Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another CVT Fluid Change Yarn

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw it on a car I bought. Had a failing transmission. Dealer took it back. They said it needed a new valve body, possibly haha.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138guy View Post
    I believe it gets dark because the CVT fluid in the Mirage gets pretty hot and as such oxidizes at a faster rate than when it's cooler. The fluid in my daughter's 2015 Mirage DE CVT was very dark and murky after ~70K miles. The CVTF deterioration date of ~28000 indicated the fluid temp surpassed 90°C quite a few times.

Compare this to my experience with my 2014 Altima CVT. I changed the CVT fluid in it after 85K miles - its first change since it was new. The fluid was darker than new fluid but was still translucent. The fluid had only been above 90°C for about one hour in seven years. Its CVTF deterioration date was 50.
    I noticed the Mirage cvt fluid always darker than our Nissan. I try to change fluid in the cars every 30,000miles and it's always dark, usually can't see through it. The nissans fluid always looks clearer/cleaner even with first change at 60,000-100,000miles.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just ordered a kit, will post results in the next month or two or 6.
    I never did receive a test sample kit. I guess I'll just do a taste test instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For a low mileage car, should i change the cvt oil at 4 years from date of purchase but only at 14,000 kilometers mileage?

I am not a xheapskate but i do not want to waste a good oil if i can. Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thought I would add my experience in changing. I really wanted to drain the whole thing so i parked it with back end on my driveway hill. Its pretty steep. Anyhow ,I ended up getting 3.25 out....im gonna do it again then call it done. At 60,000,ill take it to a shop for the complete. I should add that i drained it warm.

Just ran it 300 more miles and drained another 3 from it and replaced. Wasnt really that dark...measured more carefully this time around.
    Last edited by lefties; 06-11-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    my 2018 CVT has been working fine. I use it to pull a trailer to pick up & deliver lawn tractors, snow blowers etc. I don't plan changing oil as the CVT is under stressed with our 78HP. I'll let you know how it goes... I may win or I may lose...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    my 2018 CVT has been working fine. I use it to pull a trailer to pick up & deliver lawn tractors, snow blowers etc. I don't plan changing oil as the CVT is under stressed with our 78HP. I'll let you know how it goes... I may win or I may lose...
    Seems legit as per the regular service schedule. Should make it to 160,000 if you don't fall into the severe schedule by doing things like driving in hot or cold weather, short trips, drive in dust etc.... The lowest mileage failure I've seen was just over 100,000km and the dealer claimed Mitsubishi wanted proof of 2 cvt "flushes" before they'd consider replacing it under warranty. Your results may vary.

My current 2014 has 287xxxkms and counting. It surges(hunts for the right ratio) pretty good now and then, only way to stop it is to let off the throttle and let it upshift or floor it. It still moves.

The highest mileage cvt at work is around 400,000kms. It was driven pretty easy for most of it's life and had both filters replaced at least once early on. Now I just change the fluid now and then.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Used CVT fluid looks like engine oil, as if it has products of combustion in it - but of course that’s not possible.

So it makes me wonder what is causing all the discoloration? What contaminants are causing that? The answers would be found in the used oil analysis.
    My guess would be nothing to do with contaminants but instead heat is causing the color changes. The CVT is basically a closed ecosystem so nothing new in terms of chemicals can be added.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thx1138guy View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a flashing selector lever position indicator? Sure hope not as this would put the CVT into limp mode or should do so. I don't know if Nissan has a target temperature that sends its CVTs into limp mode - they don't say but I suppose that temperature is one of the important parameters that would trigger it.
    Yes, the day I was returning a rental Mirage after 3 days of flogging it without mercy. It was a wicked hot summer day, I'd been running freeways with 4 LARGE passengers and their luggage (I know the car was hopelessly loaded far beyond its rating) and the rental agency was right off the freeway exit and it started to flash the prior 500 yards or so of the freeway.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

My car is gonna get put to the test today. The wife is using it while her turd sits in the garage with a shattered sunroof....Hang in there little cvt!!!