Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 67758
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wonder if that’s what happened to Steve’s manual transmission that wouldn’t shift...
    I would venture a guess that yes this is what probably happened to his car. He didn't beat his clutch but the springs are in some really low quality stamped steel stuff holding them in. I could imagine even 300,000 miles of 3 cylinder vibration and fatigue would cause this to happen.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cleaned up the flywheel. Good enough for this project anyway.

Name:  Clean flywheel.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  87.3 KB

I used some oven cleaner and steel wool to clean the stuff off of it as recommending by some random old car website. I figure if it's good enough for some old british roadster it'll be good enough for this 74 HP speed machine. Then a whole can of nasty brake cleaner to get all the stuff off and finally a quick wipe with the paper towel to seal the deal for now. Great success!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-28-2020),Top_Fuel (10-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    What happened to the bumper? It's there in one photo and not in the next. Personally I would order a stereo unit, rather than pull anything from your 2018 Outlander Sport.
    The bumper is in the cargo area. Previous owner ripped it off so it could be loaded onto the trailer when he moved it into the storage unit I guess? It's junk though, it's got broken spots and cracks. I'll be ordering a new one eventually.

As for the stereo, I already replaced the one in my Outlander Sport to the nice one with the Sirius XM and Apple Carplay/Android Auto so the "base" touch screen radio is sitting in a cabinet in my garage with a bunch of other radios waiting for homes. So rather use it than let it sit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The bumper is in the cargo area. Previous owner ripped it off so it could be loaded onto the trailer when he moved it into the storage unit I guess? It's junk though, it's got broken spots and cracks. I'll be ordering a new one eventually.

As for the stereo, I already replaced the one in my Outlander Sport to the nice one with the Sirius XM and Apple Carplay/Android Auto so the "base" touch screen radio is sitting in a cabinet in my garage with a bunch of other radios waiting for homes. So rather use it than let it sit.
    Right on, that's a solid plan. I'm enjoying your photos of the Mirage's parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Well, that's why the A/C is dead. The accident damage from hitting animals bent the lower radiator support back some and it cut the line. Sadly, this isn't the cheap line you can actually get online... it's the expensive one you have to get from Mitsubishi. Gotta keep an eye out for a used one in good shape.
    Would it be possible to reinforce the front bumper to keep the radiator support from being pushed back so easily?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I considered reinforcing the rad supports but it's good to have a fuse. Best way to prevent it from bending it to not run into ****. There isn't much behind the bumper, just the rebar that runs side to side in the middle.
    If I strengthened the rad support, or ran a bar from the rebar to the rad support, or rad support up to the frame rails, then the next time a car hits a parking curb it'd probably bend the frame rail where the crumple zone is and maybe blow an airbag if hitting something hard enough at speed. I think I just talked myself into doing this lol
    Drivers would probably be more careful after a few get an airbag to the face and legs!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, it bends so easily. I got it bent mostly back using the claw end of a hammer to hook it and just pulling in it by hand. I'll have to use the come along and a heavy anchor to get it all the way back to normal but it's so damn flimsy there it's funny.

One idea that might work if you're worried about bending it may be to either not install all the clips that hold the bumper cover to the rad support and replace the 2 bolts on the outer corners with a clip or plastic screw that would shear off easily. Maybe just a thin ziptie? I'd say most of the bent rad supports I see are caused by hitting something with the front edge of the bumper. I don't know how the rest happen. I've seen rad supports bent up and back, with the bumper bolts being shave down so a socket doesn't fit anymore. I sometimes see huge scrape marks down the k-frame that looks like they went rock crawling yet no marks on the oil pans. The one subframe that was horse shoed into the floor was still my favorite lol Never did find out wtf that guy did, he stuck to his I don't know what happened, just heard a bang.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, fortunately I'm not too dumb so I don't think I'll hit things with it unless it's an accident. I'm not worried about it, personally. Just need to bend it back to shape and get that a/c hose I need because a/c is a life or death situation for me hahaha. I'll also be wrapping said hose that gets replaced with the plastic protector stuff to make sure this doesn't happen again in case i do smash into a possum.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Clutch arrived early! Got the trans clean in the bell housing and put the new throw out bearing on. That's all for today haha. Nothing too fancy.

Name:  IMG_20201028_184919.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  95.3 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-29-2020)