Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

Beat up and sad. The tail gate and rear bumper got damaged from the car getting pushed out of a mud hole by an ATV... Front end is all beat up from various animals jumping in front of it.

My plan is to replace the front seats with the nicer seats from an ES or 17+ redesign since I can't stand the crap DE base seats. Rear seats will be removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts... that'll come after I get everything else fixed.

•  

The stock CD player will be removed and the stock headunit from my Outlander Sport (same as a 18+ ES touch screen) will be going into the car. This will give it bluetooth and doesn't cost me anything but the brackets I have to order to hold it into the dash.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Will be rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 74 / Views: 3324
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I am looking into buying a Plymouth Valiant once I can shop for used cars again. There is a Valiant convertible for sale a few hours away. 60s era. And all-original.
    I owned a 1969 Plymouth Valiant bought off a little old lady who needed help with small jobs. It had a slant six. Ran great until it rained and the distributor got wet. Good old Chrysler... What finally did it in was underbody rust. The front suspension used torsion bars for springs which were tied to the frame (well, subframe) at a crossmember. The crossmember rusted enough to the point where the torsion bar let loose and dropped that corner on the rubber bump stop. Nowadays that would be desirable... No one would repair it. So if you do find one, inspect that crossmember very closely.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Still, I feel that some classic cars are going under the radar right now, and now is a good time to buy a collector car.
    I agree. Seems the market for classic cars is getting smaller and smaller. Fewer drivers are interested in an old car. Considering the old-timers who treasured and preserved these cars are aging out their classics will hit the market but not as many want them. Be patient and a good bargain should come your way.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-21-2020 at 12:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Well done would take me 3x as long. Should rebuild cars for people and charge for it. You'd make serious $$$
    Pretty sure that's exactly what Dodge Aries K does - he salvages and flips Chryslers. He's shared some of his work in other posts - it's pretty cool what he's found:

1991 Dodge Shadow 5 speed convertible for sale

Wanted: A cheap stick shift Mirage (or maybe an automatic)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Haha no not a car dealer. Just get bored fast with things. Plus, usually I buy broken down stuff, fix it and drive it for a while, then sell it and make a few bucks.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-21-2020 at 11:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I owned a 1969 Plymouth Valiant bought off a little old lady who needed help with small jobs. It had a slant six. Ran great until it rained and the distributor got wet. Good old Chrysler... What finally did it in was underbody rust. The front suspension used torsion bars for springs which were tied to the frame (well, subframe) at a crossmember. The crossmember rusted enough to the point where the torsion bar let loose and dropped that corner on the rubber bump stop. Nowadays that would be desirable... No one would repair it. So if you do find one, inspect that crossmember very closely.

I agree. Seems the market for classic cars is getting smaller and smaller. Fewer drivers are interested in an old car. Considering the old-timers who treasured and preserved these cars are aging out their classics will hit the market but not as many want them. Be patient and a good bargain should come your way.
    That's cool Eggman. Thanks for the tips and rust is a huge concern with these cars. The Valiant I saw at the Ford dealer the other day looked good underneath, I did get under the car. Then the Ford people parked my Mirage next to the Valiant when they were done with the servicing lol. Really good sales ploy to sell the Valiant.

I have a better idea now of the torsion bar suspension you're talking about. Used car market generally is one you need to tread carefully in. Classic used car market adds another degree of caution.

The 1963 Valiant my Dad owned in the 1980s was one of those great finds. Had almost no km's on the odometer. The Valiant still had that new car smell. My Dad knows way more about cars and motorcycles, he got the Valiant similar story as you, doing work for some older folks.

What a car that was. Black 2 door hardtop, with hot red and white vinyl interior. The car made a real impression on me. And apparently this was a Canadian-only spec'ed Valiant. All the workings is the same, still had the slant 6 engine. We were members of the Slant 6 Club of America because we still have the sticker on a filing cabinet in the basement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.8 mpg (US) ... 17.8 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What's the first thing you are going to haul with it?
    That's a good question. I'm not really sure haha. Now that all the unfun stuff is finished I need to measure and decide what to do to the inside of the car to make sure it can carry grungy stuff without damaging the car body and the inside.

As for the Valiant, that goes before the time of the stuff I mess with. They look neat but I don't know anything about them. My earliest car is a 1981 Plymouth Reliant K wagon which you can see sitting in the garage next to the Mirage. Never was into the pre-K car stuff.

Name:  Air dams back on.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  84.8 KB

Got these back on today. Had to buy new bolts and nuts since most of them broke off.

Name:  Finally done hurray.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  91.0 KB

And... there we go. It's finally done! Hurray! I backed it out of the garage and parked it with the other Mirages for now until I get the materials to do the stuff for the inside and take the car for an alignment.
    -Karl B. 2015 DE 5 speed x 2 and 2015 ES CVT. Plenty of other cars as well.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (Yesterday),inuvik (11-22-2020),MetroMPG (Today)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ordered some not necessary but nice things for the car today. The brackets for the Outlander Sport's oem radio so that it fits in the Mirage (was under $20 new from Mitsubishi) and the dash piece from some junkyard which wasn't that cheap at $35 after tax and shipping but that was better than the local yard that had a few... $40 minimum charge and last I remember the one they had left was kinda scratched up anyway and I'd have to drive an hour there to get it so whatever. So once those come in, then I can put the other head unit in and I'll be able to use bluetooth! I also have a leather steering wheel I pulled from a wrecked Mirage, I was going to use it in my nice blue one but it's slightly bent from the accident so while it's still functional the airbag is not perfectly centered between the spokes so I don't want that in my nice car but for this one... who cares! Then it'll have cruise control and steering wheel audio controls as well which will be nice.

-Karl B. 2015 DE 5 speed x 2 and 2015 ES CVT. Plenty of other cars as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (Today)