Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback Engine swap

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have been doing some research and I think a 4b12 out of a 09 galant I believe would do the job just fine and would not be as time consuming. Seems it has good power output as well.. Opinions on this??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At a glance, seems like a potentially good choice. If what I'm seeing is accurate, the 4B11 doesn't use a balance shaft and the 4B12 does. For the modest difference in power, I'd think about the slightly simpler no-balance-shaft configuration. But, maybe do some digging and see if either of those variants has an edge for reliability (or availability). Balance shaft will make the engine run smoother, which you need on a "big bore" 2.4 liter 4-cylinder. But, the 2.0 doesn't need it. The 2.0 is also "square" in its bore/stroke dimensions, which means it will be happier to rev to higher rpms. The 2.4 has a longer stroke on the same bore... will have more low-end, but won't be as eager to rev. So, that's a consideration as to the "character" of the engine you want to use. Both have their merits.

Wiki says that all members of that 4B1 family use the same block, so rough dimensions should be the same. Need to find one and take some measurements (unless you can find that data online). How wide is this sucker?

96mm bore pitch means it's got to be at least 4x that long. That's 384mm or about 15.1"

Compare to the 83mm pitch of the Mirage... x3. That's 249mm or 9.8".

That's a good guide as to how much longer the engine block should be. About 5.3" longer. And if you look under the hood of the Mirage... there's not an extra 5" between the engine and the fender well. Surgery will be required.

You'll also need to know how big the transmission that goes with that engine will be.

Being a 4-cylinder with no turbo and turbo plumbing to worry about, it should have enough clearance to fit in the engine bay on the front and back sides. It's the width that will be a headache.

You'll want to be sure that the engine has the exhaust manifold on the back side of the engine as mounted in the car. That's a pretty common layout these days because it's more efficient. Less pipe required, and more direct exhaust routing. But, some older cars had it the other way around with the exhaust pipe routed UNDER the engine from the front. That would present another clearance problem and headache that you don't want. So, be sure your donor engine has the exhaust at the rear, just like the Mirage engine.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey Cam any updates?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing yet been super busy between work and trying to get my lq4 rebuilt and ready for turbo.. still be thinking about it however.. thinking maybe an engine out of a newer eclipse possibly close to a 2014 so the wiring may be close to the same. Also does bcm have to be connect to ecm for ac and radio to work?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    4G15T on the colt ralliart is the best option i think since colt and mirage are cousins.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will look into that.. thank you for the suggestion. Do you think wiring will be similar to get speedo and rpm gauge to possibly work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I think I will leave all old electronics in place as in ecu and try and get a stand-alone harness for whatever donor car i get.. I found a good deal on a 2010 eclipse in my area so may pull the trigger on the deal.. if I can hid all old electronics in dash could maybe then wire up rpm gauge to ignition and also does anyone know anything about a vss sensor converter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    May not be the easiest route to go however I’ve decided to start looking for a 2008 lancer with a 4b11.. exhaust is on the same side as the 3a92 is so that eliminates one issue and for the computer I think I will be looking into a mega squirt system as should be able to control 4b11 and transmission and I’ve also read that the newer versions of MS can control A/C and Tach so hopefully another problem eliminated..