Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reminder - New Mirages in northern climates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

Reminder - New Mirages in northern climates

If you own a newer Mirage, pump out you windshield washer fluid before the cold weather hits.

As I was changing my oil in my Mirage today & looking things over, I was reminded of my first winter with my Mirage. My Mirage (assuming all do) came with very diluted windshield washer fluid. When cold weather really hit, everything froze up. When that happens, you go without washer fluid until things thaw again. In some cases, that can be weeks or months depending on where you live.

If you live in a cold weather climate, I suggest pumping out all of your windshield washing fluid & don't forget the line running to the rear window, too. Just sit in your car, push on your wash fluid lever, & let it pump entirely out. You're only wasting a bit of very diluted washer fluid. Add some good stuff & run it into the front & back hoses leading to the windshields. You won't regret doing this. You may regret not doing it, however! I know I did!

Even when my front hose thawed out that first winter, it took another week or two before the rear hose opened up. Don't overlook putting good fluid in the entire system.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-31-2020),dragon2knight (11-08-2020),Fummins (10-30-2020),inuvik (10-30-2020),MacClyver (10-31-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Even when my front hose thawed out that first winter, it took another week or two before the rear hose opened up. Don't overlook putting good fluid in the entire system.
    That is an interesting point, Mark. The windshield washer fluid that came with in my Mirage new STANK. Really putrid, strange smell. I'm only exaggerating a little lol.

So riding my Mirage the first few months was the new-car smell, and the dank odour coming from the windshield washer fluid. Not sure why the stuff smelled so weird.

I'm getting an oil change and tires rotated in a few weeks, my local Ford dealer where I get my service done is pretty busy at the moment. I'm also getting my brakes inspected and tires rotated. If money wasn't so hard to earn, I'd be buying all-weather tires this year. I still should...

Woke up to light snow this morning here in southern Ontario.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Good advice. It's been mentioned before but that post or thread is probably buried somewhere in a thread about something unrelated lol

I recall all of the work Mirage's that were bought in the fall or winter all came with washer fluid that froze. Every single car they bough had some watered down crappy washer fluid. I don't know if they were filled at the dealer or before they got on the boat?

I ran into a similar problem with our Nissans but when the fluid would freeze up a check valve/y-fitting under the hood insulation sometimes they'd work after thawing, other times I just threw them in the garbage and just used just a plain Y fitting instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That is an interesting point, Mark. The windshield washer fluid that came with in my Mirage new STANK. Really putrid, strange smell. I'm only exaggerating a little lol.

So riding my Mirage the first few months was the new-car smell, and the dank odour coming from the windshield washer fluid. Not sure why the stuff smelled so weird.
    Wasn’t that a glycol solution? At least mine smells like glycol.

Don’t think I’ve topped it off yet. Should probably check.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly just accept that sprayers don't work in winter. Scraping the windshield cleans it and if I don't need to scrape wiping it down with a handful of snow and the clearing with the wipers cleans it as well.

Also the common recommendation to get new wipers at the start of the winter? I have such bad luck with ice and snow destroying wipers it makes much more sense to change the wipers out in the Spring.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I honestly just accept that sprayers don't work in winter. Scraping the windshield cleans it and if I don't need to scrape wiping it down with a handful of snow and the clearing with the wipers cleans it as well.

Also the common recommendation to get new wipers at the start of the winter? I have such bad luck with ice and snow destroying wipers it makes much more sense to change the wipers out in the Spring.
    I understand that, but I think it's still better to not have fluid that's going to freeze solid in the windshield washer system. I can't imagine freezing liquid is good for it?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (10-31-2020),MirageRally (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, now you got me thinking of disconnecting the hose going to the nozzles and pumping it into a container for later use.

Quickly drying winter salt spray off other vehicles tires is the only time I ever needed them... Yeah you have a point, I'll take your advice and get the sprayers working and buy winter solution.

But really for me I guess expensive winter solution wouldn't even be expensive. I think I used all of a half gallon in 30000 miles in my red Metro, sprayers don't work period in the other two. And I never used them in my Mirage I don't think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    No, now you got me thinking of disconnecting the hose going to the nozzles and pumping it into a container for later use.

Quickly drying winter salt spray off other vehicles tires is the only time I ever needed them... Yeah you have a point, I'll take your advice and get the sprayers working and buy winter solution.

But really for me I guess expensive winter solution wouldn't even be expensive. I think I used all of a half gallon in 30000 miles in my red Metro, sprayers don't work period in the other two. And I never used them in my Mirage I don't think.
    A gallon jug of SuperTech Winter Formula Washer Fluid is only $1.97. It's not like it can't be used year round, too. At that price I don't see the need to dilute the stuff for summer use. When winter comes around, I don't have to worry about changing liquid then.

If I can prevent it, I wouldn't let the system freeze up. Water expands when it freezes, & that can't be good for things.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A gallon jug of SuperTech Winter Formula Washer Fluid is only $1.97. It's not like it can't be used year round, too.
    Autozone here I come! Lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wasn’t that a glycol solution? At least mine smells like glycol.

Don’t think I’ve topped it off yet. Should probably check.
    I don't understand.. you've had your Mirage since mid 2015, and you live in Ohio, and you've never topped up your windshield washer fluid? Are you sure you don't own a dinky car? I check my washer level every week in the winter, practically a safety thing. (running out on the freeway in a winter storm.

I'm endlessly searching for a good funnel, so I don't top up my electrical stuff as well as my washer reservoir . I saw some sweet metal funnels at Canadian Tire the other day.

Wipers get pretty chewed up pretty quick on "dry" and iced up windshields. Helps to get the job done and save the wipers if you use washer fluid while you're wiping.

Last edited by dspace9; 10-31-2020 at 05:48 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)