Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ETACS/ECU issue - SOLVED! Bad back-up lamp fuse

Country
    United States
    Thanks

ETACS/ECU issue - SOLVED! Bad back-up lamp fuse

Hi all,

Have a 2018 Mirage G4. Started having a CEL with a P1509 code. Checked the wiring, with no problems found. Ordered a new ECU, which was programmed to the VIN of the car. Installed the new ECU last night only to have the dash display show ETACS above the odometer reading and the car doesn't start(or even try to). No starter engagement, nothing. I'm assuming that the ETACS needs to be programmed to the new ECU, but not sure where to go from here. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmcki View Post
    Update!!
    Started retracing my steps on tracking the problem down. Checked all fuses in the engine compartment, nothing found. Started checking fuses in the passenger compartment fuse box and found that the back up light fuse(#21, bottom right corner-7.5 A) was blown. Replaced the fuse and sure enough, fixed the issue. Ran another diagnostic with the scan tool, no codes found and the CEL cleared. Runs and drives normally now. Hopefully this info helps someone and saves them from making a costly mistake.

Last edited by Eggman; 10-27-2020 at 05:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hi all,

Have a 2018 Mirage G4. Started having a CEL with a P1509 code. Checked the wiring, with no problems found. Ordered a new ECU, which was programmed to the VIN of the car. Installed the new ECU last night only to have the dash display show ETACS above the odometer reading and the car doesn't start(or even try to). No starter engagement, nothing. I'm assuming that the ETACS needs to be programmed to the new ECU, but not sure where to go from here. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    I know it’s too late for you but others here have shared that new ECUs need to be programmed with the rest of the various controllers in the Mirage. Pretty sure this require a MUT-III.

Is P1509 the Idle Air Control Valve High Idle RPM? Why replace the ECU for that error code?

Can you put your old ECU back in?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I scanned the code, it was for a CAN error. The car runs rough and the transmission will not shift out of park. I'm going to put the old one back in and start checking fuses and diodes, hoping that I can fix this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Hi all,

If you have a 2018 why isn't this a warranty issue?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should be, but Mitsubishi is refusing to deal with it and the place where I bought the car(Carmax) is saying that the warranty is up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should be, but Mitsubishi is refusing to deal with it and the place where I bought the car(Carmax) is saying that the warranty is up.
    Do you have a Service Manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I downloaded it. I'm going to replace the ECU and then run the codes again start checking fuses.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I downloaded it. I'm going to replace the ECU and then run the codes again start checking fuses.
    Check the Service Manual for a troubleshooting procedure for this code - it should save you time and frustration chasing fuses. If you find it’s above your skills or abilities, you may have to hand it off to a competent shop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Everybody goes for the ECU first. Easy to replace, I guess... but, expensive, and you have to get it reprogrammed (correctly) and all that. I don't recall anyone ever saying that replacing their ECU fixed anything.

Here's the thing: Modern electronics are pretty robust. Especially an ECU. It's designed to last at least 10 years, and be acceptant of a lot of conditions outside of what most of us normally see. Designed to be fault-tolerant, etc. Unless your ECU is physically damaged, or got WET, whatever your problem is on a car that's less than 12-15 years old probably isn't the ECU. That goes for any modern car. (though, there are some cars... I've heard of some Ford-based Jags that do this... where the design of the car leads to water leaking onto the ECU... all bets are off when that happens!)

The Mirage, however, has a VERY weak electrical system. I think it's plenty well-designed, as is the rest of the car. But, they used the finest (lightest) gauge of wire possible wherever they could, AND they used minimal wire loom and tape to protect it. There's exposed wiring all over this car!

So, if you have a used Mirage that's giving electrical problems, that's what I'd be looking for. Wiring that's been damaged due to a crash or simply from vibration and rubbing. Wiring that's been chewed through by animals. Wiring that's been WET (that connector by the driver's footwell is famous for that). Any added electrical equipment, including innocuous things like devices that plug into the OBD port, or aftermarket LED tail light bulbs. Any wiring that's been repaired, and perhaps repaired poorly.

Sucks that you got into an out-of-warranty Mirage with electrical issues. Hope you get them sorted!

Oh, just in case the seller is giving you wrong info: The Mirage factory 5/60 warranty is transferrable. If you've got less than 60k miles, Mitsubishi should take care of this for you. The 10/100 powertrain warranty is only for the original owner.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Yeah I bought both my used Mirages from actually Mitsubishi dealerships and they refused to do any work at all.