Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ETACS/ECU issue - SOLVED! Bad back-up lamp fuse

The more I read the op's posts the more questions I have. How did you get the code without using a scan tool? How was wiring checked? More importantly WHO checked the wiring? The dealer, independent shop, you?
    Pin out each connector? Were they checking throttle wiring or transmission?

Why are you constantly giving short answers when someone asks you something? Give little info get little help....I'm not patient enough to sit through a 30 page thread of questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The service manual is the same information. I'm going to call Mitsubishi today and see if they can help me. Sadly, there isn't a dealership within about 100 miles, but the roadside assistance covers the tow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmcki View Post
    The service manual is the same information. I'm going to call Mitsubishi today and see if they can help me. Sadly, there isn't a dealership within about 100 miles, but the roadside assistance covers the tow.
    Please let us know how this goes for you - too many times we never hear a resolution that can help someone else down the road.

I hope your dealership takes care of you.

And I suspect your Service Manual must have been pretty expensive to purchase from Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Bmcki (10-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

And I suspect your Service Manual must have been pretty expensive to purchase from Mitsubishi.
    I couldn't find a service manual anywhere. I could buy a toque though. I can buy a service manual from the Kawasaki website easy enough.
    I hope to learn all these magic secrets one day. Until then I will talk about the weather. It snowed and it's cold here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update!!
    Started retracing my steps on tracking the problem down. Checked all fuses in the engine compartment, nothing found. Started checking fuses in the passenger compartment fuse box and found that the back up light fuse(#21, bottom right corner-7.5 A) was blown. Replaced the fuse and sure enough, fixed the issue. Ran another diagnostic with the scan tool, no codes found and the CEL cleared. Runs and drives normally now. Hopefully this info helps someone and saves them from making a costly mistake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bmcki For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-27-2020),Fummins (10-27-2020),inuvik (10-27-2020),Loren (10-27-2020),Top_Fuel (10-27-2020)

Have you done anything to the reverse lights prior to this?
    I've seen different problems by having burnt brake lights or using led bulb but not this.

Thanks for sharing your expensive fix!
    I wonder how much it would have cost if it had been at the dealer! I had one with a weird problem the dealer couldn't figure out, first said it was the brake switch, then gave up and said it needed an etacs module. I gave them a used one from the same year exact same optioned car, dealer claimed you can't use used modules in Mitsubishi's and wanted over $1000 to order a new one. I drove the car back and found the dealer relocated a connector. I looked closer and the connector itself had a tiny trace of corrosion. I cut the connector out and soldered the wires together problem solved. These cars are retardedly finiky when it comes to wiring.
    Burnt out brake light bulbs can throw abs codes and cause random dead throttle pedal. Not sure it's the greatest design in the world.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-27-2020 at 01:44 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bmcki (10-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmcki View Post
    Started checking fuses in the passenger compartment fuse box and found that the back up light fuse(#21, bottom right corner-7.5 A) was blown.
    FFS, does every single electrical circuit in these cars run through the damned taillights??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a thing. When I first bought the car, I tried the LED bulbs, which tripped the CEL and caused a similar issue. I imagine that I would have been giving the dealer a kidney and have been given the run around. I agree that the design of the electrical system in these cars is poor at best.

So tip of the day...Don't make a noob mistake like I did. Check ALL of the fuses(engine compartment and passenger boxes) first before even entertaining the thought of throwing parts at it. Test, test, test!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmcki For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I just updated my "look at this stuff this first" Mirage troubleshooting checklist based on this thread...

1) Remove any device connected to the OBDII port...especially if it is a Bluetooth device
    2) If you have changed any lightbulbs to LED or whatever, put the stock bulbs back in
    3) Verify that all brake lights and reverse lights are working
    4) Verify that no fuses are blown (check engine compartment and interior fuse panels)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bmcki (10-27-2020),Loren (10-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Can we still work on making this a 30-page thread?

In the meantime I’ll update the thread title with the fix.

Oh and how much are you going to ask for your ECU?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Bmcki (10-27-2020)