Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube Comment 'Tirade'

Country
    United States
    Thanks

YouTube Comment 'Tirade'

I know the video reviews have been discussed. But here I go....

My go to for tv viewing these days is YouTube, mostly just watching various car reviews. Today it was suggested I watch a comparison of the new Versa S, a Spark hatchback, and a G4. I got ALMOST half way before I stopped and headed to the comments. Was pleased to see 'magnuscat' had already gone through and in a very civilized manner refuted absurd claims of 'Mirage is the worst!' and 'Mirage CVT is crap!' type of comments. Y'all know the comments. Before I knew what happened, I was in a flurry of typing. Not only responding to comments, but backing up magnuscat and other Mirage owners with the hard facts (of reliability, MPG, safety, livability) that have come from over a year and 31,000 miles with my G4. Below was one of my 'cut and paste' responses to the simple 'Mirage is crap' or 'Mirage CVT is crap' type comments with nothing to support that.

"I'd love to hear your experience of owning or a long term test drive of the Mirage as to how you came to that conclusion? I'm just over a year and now 32,000 miles in on my 2018 G4, with zero problems, crazy good MPG-without trying-, all the options/tech I want/need, cheap to maintain, long warranty, spacious inside....I could go on, but again, would love to hear your experience."

The video I commented on I think is like 9 months old, so I don't know that I'll get many, if any, replies. Even though it would be crappy and probably no one would watch, I am thinking I should do a review on my G4-and make a point to address all of these stereotypical, blanket comments about the car. Normally I wouldn't care about people crapping on a car unnecessarily, but if someone is strapped on cash and is looking at a G4 vs a used car, I'd hate for them to have nothing but derogatory reviews on the car to turn to, especially from unbiased people who never actually EXPERIENCE the car long term.

At the end of the day, I smile to myself on the knowledge I have a car that is one of the lowest cost to own/operate and that, to me, is fun to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Clessy (12-01-2020),inuvik (10-19-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm Magnuscat lol. Yeah I've been fighting the propaganda war on youtube for a minute. Let's get more sold so we can get these parts prices down.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (10-21-2020),2of9 (10-21-2020),Dark Magenta (10-20-2020),MacClyver (10-20-2020),MetroMPG (10-21-2020),Subcompact Culture (10-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To the Mirages credit it manages slightly better MPG than the old Metros.

But yesterday I gave a friend who just got his first car a lesson in hypermiling. His 2016-2020 automatic Hyundai Elantra managed 50.1 with my lackluster automatic skills(yes, I pushed down the phantom clutch out of habit before turning it on...). Driven route of about 20 miles was 50/50 freeway/city streets.

Which really makes me think that new MPG ratings are a lie.

Mirage could've done 56, and Metro 55, and yet rated (26,33) the Elantra got within 12% of a Mirage (33,41) which should be 25% better.

I was shocked and impressed. Hopefully he learned something and will be able to attain similar mileage once he practices a bit .

Am I critical of the Mirage, certainly. The steering, laggy gas pedal, rear visibility, the sound the visors make when you flip them up... If I had thoroughly test driven one I probably wouldn't have bought, my preference towards Metros has endured. That said with my parts pile I have amassed if many things go wrong I can replace without costing anything to me, and I am comfortable working on them. Also with how a lot of people in Milwaukee drive it's comforting to drive something that you only have a few hundred invested in vs many thousand.

No hate towards the Mirage though, I'd rather drive it than the aforementioned Elantra.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-21-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    To the Mirages credit it manages slightly better MPG than the old Metros...
    I had several Suzuki Swift in 3cylinder version, and a couple with the 1.6L 16V, more of a motorbike on 4 wheels. Was quite active in the TeamSwift forum up to about 2005.

My 1.0L Mirage / Spacestar uses at least 30% to 40% less fuel than any of the old Swifts (Metro).

The "sticking" steering problems were eliminated, you could search this forum for how it was done.
    Last edited by foama; 10-20-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I just got into an argument with somebody on Youtube.

Him: "You are a moron because for the same money as a Mirage you could get a safer car."

Me: "I didn't buy a Mirage for safety."

Him: "Yeah, but you could have bought a safer car. For the same money."

Me: "I bought the Mirage because it is reliable, inexpensive, and economical."

Him: "Yeah, but it is unsafe. You could have bought a safer car. For the same money."

Me: (...)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I just got into an argument with somebody on Youtube.

Him: "You are a moron because for the same money as a Mirage you could get a safer car."

Me: "I didn't buy a Mirage for safety."

Him: "Yeah, but you could have bought a safer car. For the same money."

Me: "I bought the Mirage because it is reliable, inexpensive, and economical."

Him: "Yeah, but it is unsafe. You could have bought a safer car. For the same money."

Me: (...)
    Motorcycle are unsafe, but people still buy them. If everyone drove a Mirage, it wouldn't be that unsafe on the road!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I have managed to flip a few used car buyers on reddit's "what should I buy?" Thread but it's been a battle with naysayers who are hellbent on saying all Mitsubishis are unreliable. It's exhausting but I do reach a few.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    . "I'd love to hear your experience of owning or a long term test drive of the Mirage as to how you came to that conclusion? I'm just over a year and now 32,000 miles in on my 2018 G4, with zero problems, crazy good MPG-without trying-, all the options/tech I want/need, cheap to maintain, long warranty, spacious inside....I could go on, but again, would love to hear your experience."

At the end of the day, I smile to myself on the knowledge I have a car that is one of the lowest cost to own/operate and that, to me, is fun to drive.
    We live in a country where the Ford F150, Ram (formerly Dodge Ram), & Chevy Silverado are the top selling vehicles year after year. Most people aren't interested in small economy cars, & there's no need to beats one head against a wall to change that.

26,966 Mirages were sold in the States, & that was its best year so far. Ford sells over 900,000 F150/year. Last year was slightly under that, because Ford sold almost 90,000 Rangers.

"Ford sold nearly 900,000 F-150s in the 2019 model year. The 896,526 units was actually slightly down from the 2018 model year by 1.4%. However, the Ranger sold 89,571 units and heavy trucks saw an increase in sales of 36.5%." Jan 6, 2020

We live in a country that doesn't value affordable, reliable, economical small cars. Even a car like the Prius c has now disappeared, & the Honda Fit is soon to follow. Ironically, the Mirage is still standing. I am glad that someone is offering an affordable economy car. Trying to convince someone else they should buy one is another thing.

European reviews of the Mirage, customer reviews on kbb.com, this forum (Fummins' positive fleet experience), & great deals being offered helped me decide to buy a new 2017 Mirage ES manual. It will be 3 years of ownership tomorrow, & I have no regrets.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 3 part mirage review has about 100k views total and I've seen magnuscat cleanin up some riffraff there too lol

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-21-2020),Dirk Diggler (10-20-2020),MetroMPG (10-21-2020),precisionxt (10-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    My 3 part mirage review has about 100k views total and I've seen magnuscat cleanin up some riffraff there too lol
    I would like to edit my previous post. I watch all three of Pryme's clips. Pryme deserves some credit, too. I bought my Mirage 3 years ago today.

A German who was kind enough to redo his Space Star review in English was my favorite. See below -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVi3hYruIqU

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-23-2020),MetroMPG (10-21-2020)