Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try a K&N drop in air filter yet?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't bother with the K&N. By the time you buy the cleaning kit, the oil, the mess, the labor etc to maintain this thing, when you do an oil analysis & find silicate (sand ) in your oil, you may wish you had kept the OEM filter in it... Just get the OEM filter... (or the WIX you have )... It"s a better filter than the K&N... ( I'll wait for the argument to start from this reply.. ) Price the filters from Rock Auto.. the WA10125 is $18.62 CDN dollars ( It'll be cheaper for you in the states) & they have better options...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    (I'm bumping this thread up a few years)

My local O'Reilly's auto parts place carries (not in stock, but can get in 1-2 days) two exact fit engine air filters for the 2015 Mirage DE:

-- WIX WA10125, for $26.99; and

Rock Auto sells the same WIX filter for $13.90, but you pay something for shipping. I try to order a bunch of stuff at the same time to save on shipping costs some.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+conditioning

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Rock Auto sells the same WIX filter for $13.90, but you pay something for shipping. I try to order a bunch of stuff at the same time to save on shipping costs some.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+conditioning
    Exactly, you probably need a cabin filter, wiper blades, etc to combine the shipping, Make it your go to place if you need enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. I have noticed they do NOT ship USPS any more. I was going to order a trailer hitch for a bike rack, but the UPS shipping to Canada is almost as much as the hitch itself.. I'll have to check the prices of other stuff as now they seem to use a more expensive carrier, they may not be my go to for parts... Too bad

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    (I'm bumping this thread up a few years)

My local O'Reilly's auto parts place carries (not in stock, but can get in 1-2 days) two exact fit engine air filters for the 2015 Mirage DE:

-- WIX WA10125, for $26.99;
    If you have an Advance Auto Parts store in your area, they sell what looks like a decent air filter for $7.99. Their cabin filter is somewhat expensive, however.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c2...-related/14979

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Exactly, you probably need a cabin filter, wiper blades, etc to combine the shipping, Make it your go to place if you need enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. I have noticed they do NOT ship USPS any more. I was going to order a trailer hitch for a bike rack, but the UPS shipping to Canada is almost as much as the hitch itself.. I'll have to check the prices of other stuff as now they seem to use a more expensive carrier, they may not be my go to for parts... Too bad
    High shipping charges can surely kill a good deal! That is a bummer!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you have an Advance Auto Parts store in your area, they sell what looks like a decent air filter for $7.99. Their cabin filter is somewhat expensive, however.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c2...-related/14979
    It's a pretty long drive to an Advance Auto Parts for me. Locally, I've got O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa. Autozone's website won't let one sort search results by price, which is a big pain in the butt when it is something they have dozens of options for like wipers.

I was just referred to Rock Auto, in another discussion thread, relating to their prices for the cabin air filter. With the shipping, the WIX isn't a lot cheaper than at O'Reilly's, but they have some very cheap off-brand filters that look tempting. It's not like a cheapo cabin filter will affect how the engine runs, so why not. Rock Auto seems to mostly carry hard-core parts, but for the filter category (air, cabin, oil), ARE worth remembering.

But what about Rock Auto's cheaper-than-WIX engine air filters???? Some of them look just like the WIX. Anybody trying them? (Sorry if I'm taking the thread temporarily away from the K&Ns, but part of the reason people might decide not to use them could be price competition.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a pretty long drive to an Advance Auto Parts for me. Locally, I've got O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa. Autozone's website won't let one sort search results by price, which is a big pain in the butt when it is something they have dozens of options for like wipers.

I was just referred to Rock Auto, in another discussion thread, relating to their prices for the cabin air filter. With the shipping, the WIX isn't a lot cheaper than at O'Reilly's, but they have some very cheap off-brand filters that look tempting. It's not like a cheapo cabin filter will affect how the engine runs, so why not. Rock Auto seems to mostly carry hard-core parts, but for the filter category (air, cabin, oil), ARE worth remembering.

But what about Rock Auto's cheaper-than-WIX engine air filters???? Some of them look just like the WIX. Anybody trying them? (Sorry if I'm taking the thread temporarily away from the K&Ns, but part of the reason people might decide not to use them could be price competition.)
    When I ordered filters from RockAuto.com, I went with the Wix engine air filter (presently $13.90) & the Premium Guard cabin air fliter (presently $5.33). I ordered the same two brands of filters for my Subaru Forester at the same time. If you combine your order with other stuff, it's a saving even with some shipping costs. I don't care to skimp on engine filters, but I could care less about the quality of the cabin filter. I installed the Premium Guard cabin filter this week. It's nothing special, but it should do the job. Changing a cheap cabin filter more frequently is probably better than leaving an expensive one in to long.

I still think the Advance Auto Parts may be a good bargain ($7.99 for their CarQuest premium engine air filter). It looks like the Wix filter, but pics can be deceiving. If your order is over $25, shipping is free. Plus, I am being offered a 20% discount on line. I can't vouch for their quality, but it could be a good deal.

I personally went with RockAuto.com a couple months ago, because it offered the best deal when combining engine & cabin filters being purchased at the same time. The cabin filter on the Mirage is quite small, & paying big bucks for one doesn't appeal to me. Thus, I went for quality engine filter and cheap cabin filter when purchasing replacements.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi, reading on engine air filters, I found one listed for Mitubishi Mirage 2014-2020, but the description is probably old since it only goes up to 2017. Also, Amazon says it does not fit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KIN3U1O..._t1_B073Q7S7K3 Can anyone confirm if it is supported with a 2019 Mirage? It's a dollar less so I don't see what's wrong with it.

Amazon blows goats when it comes to interchange. Go to the mfg site, anywhere but amazon.

edit, I thought you were looking at k and n.
    2014 to 2019 interchange. I assume 2020 will be the same as well.

Keep in mind though most cheapo air filters are cheap for a reason. They typically have half the material therefore needing replacement twice as often. But they still do the job.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-05-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Amazon blows goats when it comes to interchange. Go to the mfg site, anywhere but amazon.

edit, I thought you were looking at k and n.
    2014 to 2019 interchange. I assume 2020 will be the same as well.

Keep in mind though most cheapo air filters are cheap for a reason. They typically have half the material therefore needing replacement twice as often. But they still do the job.
    Thanks for the advice!