Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st speeding ticket in a Mirage!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't agree with your statement at all. If the world was a perfect place, we wouldn't need police or the military for that matter. Some of my best friends (people I admire the most) are police officers. My uncle, who served in Vietnam as a point man (life expectancy was 48 hours) & earn 3 purple hearts doing his job, was my idol as a very young boy. He was a black belt, & no one came close to out shooting him with shotgun. I mean that literally. He would blow away Remington & Winchester reps at state trap shoots in the 1970s. Shooting a 100 out of a 100 clay pigeons was common for him. I couldn't get my shotgun to my shoulder before he would have bird already dead. It was scary, but fun to see!

A former state trooper from my church passed away recently. I loved his sense of humor & kindness he showed to others. Most police officers & military are wonderful souls. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water! If I was told to jump by an officer, I would politely ask how high? They deserve our respect!
    I get your point, but keep in mind this is a global Mirage/Space Star forum. Some people may remember their grandparents having the SS police knock at their door in occupied Holland. Or the Dutch army dropping bombs in Indonesia. My friend fled Vietnam so he doesn't know the exact year he was born, and his family supported the south. So it's all relative, no disrespect meant. But I have Detroit news on my cable TV too so I'm not blind to the issues America continues to face. Rich people get bone spurs more.

Regarding respecting veterans, not only do I wear a poppy over my heart all the time from now til November 11, mine has tape on it to keep the poppy on.

Last edited by dspace9; 11-01-2020 at 05:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Thanks for the critique: sorry, we can't all be the master of weed jokes...
    Your welcome I guess?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only been pulled over I think 2 times and always for not coming to complete stop at a stop sign (In a speed trap small city that I have to drive thru daily). Was able to talk my way out of those 2 but then got pulled over for going 25 mph in a 15 mph school zone. That third one I set it to go to court and then re-scheduled the court date once right before the deadline and when I was at the court the cop never showed up.

But the best strategy that has worked best my entire life is the whole "Yes, Sir....Im sorry Sir....you are absolutely right......" kind of thing. Because the cops are all ego-maniacs and most times if you cower in submission and make them feel like they dominated you then most of the time they let you go free with a warning.

In this life you gotta know when to apply aggressive force and when to cower in feigned submission. And when worse comes to worse it never hurts to have $300 cash in the car to bribe the cop if it comes to that (like DUI or weed possession inside the car). Basically you have to have alot of tools in your toolbox
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I get your point, but keep in mind this is a global Mirage/Space Star forum. Some people may remember their grandparents having the SS police knock at their door in occupied Holland. Or the Dutch army dropping bombs in Indonesia. My friend fled Vietnam so he doesn't know the exact year he was born, and his family supported the south. So it's all relative, no disrespect meant. But I have Detroit news on my cable TV too so I'm not blind to the issues America continues to face. Rich people get bone spurs more.

Regarding respecting veterans, not only do I wear a poppy over my heart all the time from now til November 11, mine has tape on it to keep the poppy on.
    Comparing our local police to the Nazi (SS Police) is a bit of stretch I believe. I'm sorry, but America's issues are not the police. Since this is not a politic forum, I will leave it at that. If you want good American news coverage, watch news from Australia. I don't know why, but they cover our country better than anyone? Seriously, they are open & fair. American new coverage is a mess. Now, I'm done!

If I offended anyone, I apologize up front. I am far from perfect!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-02-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Comparing our local police to the Nazi (SS Police) is a bit of stretch I believe. I'm sorry, but America's issues are not the police. Since this is not a politic forum, I will leave it at that. If you want good American news coverage, watch news from Australia. I don't know why, but they cover our country better than anyone? Seriously, they are open & fair. American new coverage is a mess. Now, I'm done!

If I offended anyone, I apologize up front. I am far from perfect!
    No Mark your fine. It's my fault cracking the "yay I didn't get shot" joke in the 1st place. So I'm the one who is sorry. There is an old saying in comedy, know thy audience.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No Mark your fine. It's my fault cracking the "yay I didn't get shot" joke in the 1st place. So I'm the one who is sorry. There is an old saying in comedy, know thy audience.
    You hear all these critics claim the Mirage is slow. A Mirage doing down the interstate @ 75 mph is going the same speed as a Corvette going 75 mph. The Mirage is just doing it more efficiently. You may have to hang on a little tighter when taking the same curves with Mirage, however.

When someone asks if your 3-cylinder Mirage is slow, you can flash your speeding ticket in their face now!

Sorry to hear about your ticket. I think you handled it great! We could all use a little more humor in our lives.

The world needs to lighten up some. Dirk - you're a good example of that to all of us! I appreciate that!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-01-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    You hear all these critics claim the Mirage is slow. A Mirage doing down the interstate @ 75 mph is going the same speed as a Corvette going 75 mph. The Mirage is just doing it more efficiently. You may have to hang on a little tighter when taking the same curves with Mirage, however.

When someone asks if your 3-cylinder Mirage is slow, you can flash your speeding ticket in their face now!

Sorry to hear about your ticket. I think you handled it great! We could all use a little more humor in our lives.

The world needs to lighten up some. Dirk - you're a good example of that to all of us! I appreciate that!
    These cars handle 80 mph pretty good IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Yeah, let’s see a picture.

I won’t say your Mirage is slow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    These cars handle 80 mph pretty good IMO.
    Stock tires will roll to 80 and keep 80 well.

If you want to drive with confidence in any speed over 45, I suggest stiffening up the suspension and maybe wider tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Because the cops are all ego-maniacs and most times if you cower in submission and make them feel like they dominated you then most of the time they let you go free with a warning.

In this life you gotta know when to apply aggressive force and when to cower in feigned submission. And when worse comes to worse it never hurts to have $300 cash in the car to bribe the cop if it comes to that (like DUI or weed possession inside the car). Basically you have to have alot of tools in your toolbox
    I don't know what world you live in, but it's not the same world I live in.

In my world, it is a very simple affair. If I demonstrate to any or all law enforcement personnel that I'm not a threat to them, they are absolutely not a threat to me. And it is simply not true that all cops are ego-maniacs. Just not true. There are some, I'll give you that.

But some things that some people fail to realize: 1) Being law enforcement is a damn difficult job, 2) those guys simply want to go home to their family at the end of the day, and they prefer to not go home in a body bag, 3) those guys practice shooting with their guns A LOT, and 4) due to #2 and #3, if one chooses to combat against a LEO, your chances of losing that battle is very high.

Why not cut them some slack? Go be a cop yourself and come back in here after a year or two and see if you feel compelled to edit your post.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-02-2020)