Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Door Locks Stopped Working...Sort Of - Fixed! CVT Shifter Not Fully Seated in Park

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I think about it, for the last couple of weeks, I've occaisionally had a problem locking the doors while driving, sometimes having to push the lock button 2 or 3 times before it would respond.

Perhaps the switch on the shift lever is going bad. I wonder what's involved in replacing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Eggman, you hit that nail right on the head...the shift lever was, apparently, not fully seated in the park position; I wiggled it and heard a little click from it. After that, I found the doors would lock with the remotes and the door switches. What a bizarre little car!!
    Sweet victory! Those symptoms sounded like they had a simple cause from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's good news. But weird. I would have thought that the key would be stuck in the ignition?
    The Mirage steering column isn’t locked by the keyswitch either - do you think there’s any correlation?

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, have to put this one in the books for Mirage quirks.
    Sounds like a unpublished safety feature. It’s probably in the manual somewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Awesome. The question remains, if it is covered bumper to bumper, the dealer should be able to put an end to this condition. Especially now that you know it is related to the shift lever.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Now that I think about it, for the last couple of weeks, I've occaisionally had a problem locking the doors while driving, sometimes having to push the lock button 2 or 3 times before it would respond.

Perhaps the switch on the shift lever is going bad. I wonder what's involved in replacing it.
    If the dealer won't help or isn't worth the hassle https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...n-CVT-shifter)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

The Mirage steering column isn’t locked by the keyswitch either - do you think there’s any correlation?

I don't follow you. What steering column lock?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think he's refering to the lock that prevents removal of the key when the gear shift lever is NOT in Park.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car would prevent you from locking the keys in the cae if the key sense in the ignition was active

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of cars would/will lock the steering column when the ignition switch is set to the Off position and the key removed. This generation Mirage doesn’t do that. Was wondering that since we have this simpler ignition switch it was decided to not allow the car doors to lock unless ETACS sees the transmission is in Park.

Typing is hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    The car would prevent you from locking the keys in the cae if the key sense in the ignition was active
    Are you sure about this? Should still be able to lock your doors to prevent uninvited guests.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Lots of cars would/will lock the steering column when the ignition switch is set to the Off position and the key removed. This generation Mirage doesn’t do that. Was wondering that since we have this simpler ignition switch it was decided to not allow the car doors to lock unless ETACS sees the transmission is in Park.

Typing is hard.
    Reading is hard...lol... What do you mean steering column lock? When I turn off my car my steering column doesn't lock... When my car is off I can turn the wheel any way I want. Is it Automatic only?
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Comprehension is hard lol

Ok.....I'm 99% sure no Mirage's sold in North America from 2013 to 2019 came with lock that locks the steering wheel......

I checked my own car that uses a metal ignition key with keyless entry buttons on the key itself. With the drivers door closed, you can lock the doors with the switch while the key is in the ignition in any position. I didn't try using the key fob cause why would anyone do that? So yes you can stop unwanted guests from getting in your car.

Open the drivers door and it's a different story. Door open, leave the key in the ignition in ANY position, off, acc, run, and even while the car is running...I could not lock the doors. You can use the power lock switch and the doors will lock then unlock, lock the door with the button next to the inner door handle and the door will automatically unlock. It's idiot proof though I still see people lock themselves out of these cars with the key in the ignition.... Figure that one out...

The one car I had in the shop that had the key stuck in the ignition turned out to have the micro switch on the front of the shifter worn and "out of adjustment". I'm just surprised that switch caused the doors not to lock and no other problems in the circuit like key being stuck in the column, unless ignition tumbler is worn out and key comes out in any position? I have seen that in a 2017 already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)