Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire width preference??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I sort of feel a 5" wide rim, which is designed for 155-185 wide tires, would be a good size for a Mirage. Extra rim width just equals extra weight.

Sadly, 14" x 5" or 15 x 5" aftermarket rims are very hard to come by. Most aftermarket rims start with widths of 6" or 6.5".
    Tell me about it! When I was doing my research on which sizes and types of rims to get, the pickin's were indeed slim the slimmer I got. I ended up with 14x6, at least that doesn't force me away from a great tire selection. To the OP, do your homework BEFORE you do this, lots of fantastic info in this section. Spend an hour or two reading up, you'll thank all involved in the end I guaranty that

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a tricky question... Everyone has different preferences around here. Most of everyone is into the "saving gas" bandwagon while others are into making the car look good and even others are into making the car faster.

Which is why I have 3 sets of wheel+tire combos. The original alloys for long trips (gas saver w/ LRR tires), bottlecaps for everyday (looks better than stock + cheap rubber), and Enkei's for the track.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-03-2020),dragon2knight (11-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This is a tricky question... Everyone has different preferences ... "saving gas" bandwagon while others ... look good and even others .....
    Preference...?" Right.
    Should have said "wheel'srecommended" and I wasn't trying to degrade anyone's styles...

And after short study I think I'm going with all the above goals as much:
    Looks
    Convenience
    Fuel econ/
    not too off the oem specs: 15×6.5 185/55

But I cant believe even the cheaper ones come out to be $700+

And definitely keep the oem wheels incase I need to go to the dealers...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 18slcmirage View Post
    Preference...?" Right.
    Should have said "wheel'srecommended" and I wasn't trying to degrade anyone's styles...

And after short study I think I'm going with all the above goals as much:
    Looks
    Convenience
    Fuel econ/
    not too off the oem specs: 15×6.5 185/55

But I cant believe even the cheaper ones come out to be $700+

And definitely keep the oem wheels incase I need to go to the dealers...
    Whether you want to upgrade factory 165/65r14 (22.4") or 175/55r15 (22.6") tires, I feel 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 are very good options. Both are 23" outside diameter tires, & you are unlikely to have any clearance issues. These two sizes give you many tire choices to pick from, too.

I am mainly talking to those who are somewhat frustrated by the factory tire size options & would like to consider something else. Having said that, more 165/65r14 tire choices have appeared on the market in the past couple years. A person is not stuck picking 165/65r14 Dunlop or Bridgestone tires any more. Federal, Nexen, Kumho, Nokian, & Vredestein are providing some affordable 165/65r14 options these days. I am glad the tire market has expanded some for factory size tires for our Mirage.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-03-2020)