Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone try a K&N drop in air filter yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have put a K&N filter on every new car I've had since the late 80's. I've always experienced better throttle response, and a touch more power. Yes it surely depends on the application, and no I wouldn't expect to see much from the Mirage, but I would still buy one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CFM - what it means

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Amen brother... so many people have wasted so many dollars on K&N filters. They are good for race cars... pretty much it.

Thanks Basic.

BTW - this is really just trying to be a PSA (public service announcement) for all intents & purposes:

I did the calc's and you can see them if you follow the link below.

I calc'ed at 7000RPM because that will be the highest flow (and IIRC that's the redline, or darn near it).

• In theory (if the volumetric efficiency is taken to be 100% (which it ain't) the CFM @ 7000RPM = 124cfm

• In 'real world' or taking VE to be 90% (which is still optimistic) the CFM @ 7000RPM = 111cfm

So - if you are buying an air filter that will flow at a rate in excess of 125cfm, you are essentially buying more than is necessary (it's likely they all flow higher than that, btw). This is where K&N 'gets' you - they say "ours has a higher CFM." OK, maybe it does, but if the car cannot achieve that higher CFM than it's pointless; a 'potential' CFM that is literally *impossible* for the car to achieve due to the physics of natural aspiration is of no value. That's the key point that's always left out: the potential CFM the filter is capable of versus what the cars maximum CFM is.

I hope this makes sense to you all; I am just trying to be educational and helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Minihaha; 06-10-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: more info
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (12-28-2020),Basic (06-10-2014)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    On a ralliart magna, it was dyno proven that a brand new clean paper panel filter flowed better than the K&N panel filter.
    Not sure how they go on the mirage, as I run either stock airbox or the Speedlab intake.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Alright, I'm quite sure I found a compatible K&N filter for us North Americans. Googling the OEM # of 1500A617, a couple sites give dimensions of 255mm x 122 x 37. I did a search on the K&N site and found that there is a filter# 33-2094 which is 254mm x 122 x 29. So, its a bit shallower, but that works for us.

K&N 33-2094
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (08-28-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE! K&N now has an official part number for our cars: http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/...hi_mirage.aspx

Part number is 33-3016. Currently not in stock as of 10/9/14.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-10-2014),ed100 (10-09-2014),m4v3r1ck (10-13-2014),MetroMPG (10-09-2014),R01k (10-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the good news

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

So - if you are buying an air filter that will flow at a rate in excess of 125cfm, you are essentially buying more than is necessary (it's likely they all flow higher than that, btw). This is where K&N 'gets' you - they say "ours has a higher CFM." OK, maybe it does, but if the car cannot achieve that higher CFM than it's pointless; a 'potential' CFM that is literally *impossible* for the car to achieve due to the physics of natural aspiration is of no value.
    There's more benefit to a K&N than higher flow rate that we won't actually achieve. They're reusable, so I'm only paying $49 for a single air filter for the life of the car, saving money in the long run. With less restriction comes faster throttle response from the pressure differential leveling out faster. Those two reasons are enough for me to install one, even if it doesn't actually increase horsepower and torque.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for finding that Cani Lupine. I've added that number to Engine Parts Index.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Good news indeed, will save some money to get the strut brace first then air filter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I work on motorcycles.
    I've put my finger into many (hundreds) of Harley throttle bores, and found significant grit / crud.
    I've seen the results of running K&N's in that application. I don't care to find out if the results would be the same in an automotive application, particularly in MY automotive application...

In my case, picking up a couple HP at W.O.T. just doesn't matter.
    As far as performance goes.. At moderate RPM, relatively low M.A.P. (cruising), I would expect any improvement in efficiency to be minimal.
    I don't believe the engineers would leave the low hanging fruit on the tree, as having sufficient filtering capacity for the application is first day stuff...Especially when wrestling with critical EPA numbers.