Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan not exactly saving the environment

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    And some people complain about the depreciation on the Mirage!
    Do the math on the depreciation of a 7-Series BMW.

The only reason a 5 year old (or older) 7-Series can even be resold is because a) they look very nice, and b) that's all it takes for the people who buy them but don't have any idea of the financial problems they are unleashing on themselves.

I own a Lexus LS 460L. Which is a direct competitor to the 7-Series. The LS is not a "driver's car" like the BMW, I'll give you that. The LS is more of a grandpa car. But the LS rarely breaks anything, and when it does, it is repaired at very reasonable costs (except maybe the starter). On the LS forums, when we get to feeling down on our vehicles for their problems, we just go to the BMW 7 Series forums, throw-up, and come back with deep love of our LS 460s.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I read this article from CBC a few days ago (the original source)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nis...tery-1.5769998

Not sure why this person hasn't contacted a battery rebuilder that specializes in Hybrids & EVs, even here in Nova Scotia there are a few who will rebuild your battery for *much* cheaper than a new battery from Toyota/Nissan/Tesla/BMW/GM or any other automaker.

Large companies refusing to supply parts to their older products in an effort to pressure them into buying new things isn't exactly new (planned obsolescence)...It's pretty common practice in Computers, Appliances & Cars to some extent (sadly).

It's just that when it's *the drive battery* it's kind of an issue here.

Like others have mentioned, Nissan had questionable engineering choices when they decided to build an BEV with only passive (aka no forced air or liquid) cooling.

Even the much derided i-MiEV had a blower fan in it's battery compartment to keep it cool when quick charging to keep the battery cool and happy. Nissan? Nothing.

That's fine for cold and temperate places (Like Canada most of the time), but in hot places this became a big issue with premature failure and degradation.

The warranty on that Nissan has long expired so i'm not sure why they're going through Nissan like it's their only option.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 10-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Saw this in my feed. So the Leaf battery can't be replaced?? How green...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...ms-150788.html
    That is interesting. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Mirage (in 10 years lol) with an electric vehicle.

Given my price point, the Leaf is the most logical, economical choice. Maybe I should second-guess this idea. The other day I read a review of the new Porsche electric sedan in R & T magazine this month. They did a cross-country trip using the new 'Electrify America' charging stations... and it doesn't seem that easy or simple to have an e-vehicle yet. Apparently in Europe this is a different story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    The best electric vehicle out there (for actual vehicle purposes) is the Volt. I haven't kept up with it, but I don't think it is in production any longer. But the Bolt or Dolt or some such crap replaced it and is probably the same drivetrain.

Back to the Volt. It is an electric vehicle with a gas engine as a back up only to drive a generator. The first ~40 miles are pure electric.

Those guys on the Volt forum were achieving 1,000's of mpg. Because they would set themselves up to only need the electric range, and have it back home to charge it, before the gas engine would be needed.

But guess what? If you wanted to drive cross country in the Volt, it would do it with no drama. The gas engine just runs hard enough to keep the electric drivetrain going, and can use the gas engine to power the generator for as long as the tank has gas. No need to stop at a charging station at all. Gas and go. Best of both worlds.

Those guys on the forum had to use Sta-Bil in their tanks because they could go MONTHS without replacing the gas in their tanks. A buddy of mine who lives in NY, flew down to Atlanta on bidness, but had arranged to buy a used Volt while he was down here. And drove it straight back to NY without any issues, no delays. That was years ago and he still loves his Volt.

I have my own personal saying about a Tesla. "You'll never see an out of state Tesla." Once the electric range is done, it takes hours to recharge fully, even at one of their "Super-Chargers." Very inconvenient. You can't drive it across country in less than a week. And it might turn into a dramatic affair to do so, in some parts of the U.S.A. I'm not a fan of Tesla, and refer to them as Tata, just to annoy the owners.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Very inconvenient. You can't drive it across country in less than a week. And it might turn into a dramatic affair to do so, in some parts of the U.S.A. I'm not a fan of Tesla, and refer to them as Tata, just to annoy the owners.

7milesout
    Ha I get the Tata reference, but they make better cars now, and all sorts of of things too as far as I know.

Anyway, the Volt seems very expensive for a compact Chevy. I'd probably just buy a Prius then. That is my main thing when a Chevy Cruise used isn't $49,000 or at least I hope not.

I see your point and your story a fascinating. Like about where transportation is headed in the future; and what is possible now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Do the math on the depreciation of a 7-Series BMW.

The only reason a 5 year old (or older) 7-Series can even be resold is because a) they look very nice, and b) that's all it takes for the people who buy them but don't have any idea of the financial problems they are unleashing on themselves.

I own a Lexus LS 460L. Which is a direct competitor to the 7-Series. The LS is not a "driver's car" like the BMW, I'll give you that. The LS is more of a grandpa car. But the LS rarely breaks anything, and when it does, it is repaired at very reasonable costs (except maybe the starter). On the LS forums, when we get to feeling down on our vehicles for their problems, we just go to the BMW 7 Series forums, throw-up, and come back with deep love of our LS 460s.
    Agreed. The last BMW I liked at all was the E46 because they were reasonably reliable and you could at least turn your own wrenches on them.

BMW lost me when they went to D.I. motors. All of the newer ones are sh!twagons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The best electric vehicle out there (for actual vehicle purposes) is the Volt. I haven't kept up with it, but I don't think it is in production any longer. But the Bolt or Dolt or some such crap replaced it and is probably the same drivetrain.

Back to the Volt. It is an electric vehicle with a gas engine as a back up only to drive a generator. The first ~40 miles are pure electric.

Those guys on the Volt forum were achieving 1,000's of mpg. Because they would set themselves up to only need the electric range, and have it back home to charge it, before the gas engine would be needed.

But guess what? If you wanted to drive cross country in the Volt, it would do it with no drama. The gas engine just runs hard enough to keep the electric drivetrain going, and can use the gas engine to power the generator for as long as the tank has gas. No need to stop at a charging station at all. Gas and go. Best of both worlds.

Those guys on the forum had to use Sta-Bil in their tanks because they could go MONTHS without replacing the gas in their tanks. A buddy of mine who lives in NY, flew down to Atlanta on bidness, but had arranged to buy a used Volt while he was down here. And drove it straight back to NY without any issues, no delays. That was years ago and he still loves his Volt.

I have my own personal saying about a Tesla. "You'll never see an out of state Tesla." Once the electric range is done, it takes hours to recharge fully, even at one of their "Super-Chargers." Very inconvenient. You can't drive it across country in less than a week. And it might turn into a dramatic affair to do so, in some parts of the U.S.A. I'm not a fan of Tesla, and refer to them as Tata, just to annoy the owners.

7milesout
    Yeah, I always thought the BMW i3 was slick for being a small EV and having a gas-powered 'range extender' (BMW motorcycle engine) similar to the Volt. Looked kinda cool, too. But apparently they are also sh!twagons and can be bought cheap around 5 years old.