Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 67739
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, so I wanted to be productive today. Replaced the axle seals on the transmission (and bought a new seal puller to make it easier to get the old ones out!) and the "Toyota" seals fit perfectly. We'll see how they perform once it's all back together.

Name:  New clutch installed.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  96.1 KB

New clutch installed onto the flywheel. The stupid plastic thing wasn't doing the greatest job of keeping everything 100% straight so I got to adjust that but got it centered. Then the hard part...

Name:  Trans in.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  101.2 KB

Even though it's not super heavy, that is a ***** to install on your own especially when you're crippled garbage like me. I used my trans jack to raise it up as close as I could but then I had to stand on an old battery to get a bit of height, kind of lay on the front of the car, and hike up the transmission while turning it so it would line up. Took half an hour of swearing and anger but I got it to slide in. What a pain in the ass. Put most of the bell housing bolts and the trans mount stuff back on it so it'll hold itself up okay and called it a night. I'm gunna be feeling it tomorrow most likely. If not, I'll continue all the extra stuff and maybe it'll be drivable again.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-30-2020),inuvik (10-30-2020),Loren (10-30-2020),MetroMPG (10-30-2020),Top_Fuel (10-30-2020)

Could you share the part number for the seals you used? Were the right and left seals the same?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Nice work! I've only ever re & re'd one transmission on a front-wheel drive car (Chevy Metro) in my life, but I clearly recall generating a fair amount of colourful language getting things to line up just so for the input shaft & clutch hub to slide together.

Hopefully you're not too sore tomorrow!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good news, it's all back together and runs and drives! Bad news, the 2nd gear synchro is shot something awful. You have to trucker float either way basically if you want 2nd and the trans will only let you put it in 1st at a dead stop. I'm tempted to try something goofy like running synchromax or regular cheap 5w30 to see if it makes it passable for now but otherwise I guess I'll be replacing the trans like originally planned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Good news, it's all back together and runs and drives! Bad news, the 2nd gear synchro is shot something awful. You have to trucker float either way basically if you want 2nd and the trans will only let you put it in 1st at a dead stop. I'm tempted to try something goofy like running synchromax or regular cheap 5w30 to see if it makes it passable for now but otherwise I guess I'll be replacing the trans like originally planned.
    Those are the symptoms Steve had when he shelved his Mirage. We are all curious to know what happened inside the transmission.

Did the input shaft seem tight to you?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Sounds like the gearbox was murdered as opposed to being otherwise defective.

But in my frequent perusal of Mirages for sale within a 500 km radius of where I live, I've seen at least half a dozen ads that stated the manual transmission was either broken or had been replaced. That's more mentions than defective CVT's.

Not scientific, but there you go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, in this car's case I'm 99% sure the gearbox was pulverized. I bought it being told the gearbox was stuck (which was the clutch issue) so I'm guessing when it was starting to go bad it got beaten even worse and wiped it out.

Input shaft on the transmission seemed fine. I shook the hell out of it to make sure it wasn't loose and it seemed okay. Turned smoothly.

I'm surprised so many of the manual transmissions fail... it's an Aisin trans which usually means good.

Anyway, got one ordered. 9000 mile transmission from a wrecked car lol. I'll pick it up Monday afternoon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here's a video of it being annoying. Enjoy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Here's a video of it being annoying. Enjoy!
    No second for you @ 22 seconds - haha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I'm sure you've tried double-clutching when it won't give you second? Still no dice?