Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 67734
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20210108_223341.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  83.7 KB

Hitch installation complete. These suck so much to install alone... Good Lord. At least it is done and ready for cargo basket usage for increased grunge hauling. That way nasty leaky transmission can be outside the car instead of making a mess inside! Hopefully starting on the platform part soon.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-09-2021)

Did you have to take the bumper cover off to install it? Looking at the one that came on my car, it's not clear how it was put on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Okay, it's first yard day was successful! I got the missing plastic piece that goes under the bumper and radiator area so now that's on (I assume for fuel economy?) ...
    I wonder what the point of this part is as well? I took mine off about a year ago when I started trying to get the heater core unplugged and have not gotten around to putting it back on. It is nice having easier access to the oil filter for oil changes and the radiator for drain and fill. My driving is almost all short trip/lower speed so I imagine aerodynamics is less significant than mass for this kind of duty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Did you have to take the bumper cover off to install it? Looking at the one that came on my car, it's not clear how it was put on.
    No. There's a hole you have to drill out a bit bigger so step bit was put to work doing that. I'm pretty sure the installation instructions are online somewhere I think. It's a Curt hitch.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    No. There's a hole you have to drill out a bit bigger so step bit was put to work doing that. I'm pretty sure the installation instructions are online somewhere I think. It's a Curt hitch.
    Someone else (can't remember who) said they were able to install theirs without drilling but it was a little more difficult.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've heard that, I think it involved removing the rear bumper assembly. No thanks on that haha. The step bit made drilling the hole bigger take just a few seconds. Then I shot some spray paint on it to keep it from rusting there.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I installed mine (a curt as well) without drilling or removing the bumper. There is a large hole in the left frame rail in the same location as the right side. It's hidden by the 2 pipes that go to the fuel tank. I removed the 1 10mm head bolt that holds the pipes & was able to move the pipes enough to get the fishwire & plate & bolt thru for the left rear most hole. It's a little fussy, but I didn't want to drill...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha, I saw that and thought about it but decided against trying my luck dealing with the fuel filler neck just in case that bolt snapped off or if it didn't work for some reason. The car is not in great shape so I'm not worried about enlarging an existing hole on the thing especially since that's what the instructions say to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20210112_133954.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  98.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20210112_134008.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  94.4 KB

This came out great! Got some auto/marine grade carpeting from Menards, some half inch plywood, and made it happen. Put a 2x3 on each end to keep stuff from scooting too far forward or back. Hinged it under the carpeting so it can flip open to access the spare tire well and a little additional storage under there. Also drilled holes to mount it securely where the seat brackets bolted to the sides of the car. I'm more than pleased with how well this worked out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-13-2021)

Nice platform.

SUM!

(Sport Utility Mirage)

===

Mirage #2 came with a hitch - "Hidden Hitch". At some point this year or next, I'll be removing it to use on Mirage #3, so I'll have a better sense of what's involved... but the impression I had after looking at it in the fall was the bumper cover was an issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)