Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I decided to replace the stock 14's for aftermarket 14's

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I decided to replace the stock 14's for aftermarket 14's

After a bit of thought, and some serious research on here (MASSIVE thanks to Top_Fuel and Mark especially) I decided that the stock sized tires weren't for me. As a refresher, I got my 2019 from Carvana and they paid to replace the worn down Dunlops with new Bridgestone Potenza RE92's. To be completely honest, I hated the RE92's just as much as the Dunlops....both were very squirrelly on even the slightest curves and in my opinion not so great in the rain either. So I decided a major-ish change was in order.

After the aforementioned massive research, I boiled it down to 2 ways of doing this. The first was to copy the excellent formula Top_Fuel did with converting to 15x6.5's + the nice Bridgestone tires combined with Konig Helium rims. What turned me off to this combo was the Helium's real reputation for not being all that stout. As I live in one of the pothole capitols of the world (The Bronx, NY...not to mention most all of NYC really...)Those rims wouldn't hold up too well. Strike one.

I then went with just slightly wider 14x6" Primax 772 Machined Wheel (14 x 6. inches /4 x 100 mm, 38 mm Offset, 5" Backspace) with a tire I've used many times on my older Toyota Corolla's 175 65R 14 Westlake RP18 tires. These tires have proven to me to be long wearing, great in rain and snow and pretty quite in operation all for $45.00 each. Time will tell on actual performance from gas mileage to wear, but I'm confident it will work out fine. Total weight for the combo is 30 pounds, 14 even for the rims + 16 even for the tires. Total cost to me including all the necessary bits like Hub centric rings, lug nuts and new TPMS stems as well as tire install on the rims at Mavis Tire in the Bronx was a pretty great $589.00, tax included

Wish me luck, all of this is getting done in less than 6 days !

For the record, here are the links to this combo if anyone's actually interested in it:

Rims: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Tires: https://www.amazon.com/Westlake-Seas...2J8ZF0DA03BQJB

Some pics for you as well:

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 11-02-2020 at 12:32 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Total cost to me including all the necessary bits like Hub centric rings, lug nuts and new TPMS stems as well as tire install on the rims at Mavis Tire in the Bronx was a pretty great $589.00, tax included

New Bridgestone Pontenza tires $115.05/tire ($460.20) @ tirerack.com

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 steel rims @ $50/rim = $200

https://onlywheels.com/wheels/steel-wheel-14

Professionally reconditioned Mirage wheel covers $59.95/cover = $239.80

https://www.ineedahubcap.com/mitsubi...4aAigaEALw_wcB

If wanted to buy what you already have on your Mirage, it would cost you -

$460 + tax for tires
    $200 + tax for steel rims (not sure if shipping is included in this price)
    $240 + tax for reconditioned factory wheel covers
    ---------
    $900 + whatever costs are necessary for mounting/balancing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    New Bridgestone Pontenza tires $115.05/tire ($460.20) @ tirerack.com

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 steel rims @ $50/rim = $200

https://onlywheels.com/wheels/steel-wheel-14

Professionally reconditioned Mirage wheel covers $59.95/cover = $239.80

https://www.ineedahubcap.com/mitsubi...4aAigaEALw_wcB

If wanted to buy what you already have on your Mirage, it would cost you -

$460 + tax for tires
    $200 + tax for steel rims (not sure if shipping is included in this price)
    $240 + tax for reconditioned factory wheel covers
    ---------
    $900 + whatever costs are necessary for mounting/balancing
    Wow 😳
    Glad I did what I did 🤣

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow 😳
    Glad I did what I did 🤣
    It would take someone giving me $900+ for all those item for me to be glad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Mark, do you think that $900 price tag is a little steep for a set of used wheels? Would you pay $900 for used rims & tires?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (11-01-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    After a bit of thought, and some serious research on here (MASSIVE thanks to Top_Fuel and Mark especially) I decided that the stock sized tires weren't for me. As a refresher, I got my 2019 from Carvana and they paid to replace the worn down Dunlops with new Bridgestone Potenza RE92's. To be completely honest, I hated the RE92's just as much as the Dunlops....both were very squirrelly on even the slightest curves and in my opinion not so great in the rain either. So I decided a major-ish change was in order.

After the aforementioned massive research, I boiled it down to 2 ways of doing this. The first was to copy the excellent formula Top_Fuel did with converting to 15x6.5's + the nice Bridgestone tires combined with Konig Helium rims. What turned me off to this combo was the Helium's real reputation for not being all that stout. As I live in one of the pothole capitols of the world (The Bronx, NY...not to mention most all of NYC really...)Those rims wouldn't hold up too well. Strike one.

I then went with just slightly wider 14x6" Primax 772 Machined Wheel (14 x 6. inches /4 x 100 mm, 38 mm Offset, 5" Backspace) with a tire I've used many times on my older Toyota Corolla's 175 65R 14 Westlake RP18 tires. These tires have proven to me to be long wearing, great in rain and snow and pretty quite in operation all for $45.00 each. Time will tell on actual performance from gas mileage to wear, but I'm confident it will work out fine. Total weight for the combo is 32.4 pounds, 16.4 for the rims + 16 for the tires. Total cost to me including all the necessary bits like Hub centric rings, lug nuts and new TPMS stems as well as tire install on the rims at Mavis Tire in the Bronx was a pretty great $589.00, tax included

For the record, here are the links to this combo if anyone's actually interested in it:

Rims: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Tires: https://www.amazon.com/Westlake-Seas...2J8ZF0DA03BQJB

Some pics for you as well:
    Did the exact same thing on the G4 with Vision Cross wheels (same size) and cheap Barum Brillantis2 tires 175 65 r14. Mark helped me to get on this and explained the pros vs cons. Thank you Mark! Your losing some mpg and gaining a lot of style, more confidence in wet road conditions IMO. True hypermillers though wouldn't be thrilled though, as you can kiss getting 50 mpg @ 2000 rpms goodbye lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Correction, the Vision Cross are 5.5" width.

Name:  20200429_104354.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  96.1 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  20200429_102425.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  96.7 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark, do you think that $900 price tag is a little steep for a set of used wheels? Would you pay $900 for used rims & tires?
    I think my point is being missed here, but that's ok. My point is that he's never going to get anything near that for them. What he has already is worth more than what he is buying.

Bridgestone tires are overpriced, however. In his case, he's not even happy with them. Since he feels that he got the Bridgestone for free, getting whatever for them may make him feel good. There's nothing wrong with that.

Seems a bit ironic when going from $100 tires to $45 tires is considered an upgrade, but I understand that he wants more traction & maybe better handling. His new rims will look great, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think my point is being missed here, but that's ok. My point is that he's never going to get anything near that for them. What he has already is worth more than what he is buying.

Bridgestone tires are overpriced, however. In his case, he's not even happy with them. Since he feels that he got the Bridgestone for free, getting whatever for them may make him feel good. There's nothing wrong with that.

Seems a bit ironic when going from $100 tires to $45 tires is considered an upgrade, but I understand that he wants more traction & maybe better handling. His new rims will look great, too.
    Funny you'd think I'd even want anywhere near that much for them, lol. And yes I got your point from the out, just made a little light of it is all. IMHO the RE92's aren't very good tires, maybe I'd have the same reaction to any LRR tire, they are too soft and, as I mentioned, squirrelly to be safe enough to inspire any confidence in inclement weather. I live in the North East, and I get pummeled with every type of weather there is from sunny days to 6-10 inch snow storms and I need a tire they can deal with that. The RE92's are not that tire. If the weather is fair and the sailing smooth so to speak where you live, then by all means stick to the LRR choices, they simply aren't for me.

While I really do revere your knowledge on tires on here you do seem to think paying more for a tire is equal to their performance. But there are some exceptional tires at the lower price levels, and the RP18's may be their king. My partner and I have used these on two separate Corolla's, a '98 and a 2000, with great results rolling out over 45,000 miles on 4 different sets over a 5-ish year period. You'll find many, many reviewers stating the same. They are really good tires in all weather and that's so much more important than ultimate gas mileage IMHO. Fat lotta good a tire is if it can't keep you on the road when it rains

And finally, yes I could have stuck with the steelies with these tires, no doubt, but the insane low cost of these rim's was the major contributing factor to me buying them, plus their lower weight might help offset the higher weight of the tires (compared to the stock ones) to at least give me a shot at not destroying my gas mileage...time will tell on that one. At the end of the day, I'm happy and know I'll be safe, and that's all that matters to me

Last edited by dragon2knight; 11-01-2020 at 01:16 PM.