Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear wiper delete

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Another reason I removed mine: I absolutely hate that rear window wiper clean spot! It just make me see that much more how DIRTY the back window is. As mentioned, I understand if you NEED it... snow, dirt roads, whatever. But, I don't drive in those conditions. I'm no clean freak... but, I prefer a consistent "patina" of dust to a streak of clean.

So, there's that. AND... the wiper gets in the way when you just want to grab a squeegee and clean the back window. That's all I want to be able to do... use a simple squeegee at the gas station!
    The rear wiper blade can be flipped up to clean the window with a squeegee. It's a manual operation, however. I haven't measured the amount of pulled required to lift the entire rear wiper assembly off the rear window, but I'm sure any child that can reach it can accomplish the task.

It's really no different than flipping the front wipers up to clean the front window with squeegee.

When it comes to cleaning off the rear window with a gas station squeegee, I find the rear spoiler to be more of an annoyance . You can't really fit the squeegee up under there to clean the top of the window.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Another reason I removed mine: I absolutely hate that rear window wiper clean spot!
    While I can totally see this line of thinking, and I'm mostly inline with it. However, I like to see the clean spot on other vehicles. It tells me what kind of person they are. If they have it and never use it and the rear window is dirty with no clean spot, I find that annoying. Tells me the person would probably annoy me. However, if they have it and use it and have a clean spot, it tells me they use it. I have a clean spot at the moment. The whole rear window will get cleaned fairly soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The rear wiper blade can be flipped up to clean the window with a squeegee. It's a manual operation, however. I haven't measured the amount of pulled required to lift the entire rear wiper assembly off the rear window, but I'm sure any child that can reach it can accomplish the task.

It's really no different than flipping the front wipers up to clean the front window with squeegee.
    Yours may be different, but on my 2015, it IS different from the front. The rear wiper only flipped up about 3", not enough to easily get around it with the squeegee. And, as I recall, it didn't stay there, it was spring loaded to stay against the window. It wasn't a matter of difficulty moving it, just that it didn't have a good range of motion.

When it comes to cleaning off the rear window with a gas station squeegee, I find the rear spoiler to be more of an annoyance . You can't really fit the squeegee up under there to clean the top of the window.
    YES!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Loren;124309]Yours may be different, but on my 2015, it IS different from the front. The rear wiper only flipped up about 3", not enough to easily get around it with the squeegee. And, as I recall, it didn't stay there, it was spring loaded to stay against the window. It wasn't a matter of difficulty moving it, just that it didn't have a good range of motion. [Quote]

My 2017 Mirage rear wiper flips almost straight up & stays there. Not much different than the front wipers.

It's been a couple decays since I have seen the spring loaded wipers that don't flip up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I stand corrected, must have been thinking about a different car. I just checked the wiper assembly, found it on my workbench. (because, why put something away, when you can just leave it on the bench for 2 years?) It does flip out to at least 75 degrees.

It's been a couple years, I don't remember the details. But, I found that wiper made it annoying to clean the rear window.

Add that to the fact that I never use it, and I was trying to shave weight from the car for competition. One nut on the arm, couple screws on the motor, and it was gone. It's out of my way and I don't miss it.

And I got the car down to almost 1900 pounds (without giving up the features that I want to have, like AC and a stereo... and carpet), and I was pissing off Porsche drivers with a cheap 3-cylinder FWD car. It doesn't get much better than that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    ... I was pissing off Porsche drivers with a cheap 3-cylinder FWD car. It doesn't get much better than that.
    That DOES sound satisfying. And I admit, it does look CLEAN with it removed. I'm probably going to leave my Blueberry mostly stock so I'll just leave it on there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I stand corrected, must have been thinking about a different car. I just checked the wiper assembly, found it on my workbench. (because, why put something away, when you can just leave it on the bench for 2 years?) It does flip out to at least 75 degrees.

It's been a couple years, I don't remember the details. But, I found that wiper made it annoying to clean the rear window.
    Add that to the fact that I never use it, and I was trying to shave weight from the car for competition. One nut on the arm, couple screws on the motor, and it was gone. It's out of my way and I don't miss it.

And I got the car down to almost 1900 pounds (without giving up the features that I want to have, like AC and a stereo... and carpet), and I was pissing off Porsche drivers with a cheap 3-cylinder FWD car. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I've never offended a Porsche driver with my Mirage.

I don't use rear wipers much during the warmer months. It's nice to have during the winter when the roads are messy. Rear hatchback windows collect more stuff than a sedan, & that's probably why you see rear wiper blades on hatchbacks. I understand some climates not caring about them so much.

Luckily, the headlight wipers that Mercedes use to have never really caught on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love rear wiper blades and wish they where on every car. I love the high end Mitsubishis use to include them on Sedans like my Evo. I dont know why you wouldnt always want the option of having more visibility.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It only gives you more rear visibility if your back window gets dirty. For me, in the environment that I drive in, that might happen over the course of a month or two... maybe. I usually clean it every time I put gas in the car, which... if I was driving it regularly, would be every week or two.

Really. It's not a problem. For me.

Most of the cars that I've owned in 38 years of driving have not had rear wipers. I'm okay without it. And nobody is suggesting that you can't have yours.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    if any one who has done this or is going to can report back on what the power situation is on the wiper plug wires?
    always hot with ground getting controlled by the switch or always ground with power from the switch?
    i am thinking of using the power there to power a rear camera