Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 68371
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could you share the part number for the seals you used? Were the right and left seals the same?
    Totally missed this. On the manual trans the seals are different each side. I have another thread somewhere on here with the SKF part numbers and I think the National part numbers too. I'll have to look and find it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l-transmission

Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 10-31-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Double clutching will work for 1st gear. 2nd is basically bang and go only at this point. I think the synchro is completely and totally destroyed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, in anticipation for being able to pick up a good 9000 mile transmission tomorrow my daughter and I did some work on this nasty car. Starting with the grungy pictures...

Name:  Dirty spare area.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  Dirty dash.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  Dirty front pass.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  Dirty rear floor.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  97.0 KB

So I went and got this extra strength degreaser cleaning spray and a bunch of paper towels. Under the spare tire was so so nasty... it was like a bunch of chocolate bars and soda pop met each other and melted. That took most of the time to clean up! My kid was on vacuum duty and she got a lot of this trash out. The rear seats came out and got put outside. Won't do them any harm out there for how grungy they are haha. So here's the end results after two and a half hours of cleaning...

Name:  Clean and gutted back.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  90.4 KB
    Name:  Cleanish driver side.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  85.8 KB
    Name:  Cleanish front pass.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  88.3 KB

So the carpets and headliner need to be shampooed, the front seats need to go away because I hate DE seats (and the driver seat is damaged), and then after all the mechanical stuff and the main body damage is fixed (I need a front bumper cover) I can finally start moving on to the fun part... making it into a micro cargo van!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  9000 mile trans destroyed by yard.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  96.1 KB

9000 mile transmission ruined by the idiots at the junkyard who removed it. They have a 46,000 mile transmission as well that they're going to remove and deliver here tomorrow afternoon... so... yeah. Dammit. Still $300 but free delivery so hopefully they don't break that one as well. Boss man was really mad so hopefully the next one they don't wreck. It's sad, too. 9000 mile axles, engine mounts, shifter cables, clutch cable... all just chopped through.

Holy cow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Do you think the internals are usable?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe. I didn't take it though since it was broken.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hate filth. It pisses me off. There's no reason to treat a car like this whatsoever. I mean, I'm going to use it as a work van to haul engines and transmissions... greasy nasty grimy parts... and I'd be willing to bet money even doing that the car will never be this dirty ever again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Transmission delivery was delayed. Says tomorrow morning now. Here's hoping...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can you take a guess if the junkyard followed through? I bet you already know the answer.