Thread: Just wondering? (CVT behaves different when freezing)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Just wondering? (CVT behaves different when freezing)

Hello, everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue: I have noticed, now that the cooler weather has arrived, that my CVT in my 2019 Mirage seems to rev higher and be somewhat sluggish in "shifting" when starting out from a cold start. After driving for about 1Km, it starts to respond normally. The temperature overnight has been around 0 and minus two degrees Celsius. I guess what I am trying to say, is that the CVT seems to hold back for the first few blocks. I have checked the fluid level when the car is hot, and it registers full on the dipstick. The colour is a light yellow. When the car is warm, it works just as normal. Any feedback would be appreciated. The car only has 9000Km on it, so I am not expecting issues yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Completely normal with basically any kind of transmission. The fluid is thicker when it is colder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, this is normal.

The engine revving higher (and, perhaps unknown to you, eating more fuel) when cold is the ECU attempting to heat up the engine as quickly as possible. There are many reasons it does this, but suffice it to say that the engine is designed to run most efficiently within a specific temperature band, and the ECU will try to keep it there to the best of its ability.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Yeah, this is normal.

The engine revving higher (and, perhaps unknown to you, eating more fuel) when cold is the ECU attempting to heat up the engine as quickly as possible. There are many reasons it does this, but suffice it to say that the engine is designed to run most efficiently within a specific temperature band, and the ECU will try to keep it there to the best of its ability.
    Thanks for the info. I have confirmed this is correct. This afternoon, when I left work and the temperature outside was more balmy(11 degrees Celsius) the transmission was back to normal shifting when cold. I don't push the car when it is cold, just let it warm up gently.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spiritorb For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Yeah, this is normal.

This. It is also done for emissions reasons. The engine runs 'dirtiest' when it is cold and warming up, so the faster the engine can be warmed up the better. Many conventional automatic transmissions will not shift into overdrive until the engine/trans reaches a certain temperature.

The additional RPMs help that happen faster.