Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re: Different front seats for the mirage? (Uncomfortable on long trips)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey you're a lefty too! Yay! They say left handed people are very creative.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yep I heard the same too. Creative at finding ways to adapt to a right-handed world. I normally don't even bring it up. I think I'm a capital L Lefty's lefty; always have been. I actually have "o.k" cursive handwriting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-20-2020)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The seats are pretty poor in this car. I would love to see if a set of Outlander Sport seats fit in the Mirage. Hopefully they'd allow you to retain the airbags.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The front seat(s) is my biggest complaint (well really only) with my G4. Such that I've been half heartedly shopping other cars, but I'm having a really hard time justifying buying a new car for seats. I'm over a year and about 32,000 miles in and at this point very motivated to fix the seat situation. I did buy a full seat/back thing that has massage and heat functions, and some cushion. This has really helped, but not fixed the situation. There a place outside of Portland that does car interior stuff. I was thinking about buying a used driver's seat with the height adjustment (which mine doesn't have) and taking it to that interior place. Of course I'd email them first to see what, if anything, could be done while retaining the side SRS functionality. I'll update here as things progress.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the help of the soft suspension, I haven't really had any issues at all w.r.t. back pain or anything like that.

That being said, I do only have about 1500 miles on the thing. Do the seats degrade quickly over time or something in this car? I could see wimpy foam being a culprit, considering the low price tag...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    How are your seats in the mirage? I took an 3hr roadtrip and boy howdy do my hips hurt! I thought about taking out the front seats and putting in something more comfortable. Not sure what...but foam seats don't do well for short roadtrips.
    For a cheap economy car, I don't think the seats are all that bad. I don't mind the ride of a Mirage, & the rear sway bar improved the handling of my Mirage. I do 4-hour trips (one way) to my parents quite often, & I have never found the front seat to be uncomfortable. I don't have the 6-way adjustable front driver's seat that became standard in 2019 either. I also didn't overlook this issue before my purchase. I shared with Richard (manager at time, but owner now) of White Bear that I was a big guy (he's bigger than me by the way), & he told me to sit in both seats (4-way vs 6-way) at my local Mitsubishi dealership. Back in 2017, both ES & SE manual Mirages were available. I highly doubt that I would have used the 6-way seat feature after checking it out. That became a non-issue for me.

My only discomfort is the lack of cruise (2019+ standard now). There are times when I miss not having cruise, but it hasn't been enough where I have done something about it. Buying the SE would have addressed that issue, but cruise can be added. I prefer manual climate controls and steel wheels. Thus, I went with the ES at the time. I have 4 different pairs of 165/65r14 tires mounted on steel rims for my Mirage. In case someone thinks why?

I am using up a pair of factory Dunlop tires & an older pair of Federal SS657 tires this summer. They would not do well on my winter ridge roads, however. I wouldn't get 100 yards past my driveway on some days. In about a month, those two pairs will come off. My Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires will go up front, & I have brand new pair of Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires mounted on a pair of Dirk's old steel rims for the rear. Eventually, the Nexen will become one of summer tire pairs (probably replacing the worn Dunlop tires). I like the flexibility of switching pairs of tires around for my driving conditions. Steel rims with wheel covers simplify it for me. I'm not out to impress anyone with a cheap economy car.

Back on topic here - I am never uncomfortable driving my Mirage. I've done longer trips (10+ hours), too. I have custom neoprene seat covers from Dash Design, but I don't they make a difference in comfort. I have been uncomfortable in more expensive cars with nicer seats. I rode 6 hours with student drivers (three 2-hour lessons back to back) the other day. My butt had enough in the end, and that was with 2015 Chevy Impala.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-19-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I bought expensive foam seat covers that helped a lot but on a roadtrip I'm still aching after about 3 hours of driving. I have to get out and stretch or my sciatica goes nuts.

Are we talking 4-way or 6-way seats?

MirageRally - does your Mirage have the 6-way adjustable driver's seat? (The one with the height/angle adjustment on the bottom (bum) cushion.)

I've driven Mirages with both types of seats and found the 4-way seat on the lower trim car to be much less comfortable -- wrong cushion angle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    4-way...wrong cushion angle for sure...going to look at seat cushions on Amazon.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    4-way...wrong cushion angle for sure...going to look at seat cushions on Amazon.
    6-way adjustable driver's seat became standard equipment on all 2019+ Mirages in the States. If you own a 2020, you should have a 6-way adjustable seat (extra round know on the side).

Hope you find something that helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-22-2020)