Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitars!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Guitars!

Any body else play? I say play lightly as I am terrible. However, I am ecstatic today, because last night I scored my dream guitar on FB Marketplace for Pennies on the Dollar. 2018 Gibson SG Special with both Gibson Hardcase and Gigbag for 5 bills! So freaking stoked. Post up your axes!

Name:  SG.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  SG Headstock.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  SG Case.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  96.2 KB

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-24-2020),inuvik (10-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Who are your guitar heroes?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice SG. Actually had a lefty Epiphone SG, black. Pretty sure yours is a maple body. Have fun! I have thought of getting back into it. I want a Art & Luthrie acoustic, just expensive and I'm not very good, or disciplined lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice guitar! I love the SG; had one once and sold it (like an idiot). Here's my current baby, an EVH Wolfgang Special. Long live the King...

Name:  1024201348~3.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  86.1 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried guitar about 20 years ago. Came to the conclusion that I don't have the dexterity for it.

Then, about 9 years ago, I decided to try ukulele. Figuring that 4 strings might be a little easier to deal with, and a smaller acoustic instrument I can just keep on/near the couch and play a lot more. That's been true, but I will sometimes go months without picking the thing up!

I "play" merely to entertain myself. I know a bunch of chords, and some scales. I can't bounce between playing chords and single notes, nor can I sing while I play. But, I have fun.

I actually own THREE ukes! My original Tenor Uke is a cheapie I bought on Amazon for about $40. It's ugly, I experimented with scalloping the fretboard on it. But, it still plays well.

The second one I bought when I thought I wanted to try playing electric. So, it's a more expensive acoustic/electric Tenor. I couldn't be bothered to plug in, and if I did, I'd be playing through headphones most of the time, anyway. That particular uke, even though is cost around $230, I never really enjoyed playing. It's fine, it just doesn't suit my playing style. So, it's in the closet, and I've promised to give it to my sister the next time I see her.

The third one I bought myself for my birthday in September. It's another $40 uke. The new one is slightly smaller, it's a Concert size. I like the tone of the Tenor, but as I expected, the size of the Concert scale suits my playing quite nicely.

So, yeah. I jam on cheap ukuleles!

Maybe someday I'll feel like I'm good enough to invest in a more expensive instrument. They get crazy expensive. But, I'm not foolish enough to think that *I* would sound any better playing a uke that costs 5-10x as much as what I have.

This is the only video that exists of me playing. It's not even a song, just a chord progression that I came up with. It's on Facebook, who knows if it will actually play here or not.

Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-25-2020),MirageRally (10-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't play... Or sing... But I'll be the the guy in the background cheering ya on. Kind of like how at weddings there are people that dance and sing.... I don't do either of those but I will be drinking punch and eating snacks sitting down in the background haha.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I don't play... Or sing... But I'll be the the guy in the background cheering ya on. Kind of like how at weddings there are people that dance and sing.... I don't do either of those but I will be drinking punch and eating snacks sitting down in the background haha.
    Anyone can dance lol and anyone can play the bongos. Try the bongo drums and playing in a drum circle. Or just keep the beat with other more advanced musicians. That's what I use to do when my friends were good at instruments and doing live music. I have always been reallly into music, but never that good at playing. I know some chords and riffs though and have some projects in mind.

If money was not a factor I would buy a few harmonicas and maybe a keyboard, as well as spinning and scratching DJ equipment, but I would be starting from scratch basically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Who are your guitar heroes?
    David Gilmour
    Muddy Waters
    Mark Knopfler
    Jerry Garcia
    Carlos Santana
    Peter Green
    SRV
    Duane Allman
    Joe Walsh
    Alex Lifeson
    Steve Howe

The list goes on and on.
    Simplify and add lightness.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-25-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    David Gilmour
    Muddy Waters
    Mark Knopfler
    Jerry Garcia
    Carlos Santana
    Peter Green
    SRV
    Duane Allman
    Joe Walsh
    Alex Lifeson
    Steve Howe

The list goes on and on.
    Robbie Robertson
    Ray Davies
    Syd Barrett
    Conor Oberst
    Johnny Marr
    Jeff Tweedy

My list goes on and on, so there I tried to focus on guitarists who one way or another have been interesting to me lately. My record collection is getting pretty huge (and in the process of being digitized, LPs included) not there yet. So I go through cycles. I was really into Radiohead again for a while.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    David Gilmour
    Muddy Waters
    Mark Knopfler
    Jerry Garcia
    Carlos Santana
    Peter Green
    SRV
    Duane Allman
    Joe Walsh
    Alex Lifeson
    Steve Howe

The list goes on and on.
    I like how Dave Gilmour is at the top of that list.