Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi to expand hybrids

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mitsubishi to expand hybrids

Maybe this will trickle down to a future Mirage? Wouldn't take more than a couple nicad "D" cells...

On Monday the automaker said it will launch a robust electrified-vehicle push—centering on plug-in hybrids.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ay-this-decade

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-06-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: (added info to post)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am due to purchase a vehicle next year (really this year, but choosing to buy a house instead) and have been doing some research.

My daily drive is around 40 miles one way driving from the suburbs into downtown Houston. I'm trying to justify the extra cost of a hybrid or even PHEV over their non-electric counterparts. The price difference is usually +$2k more for a hybrid and as much as +$10k for a PHEV.

I just dont think gas $ savings will be more than the cost of going with electrified vehicles especially considering the potential need to replace batteries at or around 10yrs/150k miles. Furthermore, I dont believe my driving style and the 70% (or so) highway driving make for good scenarios for electrified vehicles.

FWIW, I've been eyeing:
    1. Outlander AWD vs Outlander PHEV
    2. Rav4 AWD vs Rav4 Hybrid vs Rav4 PHEV

I prefer AWD for the (mild) offroad adventures I have during the summer.

Thoughts?

I'm already considering a plug in hybrid to replace my car when the time comes. I'd be looking a lot sooner if they were priced closer to $20-30k(cad) and had 40-50 mile electric range. It's hard to justify buying a ioniq or prius prime for almost $40,000(cad) when my Mirage is paid for and it's not uncommon to spend more for beer than gas in one month.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-05-2020),Dirk Diggler (11-05-2020),dragon2knight (11-05-2020),MirageRally (11-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I am due to purchase a vehicle next year (really this year, but choosing to buy a house instead) and have been doing some research.

My daily drive is around 40 miles one way driving from the suburbs into downtown Houston. I'm trying to justify the extra cost of a hybrid or even PHEV over their non-electric counterparts. The price difference is usually +$2k more for a hybrid and as much as +$10k for a PHEV.

I just dont think gas $ savings will be more than the cost of going with electrified vehicles especially considering the potential need to replace batteries at or around 10yrs/150k miles. Furthermore, I dont believe my driving style and the 70% (or so) highway driving make for good scenarios for electrified vehicles.

FWIW, I've been eyeing:
    1. Outlander AWD vs Outlander PHEV
    2. Rav4 AWD vs Rav4 Hybrid vs Rav4 PHEV

I prefer AWD for the (mild) offroad adventures I have during the summer.

Thoughts?
    Are we talking brand new?
    Toyota RAV4-unltimate reliability, but less Fuel economy, also AWD
    Toyota RAV4 Hybrid-ultimate mpg, less reliability
    Those are my choices
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I like the base FWD Outlander, better mpg, cheaper and plus your in Houston, hot weather town like Atlanta, so less need of AWD.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I like the base FWD Outlander, better mpg, cheaper and plus your in Houston, hot weather town like Atlanta, so less need of AWD.
    They do get snow in Houston right? Or is it always sunny and nice like California? l don't know my Gegography and weather very well
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unless you need a bigger vehicle for whatever reason, there's no point in going for a hybrid over a Mirage, the gas mileage is similar and the complications involved in getting to those great mileage numbers are considerably less. Simple trumps complicated in my book any day of the week.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (11-06-2020),Eggman (11-05-2020),inuvik (11-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Unless you need a bigger vehicle for whatever reason, there's no point in going for a hybrid over a Mirage, the gas mileage is similar and the complications involved in getting to those great mileage numbers are considerably less. Simple trumps complicated in my book any day of the week.
    Hear hear!

This is why I’m here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (11-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got my daughter an Ioniq PHEV a month before I got the Mirage. She liked the car, had free charging at school and would rarely go anywhere to burn petrol unless coming home. Electric fits her needs well for the next 3 years. I got the Mirage because I drive a lot and it fit my usage better. The Mirage fits better and better every day and is what I drive 95% of the time over a 2020 Optima and my Evo

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (11-05-2020),MetroMPG (11-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess it just REALLY depends on your situation. Adult-Me knows the PHEV is better. Kid-Me wants a JDM Classic Sports Car. Haha!

Would I purchase a PHEV? Hell yes. My commute to work is 'right' under the range of the Outlander PHEV. Right now, our Outlander Sport is just sitting. I think we've only put in around 5,000 miles (could be less) this whole year since the Pandemic.

PHEV is definitely the future. I think, eventually, we will get one down the road. I believe the Eclipse-Cross is getting a PHEV model too. Pretty sure Mitsubishi will eventually have the Mirage PHEV option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)