Thread: WTF 331 mph from a street car?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

WTF 331 mph from a street car?

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/11863/ssc...production-car

You know, I used to own a Lancair with a turbo conversion which could fly at nearly 400mph which is truly insane from a single engine 4 place aircraft. (It also had a ceiling of near 30,000 feet, again insane for General Aviation craft. Thing is my Lancair was worth $450K US give or take. Yes, some guys want nearly $1M US for one, but w/e. You can bet this car is more than $3-4M US!.)

Why, why why spend that kind of cheese on a ride where you can never take it to it's limit unless you live close to an Autoahn????? Is your piece really that short? At least with my Lancair I could fly it legally @360mph to get there fast!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    https://www.evo.co.uk/news/11863/ssc...production-car

You know, I used to own a Lancair with a turbo conversion which could fly at nearly 400mph which is truly insane from a single engine 4 place aircraft. (It also had a ceiling of near 30,000 feet, again insane for General Aviation craft. Thing is my Lancair was worth $450K US give or take. Yes, some guys want nearly $1M US for one, but w/e. You can bet this car is more than $3-4M US!.)

Why, why why spend that kind of cheese on a ride where you can never take it to it's limit unless you live close to an Autoahn????? Is your piece really that short? At least with my Lancair I could fly it legally @360mph to get there fast!
    I will be honest Wallythacker, you know this already but my number 1 dream growing up was to get my pilot's license and fly private planes. Definitely my big dream growing up and playing hours of Flight Simulator. My grandfather had a piper way before I was born, and flying family vacations were pretty scary at times apparently.

Anyhow remarkable stuff, must have been a hoot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, well if you can pass the medical it's never too late to learn. When I was looking to buy my Lancair there was one owned by guy at least 85 or more. He was only retiring becuase he knew his reflexes weren't up to flying such a high performance plane.

And quite honestly, with COVID so many people stopped taking lessons that some flying schools, the ones still operating, are dying for clients. There are many good unpublished deals out there.

Maybe one day you can do as I've done and have fractional ownership in a twin turbofan small jet. I've never had a conflict when I wanted it and it's as cheap to fly (not maintain though) as my Lancair was. Once you've flown jets, you're spoiled and that's all you want to fly forever. Go for it.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-29-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, well if you can pass the medical it's never too late to learn. When I was looking to buy my Lancair there was one owned by guy at least 85 or more. He was only retiring becuase he knew his reflexes weren't up to flying such a high performance plane.

And quite honestly, with COVID so many people stopped taking lessons that some flying schools, the ones still operating, are dying for clients. There are many good unpublished deals out there.

Maybe one day you can do as I've done and have fractional ownership in a twin turbofan small jet. I've never had a conflict when I wanted it and it's as cheap to fly (not maintain though) as my Lancair was. Once you've flown jets, you're spoiled and that's all you want to fly forever. Go for it.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. You make a great point that now may be a good time. Go figure. Anyways I am pretty sure they have a flying school out of Sarnia Chris Hadfield airport. Honestly the other thing I would love to get into is auto racing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's already speculation that the speed is inaccurate. Here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daT...annel=Shmee150

As for "why", I'm assuming it's a 'marketing gimmick'. Even though, there are already some people claiming that it didn't do 331mph. Also, I feel like it's what some really REALLY rich dude would tell his other rich friends about, haha. But really, if conditions are on your side, I guess 300mph isn't impossible lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Oh yeah, well I can get 40mpg. I bet it's a real pain to change the oil too on that thing lol
    There now I feel better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    There's already speculation that the speed is inaccurate. Here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daT...annel=Shmee150

As for "why", I'm assuming it's a 'marketing gimmick'. Even though, there are already some people claiming that it didn't do 331mph. Also, I feel like it's what some really REALLY rich dude would tell his other rich friends about, haha. But really, if conditions are on your side, I guess 300mph isn't impossible lol
    Video guy makes valid points, I doubt it hit 331mph after some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Oh yeah, well I can get 40mpg. I bet it's a real pain to change the oil too on that thing lol
    There now I feel better.
    I get more satisfaction from our awesome little cars and 40-50mpg than 300+ mph on the street. And I enjoy doing oil changes too!