Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And another one (bites the dust)...2015 cvt 260,000km

And another one (bites the dust)...2015 cvt 260,000km

I already posted about this one in another thread.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:46 AM. Reason: ,,

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-16-2020),MetroMPG (12-22-2020),Top_Fuel (12-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think that if Mitsubishi put a Steel chain it would make the transmission more durable instead of a steel belt?

What are the most common failure points you see on these cars? Cvt bearing? Etc.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hm, seems they're starting to drop.

Note to self: be sure to grab a replacement trans from the junkyard while they are still cheap, plentiful, and low mileage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Do you think that if Mitsubishi put a Steel chain it would make the transmission more durable instead of a steel belt?
    You might want to watch those videos about how the CVT works, and particularly have a look at the belt itself.

In short, the belt works by "pushing" rather than pulling the driven pulley. You can't do that with a chain. Also, a chain implies gears. How are you going to get that CVT effect using gears and a chain? If it can be done, it would be a completely different design, not just a matter of changing from a belt to a chain. (you're thinking timing gear... in that case, the gear ratios are fixed... belt, chain, direct gear drive, any of those will work)

The CVT belt doesn't appear to be a common failure on the mirage. They tend to fail due to excess torque, which the Mirage doesn't have.

All the CVT failures I've seen here have been due to lack of maintenance (gotta change the fluid), failure of the input shaft bearing, or just plain abuse.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    You might want to watch those videos about how the CVT works, and particularly have a look at the belt itself.

In short, the belt works by "pushing" rather than pulling the driven pulley. You can't do that with a chain. Also, a chain implies gears. How are you going to get that CVT effect using gears and a chain? If it can be done, it would be a completely different design, not just a matter of changing from a belt to a chain. (you're thinking timing gear... in that case, the gear ratios are fixed... belt, chain, direct gear drive, any of those will work)

The CVT belt doesn't appear to be a common failure on the mirage. They tend to fail due to excess torque, which the Mirage doesn't have.

All the CVT failures I've seen here have been due to lack of maintenance (gotta change the fluid), failure of the input shaft bearing, or just plain abuse.
    https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...ebPageID=20182

If i'm not mistaken, Subaru uses a chain in their CVTs (Called Lineartronic).

"After years of research and development, Subaru engineers were able to introduce a production-car first: a CVT longitudinally paired with AWD that uses a chain instead of the more commonly used belt. Thanks to this unique design, the Lineartronic CVT uses smaller pulleys, making it lighter and more efficient overall. This design also boasts a more natural feel as compared to other CVTs, allowing drivers to experience instant response that is also smoother and quieter."

Of course, Subaru fails to mention that Jatco uses an auxiliary gearbox in many of their CVTs now (like in the Mirage) to do the same thing: make the pullies smaller and more efficient, and more 'normal' feeling shifting, with the added benefit of larger effective gear ratios than without one.

That being said, like you mentioned the steel belt on the Jatco CVTs don't seem to be the point of failure at least with the Mirage.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 12-17-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I don't know if that Subaru design is something new, but they have had their fair share of CVT problems. I know someone with a CVT Outback that likes to randomly decide it's not going to move when you pull out into traffic and step on the gas.

Subaru had to announce warranty extensions for several 2010-2018 CVT-equipped Subarus from 5 years/60,000 miles to 10 years/100,000 miles. So at least they are (sort of) owning it.

Anyway...just do a web search for Subaru CVT lawsuit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This sucks. I'm done shilling for the CVT Mirage online. This car is supposed to meet financially vulnerable owners needs of being reliable and economical. Reliable means 200k miles before CVT failure IMO and it seems most of the cars simply won't do that. Really sleazy sales strategy from Mitsubishi. From now on, I can only argue in good faith that the manual Mirage is worth a sh$t. I believe the vast majority of Mirage owners can't afford to replace a $6k cvt @ 120k miles. Fummins, I'm willing to guess there aren't that many mechs in NA that know more about the Mirage than you do and I appreciate your data, it just hurts to read. I'm convinced I made a bad decision buying 2 Mirages for my family because I need these cars to hit 200k miles and it's looking more and more like the majority of them do not. Sorry for the negative rant brother.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Over 10% cvt failure rate in Fummins fleet, and this is with professional servicing and expertise. What % does Joe Schmo have hitting 200k miles? Not great I bet. We got one unicorn 400k mile Mirage and I'm guessing a bunch of others failing just outside of warranty.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If these cars can last 150,000miles of abuse from half a dozen random **** tards then they should last the average Joe a bit longer in theory.
    I hear ya and thanks for saying that. I just feel bad for the new members on here, many excited for what they think is a long lasting simple CVT when it's more likely the Mirage lasts a touch longer than a Versa, especially when you have to really push the Mirage here, to survive on 70mph freeways. Can't be good for longterm reliabilty. Why, why, why didn't I ignore my wife and got a manual version instead! Lol. I should probably rephrase my recommendations online for the cvt Mirage to "If you can afford to trade in a car after 100k miles and don't mind a small resale value then check out the Mirage if the price is right and you need a cheap used option you only plan on driving 3 or 4 years. If your thinking the Mirage will go on and on for 200+ miles like a Yaris, and you need transportation for long distance commuting or gig work, stay away!" Lol to hell with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Over 10% cvt failure rate in Fummins fleet, and this is with professional servicing and expertise. What % does Joe Schmo have hitting 200k miles?
    90% maybe?? Possibly better with regular service and care.

If you are experiencing no problems with yours, why get worried about others problems?

Seems you are taking care of your own fleet the best you can. It’ll be cool to see how long you’ll make yours last. And the next owner can be assured you did your best with professional service. Not many Mirages get such good treatment.

You’re a great example of how to take care of these little cars. Don’t sweat it and instead laugh all the way to your bank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2020)