Thread: Mirage Sedan... to be released this year?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Mirage Sedan... to be released this year?

The motoring media here in Asia are all abuzz about a possible sedan version of the Mirage. It'll supposedly come out by June or July and be introduced at the 2013 New York Auto Show:

http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...s-a-sedan.html
    http://www.cbt.com.my/2012/11/19/mit...-introduction/

Southeast Asians are very fond of little sedans. It should be as cheap and practical as the hatchback version; it may even return better highway fuel economy due to aerodynamics.

I'm a hatchback guy myself, but I'm looking forward to this one. If it comes out similarly priced to the hatchback, it'll be a huge hit here especially with the fleet and taxi operators.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-30-2013)

Nice find!

After much one and off speculation, Mitsubishi Motors have finally confirmed that a sedan derivative model of its Mirage B-hatchback will join Mitsubishi's line of eco-cars in Thailand.
    The Mirage sedan will go enter production sometime between June or July 2013 in Thailand. This revealed by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation's president Osamu Masuko
    I'm sure you've seen the Theophilus Chin rendering already:

Source: http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=4342

It's worth reading his opinion on the car - not a big fan of the design. (I think I know where he would vote in our poll about the Mirage's styling.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Come to think of it, he does have a point about those wheel caps; they're one of the worst I've seen on any car. I don't think he realizes that the "keyholes" are push buttons though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes there was mention in an Oz article on the Mirage about there being a sedan version and also mention of a turbo charged engine at some time. It will be interesting to know what the Cd ratings for the sedan come out to be as a lot of sedans get better Cd then there hatch back versions.

I was thinking the same thing, Jamie.

Theophilus' rendering has rounded bumper covers (at the corners). The Mitsu version will probably have quite squared off corners, like the hatchback. (But if you read the comments on Theophilus' site, you'll see he basically grafted the real back end of an existing car onto the Mirage to make that pic... and new cars are just starting to come with sharp rear corners for better aero.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The rear end of that sedan pic looks just like the Mitsu lancer they sell here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I gotta say that rendering is a lot better looking than I thought it would be. Usually it seems like vehicles designed as hatches look pretty ugly as sedans.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Mitsu has announced they're unveiling a "concept global sedan" this month. Looks like the Mirage sedan to me:

Mirage sedan -- "Concept G4" -- to be unveiled this month in Thailand