Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 68327
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Finally, ordered a new headlight for the car so that'll be here soon so then I can replace that since the tab is broken off that holds it to the fender.
    Didn't MetroMPG glue one of his back together? I'll have to look for that one...

Hopefully my slow progress on this poor car isn't too annoying haha.
    It's gonna turn out great. Project cars are never done anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Didn't MetroMPG glue one of his back together? I'll have to look for that one...
    Found it:

Overkill headlight housing repair

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the previous owner hated this car and treated it like a cheap mud Jeep. What a good way to waste $13,000 or whatever they spent for the car (used, it had 16,000 miles) just to destroy it.

Fortunately, it's not cigarette nastyness... I can't stand that smell. I actually got a really nice PT Cruiser from someone I know for next to nothing but I couldn't get that nasty ash tray smell out even after scrubbing every surface with degreaser, leaving the ozone machine in there for a week, and shampooing everything. Dammit I hate cigs! So that got a few minor things fixed on it and I sold it to the local Toyota dealer to get it gone.

As for the headlight, the plastic tab thing is literally gone so I can't glue it back together unfortunately. Otherwise I would have totally repaired it to save money on the project.

And there better be an end to this project soon... I want to actually use the car instead of work on it hahaha.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

I probably would have attempted to fabricate a tab! You have another good one for reference?

That's OK. You must value your time more than I do!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To get rid of smells, after a good cleaning, douse everything with unscented FeBreeze. That stuff is amazing! Might not work for deeply embedded mold in a carpet or seat foam. But, for stuff on the surface, like smoke... it's great!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I probably would have attempted to fabricate a tab! You have another good one for reference?
    I mean, I do have three other Mirages here. The unfortunate part is the thing that broke is a load bearing part that not only holds the headlight steady it also holds the fender in the right spot AND holds the clip that the bumper attaches to. While I can appreciate some rigging of stuff, this was a spot that I felt was important to be correct so things line up properly.

And yeah, the Febreeze works but the unfortunate thing is when you have mad cig embedded into the foam of the seats or the insulation in the carpeting it's only a temporary fix.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got lucky today! A yard not far from my house had a rear ended 17 G4. They pulled the drivetrain out but instead of butchering the a/c lines they actually unbolted them so the damaged line I needed was sitting under the hood waiting for me. Best of all, only $20. Way better than the $200 from the stupid dealer.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-10-2020),Loren (11-10-2020),MetroMPG (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, super productive today. Picked up the replacement trans and shifter cables this morning. Then tonight we pulled out the old transmission, replaced the shift cables, replaced the ac line, replaced the bumper retainer clips, installed the new driver side headlight, bent the driver fender back to the correct shape, installed the new transmission, and finally replaced the front pads and rotors. Whew! Have to get fluid for the trans tomorrow and then can finally test it, install the fender liners, and then get the bumper cover when it's ready and the car will be ready to work.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2020),inuvik (11-13-2020),Loren (11-13-2020),MetroMPG (11-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got lucky today! A yard not far from my house had a rear ended 17 G4. They pulled the drivetrain out but instead of butchering the a/c lines they actually unbolted them so the damaged line I needed was sitting under the hood waiting for me. Best of all, only $20. Way better than the $200 from the stupid dealer.
    This is what I miss about my busted-ass old Subaru. Could go to pretty much any junker near me and find a ton of parts for it for super cheap, with any trim level you could think of. Seems these Mirage's are pretty few and far between, unfortunately. Bit more of a hassle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good news! The car drives great now! Just need to do the rear brakes, alignment, and install the bumper cover when it arrives and it's ready to work!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-14-2020),MetroMPG (11-17-2020),MirageRally (11-14-2020),mitsumi (11-14-2020)