Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear wiper delete

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    May i ask why did you remove it anyway.
    I removed mine for asthetics. It looks a lot better without it. Also I should update people by saying my 2017's hole is a tiny bit bigger than an inch. The 1 inch plugs I got work perfectly but they have a miniscule amount of play in it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_5651.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  94.3 KB

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OrcaNinja For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-12-2021),davidricardo86 (09-14-2021),inuvik (02-08-2021),MetroMPG (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me, I removed it mostly for weight reduction (all of 2.5 pounds) because I was competing in the car. But, also because I didn't like how it looks, and I don't ever use it. I might feel differently if I had to drive in snow and ice (or even if I had to drive dirt roads regularly) where such a thing is very useful. But, here in FL... I clean the back window when I get gas and it's fine.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Loren - Looks good and clean. Since mine has it, I'll just leave it. But I often wonder why a car that was built to be CHEAP would bother having a rear wiper. It is unneeded. My wife has a 2009 Toyota Matrix (just like Scotty Kilmer's), and it has no rear wiper.

As soon as Mitsubishi hires me as a design engineer, I'm going to ECN out the rear wiper, and bask in the millions I just saved the company! I told Hyundai-Kia leadership that if they would give anyone (engineer or line worker or anyone) 2 measely % of the certified VAVE savings over just 1 year of production, they'd wind up with a car that is nearly free to build. Let's say you save $400,000 a year. What ... H-K can't afford to give you $8,000? Gimme a break. If they did that, VAVE ideas would flood in so fast they wouldn't be able to deal with them all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-10-2021),mitsumi (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Loren - Looks good and clean. Since mine has it, I'll just leave it. But I often wonder why a car that was built to be CHEAP would bother having a rear wiper. It is unneeded. My wife has a 2009 Toyota Matrix (just like Scotty Kilmer's), and it has no rear wiper.

As soon as Mitsubishi hires me as a design engineer, I'm going to ECN out the rear wiper, and bask in the millions I just saved the company! I told Hyundai-Kia leadership that if they would give anyone (engineer or line worker or anyone) 2 measely % of the certified VAVE savings over just 1 year of production, they'd wind up with a car that is nearly free to build. Let's say you save $400,000 a year. What ... H-K can't afford to give you $8,000? Gimme a break. If they did that, VAVE ideas would flood in so fast they wouldn't be able to deal with them all.
    I not only use my rear wiper quite often, but I also use the rear washer fluid quite often. Roads are horrible this time of year. Sand truck just went by my house again today, & we haven't had any new snow since last Thursday. If it's not snow, the sand/salt mess up the rear windows on a hatchback quite bad.

Could I survive without a rear wiper? Sure! I am not big on extra features, but I do use the rear wiper blade on my Mirage & Forester. Wisconsin (Driftless Area)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I use my too, because it's there. But it's not needed, especially down here in the southeast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I use my too, because it's there. But it's not needed, especially down here in the southeast.
    I just made a quick trip to town & back (approximately 25 miles round trip). I used my front washers twice (got behind a semi trailer) & used my rear washers once on this trip alone. Most everyone I saw with a hatchback had a clean swipe left by using their rear wiper recently. The one that didn't looked pretty filthy in the back.

I realize they may not be needed there, but they are used quite a bit here. That's the only point I am trying to make.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    haha i never used it in anyway.. even when its raining because the oem spoiler helps to cover the rain drops from the rear and i dont see any much use of the rear wiper.

also its always hot and dry in our country so the wiper is not a wiper but a dust collector for me.
    Last edited by mitsumi; 02-08-2021 at 10:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcaNinja View Post
    Name:  IMG_5651.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  94.3 KB
    what did you use for tge whole?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another reason I removed mine: I absolutely hate that rear window wiper clean spot! It just make me see that much more how DIRTY the back window is. As mentioned, I understand if you NEED it... snow, dirt roads, whatever. But, I don't drive in those conditions. I'm no clean freak... but, I prefer a consistent "patina" of dust to a streak of clean.

So, there's that. AND... the wiper gets in the way when you just want to grab a squeegee and clean the back window. That's all I want to be able to do... use a simple squeegee at the gas station!

Simplify and add lightness.