Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi to expand hybrids

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I guess it just REALLY depends on your situation. Adult-Me knows the PHEV is better. Kid-Me wants a JDM Classic Sports Car. Haha!

Would I purchase a PHEV? Hell yes. My commute to work is 'right' under the range of the Outlander PHEV. Right now, our Outlander Sport is just sitting. I think we've only put in around 5,000 miles (could be less) this whole year since the Pandemic.

PHEV is definitely the future. I think, eventually, we will get one down the road. I believe the Eclipse-Cross is getting a PHEV model too. Pretty sure Mitsubishi will eventually have the Mirage PHEV option.

I wonder what kind of mpg a PHEV Mirage would get?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I wonder what kind of mpg a PHEV Mirage would get?
    Depends on how far you drive at a time I guess. I looked up some ioniq phev numbers on fuelly, some vary between 100-250mpg.
    I found a 2012 volt that seemed to get crazy mileage that fuelly didn't seem to believe 5400miles used 8 gallons lol https://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet...ostinwi/381637 654mpg?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    They do get snow in Houston right? Or is it always sunny and nice like California? l don't know my Gegography and weather very well
    Houston is right near the gulf of Mexico so no, NO snow there lol. It's extremely humid down there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Depends on how far you drive at a time I guess. I looked up some ioniq phev numbers on fuelly, some vary between 100-250mpg.
    I found a 2012 volt that seemed to get crazy mileage that fuelly didn't seem to believe 5400miles used 8 gallons lol https://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet...ostinwi/381637 654mpg?
    That's crazy of true

Toyota RAV4 Hybrid-ultimate mpg, less reliability

Might want to double-check that! Toyotas hybrids are near bulletproof & the Prius is one of their most trouble-free cars, period. The company has been refining their hybrid engineering for over 20 years now. Taxi operators know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What in the world, that's some insane mileage from the Volts. Haha.

As for MPGs, I guess it just depends how much Mitsu invests on a PHEV Mirage too. I'm assuming the MPGs would be around what a Prius gets if the Mirage ever went with a PHEV model. Toyota has really refined the Prius too so I think a Mirage PHEV would take some work (alot of work) to have it compete next to a Prius.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Might want to double-check that! Toyotas hybrids are near bulletproof & the Prius is one of their most trouble-free cars, period. The company has been refining their hybrid engineering for over 20 years now. Taxi operators know.
    l don't want to deal with the hybrid system "if" it has a problem...besides all new cars now have the "safety shield" tech in them...more things to break IMO. Want reliable? Get the older Toyotas that don't have the safety stuff. Unfortunately l won't have that option down the road.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are we talking brand new?
    Toyota RAV4-unltimate reliability, but less Fuel economy, also AWD
    Toyota RAV4 Hybrid-ultimate mpg, less reliability
    Those are my choices
    I have an aunt who has an '09 camry hybrid with close to 200k miles. She has had to replace battery once within the past year or two. Other than that, no major issues. Also, Toyo has learned between 09 and now so I'm sure it's only better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I like the base FWD Outlander, better mpg, cheaper and plus your in Houston, hot weather town like Atlanta, so less need of AWD.
    I'd use the AWD for [mild] offroad applications.

They do get snow in Houston right? Or is it always sunny and nice like California? l don't know my Gegography and weather very well
    I'd use the AWD for [mild] offroad applications.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Unless you need a bigger vehicle for whatever reason, there's no point in going for a hybrid over a Mirage, the gas mileage is similar and the complications involved in getting to those great mileage numbers are considerably less. Simple trumps complicated in my book any day of the week.
    This vehicle will be a long-term (see: next 10-15yrs) and the wife and I are planning a kid sometime in the next 5-6yrs. By then the vehicle will be paid off and ready for family duties.

EDIT: After re-reading this, I feel like the Rav4 may be the better sell as there are a few unknowns on the Outlander PHEV front. Not much reliability as much as cost of maintenance in the future. Because Toyo has been in the hybrid game for so long, it's easier to predict future maintenance cost.

Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I guess it just REALLY depends on your situation. Adult-Me knows the PHEV is better. Kid-Me wants a JDM Classic Sports Car. Haha!

Would I purchase a PHEV? Hell yes. My commute to work is 'right' under the range of the Outlander PHEV. Right now, our Outlander Sport is just sitting. I think we've only put in around 5,000 miles (could be less) this whole year since the Pandemic.

PHEV is definitely the future. I think, eventually, we will get one down the road. I believe the Eclipse-Cross is getting a PHEV model too. Pretty sure Mitsubishi will eventually have the Mirage PHEV option.
    Between the mirage and the TT, I'm covered on the 'sports car' end of the spectrum. My daily commute is over both the Rav4 and Outlander PHEV range so I'll be using the PHEV just for a "boost" in MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Houston is right near the gulf of Mexico so no, NO snow there lol. It's extremely humid down there.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes.

l don't want to deal with the hybrid system "if" it has a problem...besides all new cars now have the "safety shield" tech in them...more things to break IMO. Want reliable? Get the older Toyotas that don't have the safety stuff. Unfortunately l won't have that option down the road.
    The days of DIY repairs are nearing the end because of more and more electronics and programming. Just the way things will be, I guess.

I hope the Mirage doesn't go hybrid, instead i hope they refine it and the 3a92 further to squeeze out more MPGs. The Mirage being an entry level subcompact would just become more complex and expensive than it already is. Keep it simple and priced low for the buyers who can't or don't want to spend the extra money. Add the hybrid stuff to the SUVs as those shoppers are naturally looking and willing to spend more money anyways. SUVs with their okay fuel economy would benefit most from the hybrid stuff. Keep making the Mirage the most affordable most fuel efficient non-hybrid in your lineup. Otherwise it'll basically become the now discontinued Prius C. If Toyota couldn't hack a hybrid subcompact what chances does Mitsubishi have? (Well at least here in the states)
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 11-06-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I hope the Mirage doesn't go hybrid, instead i hope they refine it and the 3a92 further to squeeze out more MPGs. The Mirage being an entry level subcompact would just become more complex and expensive than it already is. Keep it simple and priced low for the buyers who can't or don't want to spend the extra money. Add the hybrid stuff to the SUVs as those shoppers are naturally looking and willing to spend more money anyways. SUVs with their okay fuel economy would benefit most from the hybrid stuff. Keep making the Mirage the most affordable most fuel efficient non-hybrid in your lineup. Otherwise it'll basically become the now discontinued Prius C. If Toyota couldn't hack a hybrid subcompact what chances does Mitsubishi have? (Well at least here in the states)
    I have to agree with this. Small electrified vehicles (See: Prius C, Spark EV, MBW i3) have already failed.

I'd rather Mitsu refine the mirage rather than hybridize it. Give the mirage a proper 6MT, suspension, +20HP, blind spot monitor, and smart cruise control, priced under $15k and I'll pick up a 2nd one tomorrow.

Love the multi-quoting
    There was a thread about it recently