Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 68307
    Thanks! One day I may have to look into that. Probably right before I get rid of my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Tray table.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  93.0 KB

Tray table so I can eat food on the road. All these restaurants closed down and take out only makes it difficult to eat while out in ****cago or at other yards so... problem averted kinda sorta.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered a PDR tool kit thing (thanks to some hail damage on my cars that recently happened) and decided to see what I could do about the smashed up tail gate on this thing. Figured it's a good thing to experiment on instead of my wife's new 2020 or my nice black 2015.

Name:  Tailgate mostly fixed.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  89.4 KB

While not perfect, it's way way way better. Good enough where I don't feel like replacing the gate is necessary. It was nasty and embarrassing to me before so now it looks normal-ish. I also went over all the paint chips and scratches with the Mitsu paint touchup pen so that should help a bit, too. Worst case, I'll buy a new can of the truck bed paint stuff and paint the bottom of the tailgate under the logos and then it'll be perfect for this thing and match the bumper.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-06-2020),inuvik (12-07-2020),Loren (12-07-2020),MirageRally (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LOL this is awesome. If I get all the parts, next time I am in Chi-town for work can I just pay you to program it all?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you need programmed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    What do you need programmed?
    Steering wheel and cruise
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, that's easy. Get a steering wheel from a cruise equipped Mirage (or the switches if you have a 17 or 18) and a brake light switch from a 2008 Lancer (if you have a 14-15 with a stick... not sure on automatics if it's needed) and it's a pretty easy swap. Bring the crap out to Rockford and I'll be able to do it pretty easily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, some more updates! Mechanically (besides the parking brake cable still... haven't wanted to mess with it yet) the car has been awesome. I bought a TPMS tool from Autel so I could read the codes from the 17 SE wheels and program them into the car so that's done... no more stupid flashing light. Everything seems to work perfectly and the thing drives great.

More exciting, I did a bunch of useless painful to my back seat swapping today and took the seats out of all three of my Mirages and swapped them around. The end result for THIS car is it got the nice seats from my nice blue 2015 ES that I already added a seat heater kit to the driver seat. I took the aftermarket harness, shoved a relay into the heated seat relay spot, cut the blue wire for the heated seat switch connector (it has that connector but not the connectors for the seat, just like my black one) and wired the aftermarket harness up. Drilled a hole in the plastic cover by the parking brake handle for the heated seat switch and it works and looks pretty decent! I don't care about heating the passenger seat in this car so that job is done! Great success!

And... the most exciting part of this rambling update is I found a junkyard in Minnesota that was selling the 14-15 ES nav system for stupid cheap. I paid I think $80 shipped for it (and then sold a Yaris radio I had for $125 shipped using the box and packing materials hahaha) which is really really cheap for one... most of those from pre pulled yards are over $400. It didn't come with the dash bezel or GPS antenna so I had to do some research which was a pain. I figured out it was built by Clarion so I was able to find an aftermarket antenna that works fine for $10 on Amazon. I also went and got an antenna for $25 from a 2018 G4 so I could use the bracket for the Clarion antenna in the stock location. Finally, I figured out the dash bezel is actually DIFFERENT for the Clarion unit. Go figure. Got lucky as hell and did a part number search and found a dealer on eBay selling a brand new bezel for $45 shipped. So it ended up costing more than I was hoping to do this, but it's done and it works. Crap chinese backup camera was also purchased so I could use that feature. The bad part about it is that the phone buttons on the steering wheel (answer, hang up, and the speech recognition) all make the volume go down. I remember that the car I bought that died immediately that had the nav system actually had a different radio control that did not have the phone buttons on it... that'll be an absolute treat to find. I'll try to just leave it be but I know eventually it'll make me mad when I push those buttons expecting it to do what it's supposed to and then it doesn't.

I'll add pictures tomorrow, it's way dark outside by now and I'm too sore to get out of my desk chair unless absolutely necessary right now...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here's a video I poorly recorded about getting dents out of seats. I didn't use the seats on this car but they were originally bought intended to be used on this car. Enjoy my sty garage hahaha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, it's first yard day was successful! I got the missing plastic piece that goes under the bumper and radiator area so now that's on (I assume for fuel economy?) and also acquired a parking brake cable so now the hand brake works!

For those who need parts, there's an almost complete 2014 Mirage DE in red at the LKQ in Milwaukee. I took those parts from it and we also loosened all the lug nuts so someone who wants a set of alloys with okay tires can go get them if you so see fit. Inside was full of junk but was otherwise in good shape. 90K-ish on the clock, CVT, front end was very smashed in. Meant to take the tail lights but forgot so someone go grab them!

Also, at Sturtevant Auto there was a 2017 ES G4 sedan. CVT. Unknown miles. Horribly dirty inside, had the white-ish seats so that was neat. Headlights, taillights, front bumper were all gone. Blue color. Good straight body panels on it though!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-24-2020),inuvik (12-22-2020),MirageRally (12-25-2020)