Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 67740
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice platform.

SUM!

(Sport Utility Mirage)

===

Mirage #2 came with a hitch - "Hidden Hitch". At some point this year or next, I'll be removing it to use on Mirage #3, so I'll have a better sense of what's involved... but the impression I had after looking at it in the fall was the bumper cover was an issue.
    Do you have a 3rd Mirage already or did you find another one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bling bling!

Name:  IMG_20210202_144943.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  90.4 KB

Went to visit a wrecked 2014 ES kiwi green Mirage at the Chicago North Ave. LKQ. Was hoping the mirrors and spoiler would be good but they were all damaged as well as the steering wheel from someone mangalized it getting the air bag off. Sucks... The leather was in perfect shape. I grabbed a few bits off of it for my fleet of Mirages... The vents you can see here, a nice door weatherstripping since the one on this car was damaged, and a few other little bits for the other blue Mirage. Sad... The kiwi car most likely had 58,000 miles on it. I wish I could have gotten to it before LKQ did.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Basket at work.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  87.0 KB

What better thing to do in a horrible snow storm and awful weather? Well, go get parts from a wrecked 2017 G4 SE! Got the front heated seats, the gloss black window switch trim from the front doors, the Android Auto/Apple Carplay complete setup for retrofitting another car, the cool 15" alloy wheels, and some other odds and ends. Need to go back for the drivetrain when the guy pulls it out, the steering wheel, and probably some other random bits but I hurt my back laying on the floor of the car pulling the GPS antenna and stuff out of it so I've been out of commission for a few days. That was last Saturday and the car is still sitting here full of stuff hahaha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Lots of mirages.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  88.7 KB

Forgot to post this... this was on my birthday (Jan 31) and we had another stupid snow storm... the Mirages and Outlander weren't too thrilled about being covered in garbage snow.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-18-2021),MetroMPG (02-18-2021)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Name:  Basket at work.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  87.0 KB

What better thing to do in a horrible snow storm and awful weather? Well, go get parts from a wrecked 2017 G4 SE! Got the front heated seats, the gloss black window switch trim from the front doors, the Android Auto/Apple Carplay complete setup for retrofitting another car, the cool 15" alloy wheels, and some other odds and ends. Need to go back for the drivetrain when the guy pulls it out, the steering wheel, and probably some other random bits but I hurt my back laying on the floor of the car pulling the GPS antenna and stuff out of it so I've been out of commission for a few days. That was last Saturday and the car is still sitting here full of stuff hahaha.
    Where did you get this bike rack?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The cargo basket? Harbor Freight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

supesusuta (03-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm jealous of your fancy trim parts!

I will find some near me one day...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  New door handle and window trim.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  95.9 KB
    Name:  New door handle and window trim 2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  91.2 KB

A little work today. The gloss black window switch trim for the front doors and the chrome door handles off of that wrecked G4 SE that I pulled a while ago. The gloss black panels are kind of scratched up... I'll have to see what helps to buff that out some. I was going to put the chrome handles on the back doors but... I mean... what's the point since there's no rear seats hahaha. I'll probably do it anyway just to do it.

Also, I installed the SE gauge cluster to check the mileage. I thought it was 88K but it was 83K so that has to sit and wait for my nice black Mirage to get to 83K and then I'll swap it in. I want to try to keep the mileages exact so I didn't want to roll this car back. On a positive side, the 17 fancy gauge cluster works perfectly even in the base DE.

One more side note, the window switches are DIFFERENT from a 14-15 to a 17+ for the driver door. The connectors won't fit. The passenger door switches are 100% the same though.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-04-2021),PityOnU (05-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    A little work today. The gloss black window switch trim for the front doors and the chrome door handles off of that wrecked G4 SE that I pulled a while ago. The gloss black panels are kind of scratched up... I'll have to see what helps to buff that out some. I was going to put the chrome handles on the back doors but... I mean... what's the point since there's no rear seats hahaha. I'll probably do it anyway just to do it.
    I recently got the fancy steering wheel from a junkyard somewhere and they had scratched the glossy part to **** while they were taking it out. Really ticked me off.

However, I was able to use this headlight restore kit from Mothers to polish the plastic back to an "almost new" state. I can recommend it if you are as fussy as me. Works great and comes with everything you need!

Ofc, it's just glossy plastic so you can basically guarantee you're going to accidentally scratch it up again, especially as an armrest. Why Mitsu decided to use soft, glossy black plastic as their fancy trim, I will never know...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm, okay. I have to do the headlights on my truck soon so I'll save some for the black plastic. I don't expect perfect, but it's pretty bad. But then again, I got the parts for dirt cheap so... ehh...