Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 93,000 miles…my original tires have finally worn out

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with everything you say except for the need to have roadside warranty or "Who is gonna fix it". Warranties are a suckers game most of the time at least where I live. They always find some excuse not to honor it.

When I drive over a nail who is gonna fix it? Me, thats who. With a tire patch kit (plugs) that I already have in the trunk. And its very easy, plenty of good YouTube tutorials. I fixed 2 flats already in only 21k miles. Cant really prevent flats, it just happens. So we have to be prepared and keep an air inflator in the car along with the patch kit.

I always say the best rescue is self-rescue. But I am very impressed at how much life you got out of those tires. Also recommend

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR.../dp/B00KN0UOEE

This Aerospace 303 tire protector will prevent us ever having to change a tire simply due to dry-rot and damage from the sun. Apply that stuff twice per year and its like applying moisturizer to your face to keep the wrinkles away.

Apply also to the rubber around the window and door seals and also to the CV boots under the car. This stuff is like a serum that protects rubber and keeps it moist and soft and healthy.

Last edited by fc321; 11-01-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I agree with everything you say except for the need to have roadside warranty or "Who is gonna fix it". Warranties are a suckers game most of the time at least where I live. They always find some excuse not to honor it.

When I drive over a nail who is gonna fix it? Me, thats who. With a tire patch kit (plugs) that I already have in the trunk. And its very easy, plenty of good YouTube tutorials. I fixed 2 flats already in only 21k miles. Cant really prevent flats, it just happens. So we have to be prepared and keep an air inflator in the car along with the patch kit.

I always say the best rescue is self-rescue. But I am very impressed at how much life you got out of those tires. Also recommend

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR.../dp/B00KN0UOEE

This Aerospace 303 tire protector will prevent us ever having to change a tire simply due to dry-rot and damage from the sun. Apply that stuff twice per year and its like applying moisturizer to your face to keep the wrinkles away.

Apply also to the rubber around the window and door seals and also to the CV boots under the car. This stuff is like a serum that protects rubber and keeps it moist and soft and healthy.
    I would also never pay extra for tire warranty insurance. Having a nail or screwed pulled from a tire and then patched/plugged hasn't cost me more than $10. I usually drop the tire off in the morning & pick it up after work. Most times, a slip isn't even made up for it.

I may benefit from living/working in small town area. Most tire shops or mechanics know me by my first name. After 34 years in public education, I've taught or coached most of their kids.

My first car was a 5-year old used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon (giving a time perspective here). A Dunlop Enasave on my Mirage is the only tire that I remember having to replace (sidewall issue) before being worn out. I've had numerous tires with plugged holes over the years. That's never been an issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    When I drive over a nail who is gonna fix it? Me, thats who. With a tire patch kit (plugs) that I already have in the trunk.
    I hope Basic reads this thread...

As long as you understand that a tire plug not considered an acceptable permanent repair and you're good with that...then you're OK. I still use tire plugs to get me out of a jamb temporarily. I prefer to get my tires patched correctly...which requires removing the tire from the wheel and takes about 20 minutes. Around here that's a $25+ job.

I generally don't pay additional for road hazard warranty...but I consider it a bonus if it's included as part of the tire purchase. Here's a perfect example that just happened to me this past week...

My wife's car picked up an industrial staple in a tire. Because it was a staple, the tire had 2 punctures less than an inch apart. No legitimate tire shop will repair that. The only answer was a $200 new tire plus mounting/balancing...even though these tires had under 4,000 miles on them! Fortunately I bought the tires at Costco (which included road hazard warranty for free). They replaced the tire with a brand new one for about $20.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You done good Man! X pattern rotation? Or simple front to back?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    X pattern rotation? Or simple front to back?
    I use this pattern every 5,000 miles. The only reason I do it every 5,000 is because that's when I change my oil...so it's easier for this old man to remember.

Name:  tire_rotation.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  27.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use this pattern every 5,000 miles. The only reason I do it every 5,000 is because that's when I change my oil...so it's easier for this old man to remember.

Name:  tire_rotation.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  27.1 KB
    I knew before I asked.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

As long as you understand that a tire plug not considered an acceptable permanent repair and you're good with that...then you're OK. I still use tire plugs to get me out of a jamb temporarily. I prefer to get my tires patched correctly...which requires removing the tire from the wheel and takes about 20 minutes. Around here that's a $25+ job.
    When I make reference to having a tire plugged, it's really a combination of a plug & a patch.

They access the nail hole from the inside. The plug/patch is pulled through from the inside and the patch is glue on inside of the tire, too. Any excess plug sticking out is cut off. When I watched them do one of my tires once, they didn't have to completely remove the tire from the rim. They just pull one side of the tire out of the rim to access the area to plug/patch. It doesn't take them very long 5-10 minutes with the proper tire tools.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The rear alignment on my car has a bit of camber for some reason and the inside wears first (equally on each rear tire). After normal rotation all 4 tires show minor/moderate inside wear at which point I reverse the tire on the rim itself (my tires are non directional). I should add that my car does not seem to have the classic rear alignment toe issue that resulted from the one bum factory axle jig years ago.

Curious what your thoughts are on reversing the tires on the rims?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    The rear alignment on my car has a bit of camber for some reason and the inside wears first (equally on each rear tire). After normal rotation all 4 tires show minor/moderate inside wear at which point I reverse the tire on the rim itself (my tires are non directional). I should add that my car does not seem to have the classic rear alignment toe issue that resulted from the one bum factory axle jig years ago.

Curious what your thoughts are on reversing the tires on the rims?
    If you have the means to do so, by all means, go for it. It will definitely add life to your tires avoiding the premature inside wear.

Resident Tire Engineer

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

gone.a (11-03-2020),Top_Fuel (11-03-2020)