Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage getting a new competitor in Canada: 2015 Nissan Micra

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    The Nissan Micra is one of the main competitors to the Mirage here in Thailand. They are priced about the same. I considered it before i bought the Attrage but was not keen on the styling. Looks like a Noddy car to me.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I wonder, in NL it's not a competition in terms of how cheap the car is. It's base price is 1.250 euro higher than mirage ($ 1.700) more expensive, that's just base price. The Mirage's most expensive model manual costs 13.190 euro while the nissan costs 16.375.
    It may looks a slim difference, but 3000 or heck even 1000 euro is A LOT of litres of gas (if you rather spend the price difference on gas)!!!
    I go for eco reason, I might as well go all the way eco to get the cheapest car for the most options and use the price difference on gas. Mirage still has no competition on this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by chris2004 View Post
    Looks like a Noddy car to me.
    Had to look that one up.

Name:  character_noddy_car.jpg
Views: 5453
Size:  13.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I go for eco reason, I might as well go all the way eco to get the cheapest car for the most options and use the price difference on gas. Mirage still has no competition on this.
    I agree. I suspect the next generation Mazda2/Yaris (apparently this will be a collaboration between the two companies with Mazda building the 2 in Mexico and re-badging it as a Yaris) may compete if Mazda follows the "SkyActiv" high compression/direct injection route with the next generation Mazda2.

The Mirage is of great interest to me because it is an inexpensive car to buy and run, but also because they really left the crowd of car manufacturing which for years focused on bigger, more powerful, and lots of fancy and often extraneous bells and whistles. I like the Mirage's commitment to simplicity/essentials. I am interested in the Honda Fit as well, but every time I read the word "infotainment" I get seriously turned off. A car, to my mind, should have a great engine at it's core - not a great set of electronic gadgets!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (02-11-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It is usual to see some camouflaged cars on the roads in LA. Today, I ran into a Micra. It had some camouflage stripes on the top side of the car, which were hardly visible from the side. I managed to make a quick photo:
    Name:  micra1.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  82.3 KB

Couple of days ago I had asked the corporate communications manager of Nissan USA, how many Nissan's Versa Note they've sold in Dec of 2013 and also for the entire 2013 year. That's what he said:
    We do not report sales of the Versa and Versa Note separately. We report the Versa nameplate collectively.
    After this words we can figure out that the sales of Versa Note itself are not significant to compare the Versa Sedan sales.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BTW, checked the Nissan Mexico, they have the March, which is renamed Micra in some other countries. It is equipped with 4-cylinder HR16DE engine (106 hp). Here is the fuel economy figures:

Name:  march.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  10.1 KB

to MPG US
    35.3 / 35
    49.1 / 48.6
    41.6 / 41.1

However, doesn't specify which type of fuel economy test it was based on, but to compare Mexican Nissan Sentra's FE numbers to US Sentra's that test was not based on US EPA rating.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2014)

Thanks for the extra info. Very interesting to see the Micra driving around in LA! Makes one wonder if it's really true that there's NO plan to sell it in the U.S.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Darin!

I didn't see what kind of license plate that car had. Many camouflaged cars have Michigan license, some of others are from California.
    However, because of the Mexican border, I sometimes see "stranger" cars like Nissan X-trail, Mitsubishi Montero Sport (second gen) or even exotic Renault Clio.

This Micra had zebra-like black stripes, that's how I figured that it was a test car. I hope this is no NO plans to sell it in US.

The camo looks to be on the rear spoiler -- maybe they're working on a longer "aero" type spoiler like the Mirage has. Will help improve highway mileage a tiny bit.

Micra sales projections...

Some Nissan sales projections chatter:

[Nissan Canada's new president] figures the Micra and the Versa Note, the existing Nissan subcompact, can take between 25 and 30 per cent of the [100,000 units/year Canadian subcompact] market. He won’t explicitly say it, but that means sales of about 13,000 units for the Micra because Nissan sold a little more than 12,000 Versa Notes last year.
    I can't see it. They're going to have to price this car insanely low to get those kinds of numbers here.

Context: Chevy sold just 2550 Sparks in Canada last year. Mitsu is headed for similar numbers with the Mirage.

The price of the car will be announced at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto on Thursday.
    Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle16792332/