucks no matter what and I get why some people need SUVs. I would not get a motorcycle to ride in winter same as I wouldn't get a truck just to drive in town and get groceries with.

Edit: maybe I need to turn off ADs or something? Everytime I log on I get that specific AD...why? Lol
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I can get trucks. Think of it. You have a family, but you also will need to haul around something, anything from time to time. And you could only afford 1 decent vehicle. A truck can truly do all. Haul people, haul groceries, haul mulch, tow most anything up to a certain size. A pickup truck is so universal. So, you buy 1 pickup truck and make your wife drive a turd.

If all my vehicles but one had to go away, my old blue truck would remain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This surely doesn't apply to everyone, but some people pull campers, boats, or whatever with their larger vehicles. In those cases, some don't want to own more vehicles than necessary. Thus, they find themselves driving more vehicle than necessary for 80% of what they do.

Since buying my 2017 Mirage, 90% of the my mileage has gone on it. If I had to reduce down to one vehicle, however, the Mirage would go. Mirage is an awesome second vehicle, & that's why an affordable trim level should always be offered.

I really don't care what others drive, & I don't care what they think of what I drive. I'm happy with what I have, & others are entitled to feel the same about what they own/drive.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-25-2020),Fummins (10-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You can get the Corolla wagon with a manual, 3 pedal car, here in Canada. I'm pretty sure all the sedan Corollas are automatics however. Ya I am leery on CVTs myself. Most cars only come in automatic nowadays. Too bad.
    My Scion (Toyota) iQ had a CVT, no issues for 100K+ miles, and I never got the fluid flushed. Granted, the iQ was about the weight of the Mirage and had only about 20 more HP.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    My Scion (Toyota) iQ had a CVT, no issues for 100K+ miles, and I never got the fluid flushed. Granted, the iQ was about the weight of the Mirage and had only about 20 more HP.
    That's interesting for sure. Such a small car. I hardly see an iQ on the road to be honest. I don't think it was a big seller. I don't see many Honda CX-V (?), the subcompact coupe Honda made for a while with the funny door handles. iQ takes small car to another level. I'm 6'2 and all legs so I could not fit well in my friend's Smart car. Like the one time I went for a drive around the block when my friend's parents bought a new Smart car when they first came out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wait, 5 pages. Why no more Netflix ? I must've missed it.

2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)