Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficiency: Unexpected differences (comparing each half of a round trip)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm sure many rental/lease vehicles are slightly abused, too.
    Slightly? Have you ever rented a car? When I do, one or the other pedal is to the floor. Not every tire is in contact with the ground at all times. A rental car is where I learned how to do a proper neutral drop.

I rented a G4 CVT turd from Turo one time on vacation, just for fun. I've never had a throttle planted to a floor more in any vehicle. I took it to Death Valley and still hammered it everywhere. It started having some kind of problem in Death Valley. I can't remember exactly. But in the hottest part of death valley, full max A/C, me giving it hell, I want to say, it started making some kind of weird smell that was blowing into the cabin. And it was just barely keep the inside of the car cool. I decided that since I was in Death Valley, in the middle of no friggin where, in August and noone around, maybe I should take it more easy on the car ... just in case. I did, but the weird smell didn't go away until we got out of Death Valley. I think something under the hood might have been burning.

So, abused? Yeah, they get the crap beat out of them.

Last edited by 7milesout; 12-18-2020 at 06:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Mark (12-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha! So you know all about the dramatic impact of aerodynamics on motorbikes. Craig Vetter has made some fantastically efficient streamlined motorbikes for those competitions.
    That's my red CTX700 next to Fred Hayes diesel in 2014. Fred finished 2nd that day even though he had his best Challenge finish ever at 181 mpg. Vic's Vetter bike beat him that day barely at about 183 mpg; breaking Fred's streak. Vic began to dominate just as the Challenges began to fizzle out. I went back two years later and finished with a more reasonable result at 87 mpg. Vic won that one as well at something like 240 mpg; but none of the ICE bike riders were happy that day, not even Vic, because Craig had shortened the ride so much trying to help out the electric bikes that it may have skewed our results; especially the real fuel misers. I this controversial year was 2016. Vic wasn't happy, because it took so little fuel for he and a couple others to top back up that he and others thought it wasn't likely accurate, and so they didn't feel it was a fair competiton. My result seemed about right. The photo is from 2014 though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gregsfc; 12-20-2020 at 06:39 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Slightly? Have you ever rented a car? When I do, one or the other pedal is to the floor. Not every tire is in contact with the ground at all times. A rental car is where I learned how to do a proper neutral drop.

I rented a G4 CVT turd from Turo one time on vacation, just for fun. I've never had a throttle planted to a floor more in any vehicle. I took it to Death Valley and still hammered it everywhere. It started having some kind of problem in Death Valley. I can't remember exactly. But in the hottest part of death valley, full max A/C, me giving it hell, I want to say, it started making some kind of weird smell that was blowing into the cabin. And it was just barely keep the inside of the car cool. I decided that since I was in Death Valley, in the middle of no friggin where, in August and noone around, maybe I should take it more easy on the car ... just in case. I did, but the weird smell didn't go away until we got out of Death Valley. I think something under the hood might have been burning.

So, abused? Yeah, they get the crap beat out of them.
    If you asked to borrow my Mirage, I would say "no"!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-21-2020),Fummins (12-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you asked to borrow my Mirage, I would say "no"!
    I just got to "clean out the carbon" from time to time ya know, make sure the car can "sufficiently" go up to Red line lol...
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've only "cleaned the carbon out" once in the Blueberry Vomit. It has more acceleration than I expected. Way more than the Turo turd I rented. But I'm going to keep my foot out of it until 5,000 miles. And even then I may not hammer it much. Just not worth it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Could it also have anything to do with incline? Obviously you'd use more gas climbing even a slight incline than you would coasting down.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLandYacht For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey 7milesout let’s revisit this in 3-5,000 miles after break-in.
    Ha! I just did revisit this mpg after break-in. I just went up there and back this past weekend. My sons just wanted to go. They had few school commitments. So we loaded the car up and went. Lots of differences in this trip though. From the cursory check of the owner's manual, it seems the difference between the G.V.W.R. and the weight of the car is about 827 pounds.

Myself and my 3 sons, we're about 880 pounds. Plus our luggage. We easily put 910 ± 20 pounds on the car. So, it was officially over-loaded. Aside from the rear suspension bottoming out, it handled it well.

My oldest son is maybe 220 pounds. We picked him up at KSU, which is about 1/3rd of the drive up there. That last 200 lbs really makes a difference on the suspension. Even without that last ~200 pounds, I think we bottomed out a bit on I-285. But after my 3rd son getting in, it bottomed on anything more than a cute little bunny bump. But not horrible bottoming. It only bottomed out badly 1 time. So, write this down in your little black book, expect bottoming near G.V.W.R.

Because I had forgotten about this post and the 72 mph certified rating speed, we ran a steady 70 mph. As I'm always trying to achieve. Long story short, the B AVG read 43.8 mpg. 43.8 x 0.93 = 40.73 mpg. I find that OUTSTANDING. Considering it was 90°F+ on both interstate runs, so we were full blasting the AC (and it did keep up, but it felt like it had very little left in AC reserve), and the car was hauling OVER its G.V.W.R. $5 per gallon diesel fuel be damned, the jacked up Powerjokes rolling on hugh off-road tires were still blowing me off the road, and probably 11 mpg or so. But that's a different thread.

Just for the safety minded, before I left, not only did I confirm the air pressures were all good, I had the tires rotated ... again. I also confirmed that the tires are good for another 942 pounds above the G.V.W.R. That's 235.5 pounds per tire. Tires are always my biggest concern when it comes to safety.

Guys - It doesn't matter what other people say, or think about the Mirage. For the money, it is one helluva good tool. The fact that it knocked out 40.7 mpg under those conditions confirms that the engine wasn't working all that hard. In the fuel economy chart (I can't remember exactly how) I used the numbers and recreated the graph. I have found those lines to be VERY accurate. According to that chart, the 5-speed hatch @ 70 mph the numbers comes out to ~42.7 mpg. I did drive a skosh around town too, and under fully loaded conditions and full AC, I think my 40.7 mpg is quite amazing.

I'll keep posting here when I do a trip and have "certified" mpg numbers.

7milesout

I managed to get 9.6mpg and 8.6 mpg on my last two fill ups

In my truck.

While pulling our 13-14ish k trailer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is quite a heavy trailer. My 33' 5th wheel was ~9,500 lbs. I got 11.5 ~ 12 towing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That is quite a heavy trailer. My 33' 5th wheel was ~9,500 lbs. I got 11.5 ~ 12 towing it.
    Wow. Our previous trailer had a sticker that said it was 5000lb dry. I took it over the scales and it had 10,000lb on the axles lol. Our current one is a 34' back to the hitch bumper pull. I can't remember if I posted about it yet but I thought I blew up my truck and ended up using his new chevy 1/2 ton to tow it an hour to his place. I'll post a pic or it didn't happen.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)