Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I knew it! Interesting study on owners of non-commercial monster trucks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think we are being a bit judgmental here.
    Ha - irony! Good one Mark.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think we are being a bit judgmental here. I don't care what others drive. If that was important to me, I wouldn't be driving my Mirage 90% of the time.

Some may need a large vehicle to pull a camper or boat they own. If that's their only vehicle, it's also going to be used to get groceries & go to work.

My brother drives a full size GMC pick up, but he also owns a good size boat that he uses to fish the waters of Green Bay & Lake Michigan. He also uses a trailer to haul his ATV or UTV to various lakes for ice fishing in the winter. He has no desire to own two vehicles (except his Harley). He kept his last truck for 15 years before replacing it. My brother works hard (long hours). When he replace his 2003 GMC with a 2018, he paid cash. Truthfully, he financed it to get the best deal & paid the entire truck off 3 months later. Having a GMC credit card that he never used save him $3000 on the deal. After all the rebates & everything, his extend cab, short box was well under $30,000.

I realize some people own trucks & SUVs that don't really need them. My parents haven't owned a car for a long time now. They like the getting in & out of a mid-size SUV, improve visibility, & added safety (having AWD in northern Wisconsin can be justified). When my Dad was still working, he drove his pickup truck to work. My parents have had a pickup truck since taking over my grandparent's farm in 1972. My first experience with a manual vehicle was a 1972 Chevy pickup truck. I wish that I had that old red truck!

Currently, my Mirage & Forester serve my needs. Yesterday, I talked to my rural postal carrier briefly. We know each other, & I had her kids in school (class & coached) & btw driving lessons. She loves her Nissan Cube for delivering mail. She sits in the middle of it & delivers mail all day. I think her route is about 105/day, & she been using it for 4 years now. She also loves the visibility of a Cube, which is important for her job. My former mail carrier always drove K cars with bench seats. If I had a job like that, I wouldn't be using one of my manual vehicles. Several rural postal workers in our area have right driver side Jeep Wranglers.

I really don't worry about what others drive, & I surely don't care what people think of what I drive. Unless someone is actually pulling out a tape measure & measuring a person's junk, I wouldn't put much weight into any of this. In the full scheme of life, it's really not that important.
    Good points and full disclosure, the article was complete satire. I have a juvenile sense of humor and the idea of these researchers knocking on some blue collar hillbilly in Alabama and asking to measure his genitalia completely cracks me up lol. Folks that actually use their trucks for work or towing I have nothing but respect for such as yourself, Fummins etc. It's an important tool in your lives no doubt. It's the wannabe office job types here in the city that only haul groceries in their raised up F250s whilst driving like the trucker from the film "Duel" that get on my nerves.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Also the Nissan Cube used the JATCO CVT7 as well and I can't find a lot of griping about premature failures on the net vs say an Altima or Versa. I wonder what the Cube has or does?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I hope that you really don’t believe that.

Did you read the full disclaimer found at the bottom of the page?

CIPPTV About/Disclaimer
    C'mon brother. : ) Your telling me you didn't at least get a chuckle from the article?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    C'mon brother. : ) Your telling me you didn't at least get a chuckle from the article?
    Nope. Nothing new there.

I like this satire site better:

The Daily Bonnet

Even funnier if you know anything about Amish culture.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Good points and full disclosure, the article was complete satire. I have a juvenile sense of humor and the idea of these researchers knocking on some blue collar hillbilly in Alabama and asking to measure his genitalia completely cracks me up lol. Folks that actually use their trucks for work or towing I have nothing but respect for such as yourself, Fummins etc. It's an important tool in your lives no doubt. It's the wannabe office job types here in the city that only haul groceries in their raised up F250s whilst driving like the trucker from the film "Duel" that get on my nerves.
    I knew the article was a joke. If a truck is never used as a truck should be, I get that feeling, too.

Today's trucks are very nice, but they come with a price tag.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    it is nerve-wracking to be tailed by a truck 3 times the size of the Mirage. I wish I could just have fun driving my car without feeling like I need to defend myself against someone with a superiority complex.
    I'm sorry to bring up relatively old dirt, but I think this being a small-car Forum, the problem of big trucks acting like jerks is actually worth its own thread. That's how this conversation really started in the first place. Half the truck drivers I know are the best drivers ever.

It's the other half of idiots that give them truck drivers a bad name. I actually live where there are more tractors than cars on the road, and it must bug the real farmers when all the suburbanites are making it hard to "slow down for farm vehicles," when the every other vehicle looks like a farm vehicle because it's the chic thing these days.

I love trucks as much as anyone else. I just find that sometimes when you carry a big stick, it makes it easier to press the drop bombs button from a comfortable distance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nope. Nothing new there.

I like this satire site better:

The Daily Bonnet

Even funnier if you know anything about Amish culture.
    I saw that movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford about the Amish. Pretty cool they can build a barn in a day.

Link here. Fascinating science behind this study worth a glance.

https://cipptvportagelaprairie.com/2...ess-desirable/
    Can confirm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Duel 1971 movie. Drive the Peterbilt no one would mess around.

Early on one of the Mirages had a nail went to get a patch 3 male employees commented on my purple (wine red) chick car. Stated I should be embarrased to own the car and even made a few indirect sexual jokes about the car.

Year later drove my pickup...needed a tire on a rim. One of the same guys took care of me and fawned over my truck treated me like a man's - man. Waited until I paid and secured the tire... Then reminded him I owned the purple girlie Mirage. Big fail.

2020 can't judge a person by the vehicle they drive. As for ahole drivers they come in all different vehicle sizes my advice purchase front and rear cameras our vehicles have them maybe the best 50 bucks you can spend.