Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback Engine swap

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess dspace is right....You could start your own racing team and buy a non street legal race car for a **** ton of money.

The only swaps I've seen were done overseas, they post a few pics then never come back. There are a few pics floating around here. On the one swap, it looked like they took the inner structure from the lancer and welded it to the firewall of the Mirage. Then welded, glued and screwed parts of the Mirage rad support and fender mounts onto the lancer parts.
    For wiring and gauges I assume it'd be easier to take the wiring harness and cluster along with everything needed to run the engine from the lancer and install it in the Mirage. I doubt you'd be able to just drop in a 4cylinder engine and plug in the speed sensor. It may be easier to just run a stand alone ecu. Other that have done swaps could help more than I.
    Would there be any issues as far as when I go a new tag or something and the miles do match on the odometer?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Yes very exciting to think about.. I am not too sure however I did run across a forum that said to cut out the back floor out of the mirage and then weld in the evos floor pan.. not really sure how it would work unless I could see the evo rear end.
    Have you seen the two cars side by side? The Mirage is both shorter and narrower - there's just less space for all the stuff.

Do you weld? Who's welding skills would you trust if you try to race something like this at a track? That is assuming you want to race this - just figuring that's why you want to do it in the first place. Or is it just to appease your curiosity?

Would there be any issues as far as when I go a new tag or something and the miles do match on the odometer?
    That would be a question for the Oklahoma Department of Motor Vehicles or your State Patrol. Each state has different laws and Fummins is in Canada.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-26-2020 at 08:47 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Cam any updates?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Good luck with this. I hope you succeed, but this isn't gonna be like swapping a B16 into a Civic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Each state has different laws and Fummins is in Canada.
    Well at least I think he’s in Canada, or Pyongyang or some such. I shoulda checked first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well at least I think he’s in Canada, or Pyongyang or some such. I shoulda checked first.
    Attachment 19559
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe most states have an option to claim "odometer is invalid"... such as when your odometer is broken, or you replaced the dash cluster. That is the absolute LEAST of your worries with a project like this.

Step 1: Learn to weld.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I believe most states have an option to claim "odometer is invalid"... such as when your odometer is broken, or you replaced the dash cluster. That is the absolute LEAST of your worries with a project like this.

Step 1: Learn to weld.
    Sorry I have been checking back to see if yall replied however I didnt realized there was a second page.. Yes I do know how to weld, I actually worked on the pipeline until it tanked and I fab stuff up with my grandpa all the time( he is the one who taught me to weld) any who I know that it is shorter and narrower however in one of those videos that someone had posted about the rallipart 5 it seems like they have used the stock mirage frame and just welded in a roll cage to act as some reinforcement. even if not someone in this world has done it before and if one monkey can do it two monkeys can do it.

P.s. I am doing this swap no matter what I now have my mind set on it and I am not one to give up very easy. also very cool that it would be the one of the only ones in the U.S. if not the only one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I found a 2015 Mitsubishi Evo Gsr that has been hit in the back close to my area.. I am going to keep trying to find any info that I can about the swap may just end up buying that evo comparing the two at my shop. Other than that I hit this guy up that is from the Philippines I believe shows he made a post is September but no answer yet

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you're on the right track, then.

Have a Mirage. Have the complete donor car. Sit and compare them and make a plan.

Best bet is to try to use as much of the subframe structure from the donor car as possible. Then you just modify the Mirage as-required so that you can bolt the front and rear sub-frames from the donor onto it. I expect there will be a LOT of cut & paste involved. The 3-cylinder engine bay will be really narrow for a big 4-cylinder, and clearance for turbo/intercooler/exhaust could be an issue, as well. In the rear, you'll be wanting to put a driveshaft and diff right where the fuel tank is. So, you'll have to fit a fuel cell... somewhere.

Same with wiring, try to use as much as possible from the donor car. Complete wiring harness, ECU, etc.

Mitsubishi likely uses the same CAN bus system for all of their cars of similar vintage, so you "might" be able to get the Mirage gauge cluster to work with the EVO ECU. But, there are going to be a lot of bells and whistles (boost gauge, etc, etc, etc) that won't be present on the Mirage. If all you want is speedo and tach... you might be able to get that to work. Better bet would be to find a way to fit the EVO cluster into the Mirage dash.

The more critical parts you use from the donor, the easier it will be.

One of the critical decisions you'll have to make early on is whether to narrow the drivetrain to fit the Mirage (sleeper), or flare the fenders of the Mirage to fit the drivetrain. I'd recommend making the Mirage wider because it's top-heavy and that would help the stability.

I'd suggest doing something similarly stupid (I mean that in the most reverant way, I love stupid projects!), but simpler, just to get your feet wet. This is a BIG project. Maybe get a Mirage and just do a simple FWD engine/trans swap from another Mitsu car? Much simpler (still difficult), but probably achievable in a shorter period of time, and doing it would teach you things that would make the Monster Project easier and better.

Sort of like if you had no experience with construction, and wanted to build a big 2-story home. I might suggest building a shed or garage first. Something that will require a lot of the same skills... but, a bit less daunting.

Simplify and add lightness.