Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminder - New Mirages in northern climates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I don't understand.. you've had your Mirage since mid 2015, and you live in Ohio, and you've never topped up your windshield washer fluid?
    That's right. I'm pretty sure my dealership topped off the fluids at one time. Every now and then I have to beat back the dried-on salt spray, usually on a spring day. But for the most part, I just don't use the washer fluid much at all so I don't go through much of it.

I'll hit the local car wash during the winter to beat back the salt top to bottom.

For those rare occasions when I use my washer fluid, it smells weird like glycol. One day I'll use that stuff up and put some good stuff in.

Are you sure you don't own a dinky car?
    I don't understand what you mean??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I got mine at AutoZone, blue Rain X 2 in 1 de-icer and winter washer fluid. Also for those of you that live in Ohio, I drive out to Andover Today and I really like the township... Also drove through Jefferson Township as well... I really like both townships and would consider moving to one of those instead of overseas... I want to live in a town that l can walk to everything and not have to drive.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

For those rare occasions when I use my washer fluid, it smells weird like glycol. One day I'll use that stuff up and put some good stuff in.

I don't understand what you mean??
    I just mean your Mirage must not see that much driving action, like a museum piece .

I think every driver should at least check their oil stick, as well as washer fluid levels on regular basis.

But I think you might be someone who is never under the hood and that is fine. Just be careful is all, running out of washer fluid on the freeway in the winter is downright dangerous. You want to know where you level is, there is no electronic method for this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I got mine at AutoZone, blue Rain X 2 in 1 de-icer and winter washer fluid.
    I used to use Rain-X and it worked as advertised. What they didn't advertise (I'm talking late 1980s) is it leaves a film on your windshield. After some use, that film becomes pitted with normal use - maybe from some random small bits of dirt hitting the windshield?? Anyway it left little pits in the film that left the windshield in bad shape, hampering visibility worse than if I had just kept with good wipers. I'll never use any Rain-X product again as I felt over time it made things worse but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Also for those of you that live in Ohio, I drive out to Andover Today and I really like the township... Also drove through Jefferson Township as well... I really like both townships and would consider moving to one of those instead of overseas... I want to live in a town that l can walk to everything and not have to drive.
    I have family in Andover though it's been years since I was out there. There were no sidewalks in their part of town. Andover and Jefferson are both pretty rural. What parts are walkable? Have you ever lived in a small town before?

I just mean your Mirage must not see that much driving action, like a museum piece .

I think every driver should at least check their oil stick, as well as washer fluid levels on regular basis.

But I think you might be someone who is never under the hood and that is fine. Just be careful is all, running out of washer fluid on the freeway in the winter is downright dangerous. You want to know where you level is, there is no electronic method for this
    Speck is my winter beater, my foul-weather backup plan. Rally knows.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Speck is my winter beater, my foul-weather backup plan. Rally knows.
    I would just make sure to keep an eye on your fluid levels. Rain-x has its pluses and minuses, but my overall anecdotal analysis is that it is needlessly expensive. Some people swear by the stuff. I dont' know. I need to buy another jug and see what happens.

My local Ford dealer gives me a jug of washer fluid every oil change, so actually I have more washer fluid coming in than I have being used lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Eggman;118246]I used to use Rain-X and it worked as advertised. What they didn't advertise (I'm talking late 1980s) is it leaves a film on your windshield. After some use, that film becomes pitted with normal use - maybe from some random small bits of dirt hitting the windshield?? Anyway it left little pits in the film that left the windshield in bad shape, hampering visibility worse than if I had just kept with good wipers. I'll never use any Rain-X product again as I felt over time it made things worse but that's just me.

Edit: I honestly Love small towns, you just got to make sure the one you pick has everything you need in it haha.... Look at Chardon, Chardon is interweb and has some places with sidewalks but everything is not in the town but spread out which makes it difficult for some things.... Eggman have you ever been to Mantua village? Just 20 minutes from Newbury... Very nice little town, but everything is too packed together, whereas Andover has a little bit here and there .....same as Jefferson out by Johnny Mullet... I drove through Jefferson township today as well and the apartments had sidewalks attached throughout the whole town... Was very nice to drive around and see that I could walk everywhere.....

The roundabout has sidewalks that go pretty much throughout the whole town now... But yes there are definitely some parts that do not have any sidewalks.... But I would make sure that I bought a house that would have sidewalks next to it... Or I would rent the apartments there... they have sidewalks in that little development that go to the whole township... Plus they just have everything that I would need and you get your exercise walking around the town

Last edited by MirageRally; 10-31-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles