Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter keeps running after the engine was start

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Starter keeps running after the engine was start

Hi,
    I have 2017 mirage G4 with keyless system (Start\Stop button).
    Few days ago when I started the engine, I noticed that the starter keeps running after the engine already started.
    When I clicked the start button again, it stop the starter (the engine keeps running correctly).
    I noticed that this is happens only when the engine is cold (if I stop and start the engine after driving a while everything ok)
    Anyone encounter the same issue?
    I suspect in a faulty sensor, but not sure if the keyless system has additional sensor that tells the starter when to stop after the engine was start or it's based on existing one\ ECU (I checked the odb2, no fault codes were found)

Will appreciate your help

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayden For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-23-2020)

I've got nothing. I haven't worked on or even seen a Mirage with push button start/stop in person. But the ones here with regular keys do automatically kill power to the starter once the car is running so there is no way the starter will run on unless the solenoid is sticking. I've seen that a lot in old fords with the fender mounted solenoid, they'd get hot if cranked for too long, then you gotta hit with a hammer and hope it unwelded itself.

Is your battery good? Have you bench tested the starter? Try the simple things first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Hi,
    The battery is brand new, was replaced 3 month ago.
    One more update - when the starter is stuck also pushing the gas a little bit will stop it.
    I don't think it related to the solenoid, because either pushing the stop button or gas will stop it immediately.
    My guess is low RPM on cold start (maybe dirty air filter) or that the starter not connected correctly to the drive plate, which prevent it from disengaging after the engine start running.
    I'll start to investigate the RPM with odb\ cleaning the air filter and then will move to the starter.
    I see that it's not common issue (also in other brands), as I didn't found anything in google (only the old issue in ford cars as you mentioned)
    I'll continue update.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
    Hi,
    One more update - when the starter is stuck also pushing the gas a little bit will stop it.
    I don't think it related to the solenoid, because either pushing the stop button or gas will stop it immediately.
    My first thought is maybe nothing is wrong with your starter at all. Sounds like it's working perfect and as intended. And you aren't doing true Canadian winter cold starts lol . I have had my Mirage over 6.5 years and have started in -20 C many times. Where you are its way warmer all the time. My old girlfriend went to Israel once or twice, and she said you can read the newspaper floating on the top of the dead sea because of the salt. So that would be an experience I want to do, since I like natural wonders so much. She loved economy cars with manuals too. Anyway cheers from Canada

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My first thought is maybe nothing is wrong with your starter at all. Sounds like it's working perfect and as intended.
    Go figure....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hi,
    Sounds like a problem with your Bendix drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Jayden (10-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Go figure....
    Underline this part that was written by Jayden: "because either pushing the stop button or gas will stop it immediately"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Hi,
    My guess is low RPM on cold start (maybe dirty air filter) or that the starter not connected correctly to the drive plate, which prevent it from disengaging after the engine start running.
    I'll start to investigate the RPM with odb\ cleaning the air filter and then will move to the starter.
    I see that it's not common issue (also in other brands), as I didn't found anything in google (only the old issue in ford cars as you mentioned)
    I'll continue update.
    Funny....You posted this 4 days ago.......Get ready for a 20 page thread about giraffes and my inbox to be full of hatemail again.
    I'm with you thinking the rpm is too low on cold start. Hope you figure it out.
    Don't mind the random ramblings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Jayden (10-23-2020)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My first thought is maybe nothing is wrong with your starter at all. Sounds like it's working perfect and as intended. And you aren't doing true Canadian winter cold starts lol . I have had my Mirage over 6.5 years and have started in -20 C many times. Where you are its way warmer all the time. My old girlfriend went to Israel once or twice, and she said you can read the newspaper floating on the top of the dead sea because of the salt. So that would be an experience I want to do, since I like natural wonders so much. She loved economy cars with manuals too. Anyway cheers from Canada
    The issue first appeared a few days ago, till then the starter always disengaged correctly, so it's definitely not a normal behavior
    Now it's summer, so also a cold start is about 30C (86F) LOL
    You are more then welcome to come to Israel, I traveled to Vancouver and the Rookies two years ago, so amazing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayden For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The issue first appeared a few days ago, till then the starter always disengaged correctly, so it's definitely not a normal behavior
    Now it's summer, so also a cold start is about 30C (86F) LOL
    You are more then welcome to come to Israel, I traveled to Vancouver and the Rookies two years ago, so amazing.
    Thanks Jayden, I will visit Israel soon hopefully. I went to the Rocky Mountains for the first time last year myself. May 2019. I am from Ontario, near Detroit basically, so that is like 3,000+ km's from Jasper. I rented a car and left my Mirage at the airport all week. And travel wise with being from southern Ontario, I have been other places closer, like NYC and Florida. Niagara Falls is 1.5 hours away. My cousins in Holland always wanted to see the falls lol.

So anyway it was Alberta 2019, and then 2020 was suppose to be Iceland actually. I dream one day soon.

Great to see the Rocky Mountains for the first time eh? My favourite part of my trip was the hot springs, and then the mountain goats, and the elk.

Best of luck with your car, hopefully it's still under warranty. Sorry I was way off

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Jayden (10-23-2020)